The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 03, 2001, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS has published the new rule changes for 2002.........for those of you who are interested......

I am copying them here.....if they get all screwed up in the conversion.......the link to the changes are at the bottom of this post.

Let's here some comments.........

Joel

2002 NFHS Softball Rules Changes

1-1-5 g New New sub-article added indicating that players shall wear their uniforms properly and as designed.
3-1-1 Note 2 & 6-2-5 Note 2
The rules prohibiting a pitcher from returning to pitch if the umpire permits her substitute more than five warm-up pitches were deleted.
3-1-3 All substitutes will be permitted one re-entry, which is currently just the rule for starters. Therefore, all players will be permitted one re-entry provided they return to the same spot in the batting order.
3-1-7 d New New sub-article added indicating that once a team has gone shorthanded and another eligible player arrives, that player may fill the empty space in the line up.
7-3-5 Changed three offensive interference rules to standardize the penalties - an immediate dead ball and an out being called on the offender.
8-4-2 (old) When interference is called on:
8-6-10 thru 13 (new) The batter – the batter is out and runners are returned regardless of the number of outs. (7-3-5)
8-6-10 b(new)& The runner – the runner is out. (8-6-10 through 13)
7-4-1 i A runner for interfering with a foul fly ball – the runner is out and a strike is called on the batter. (8-6-10 b/7-4-1 i)
8-4-2 k (old)
8-8-10 (new)
A “no pitch” will be declared and a runner will be permitted to return to her base when she was legally off her base after a pitch and didn’t have sufficient time to return.
8-4-2 k Note (old)
8-7-1 (new)
The "look back rule" has been revised to be in effect after the batter-runner reaches first base.

10-4-2 Permits each state association to determine the state’s official umpire uniform (color of shirts/slacks).
2002 MAJOR EDITORIAL REVISIONS

1-1-6 A batting helmet bearing the NOCSAE embossed stamp and exterior warning label is mandatory for each batter.
1-1-7 Requires a catcher to wear a head protection with double earflaps.
Beginning January 1, 2003, the catcher’s helmet and mask combination shall meet the NOCSAE standard and have full ear protection (dual earflaps).
2 Rule 2 has been completely re-written.
3-3-1 j The coach shall not be in possession of any object in the coach’s box other than scorekeeping materials/devices.

6-2-5 Pen A sentence was added to the last part of the penalty that indicates the penalty does not apply if the umpire delays the start of play due to substitution, conference, injuries, etc.
8 Rule 8 has been completely re-written utilizing penalties and “effects.”
No old rule
8-3-4 (new)
Clarifies that when a runner passes a base, she is considered to have touched it for the purpose of an appeal.
8-4-2 k Note (old)
8-7-1 (new)
Clarifies that the ball need only be in the pitcher’s possession for the Look-Back Rule to be in effect.

2002 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. Appeal play – passing a base
2. Awarded bases – 3-foot lane

3. Properly fitting helmets, uniforms, equipment

4. DH/substitutes/batting order/line-up cards

http://www.nfhs.org/sports/softball_rules_change.htm

Old Mon Aug 06, 2001, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

W O W....

Joel,

Thanks for brinning that NFHS Thing up.
Kinda forget to go there this time of
year...grin

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Should be interesting, we've got our state convention (Pa) at the end of this week.
Old Tue Aug 07, 2001, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

The change in the re-entry rule is ridiculous. It adds nothing to the game except now that the coaches will be allowed to use certain players more, fewer girls will get to play.

And good luck keeping a neat line-up card.

Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

From the baseball side...

The new Fed rules for baseball allow the coach to make both a live ball and a dead ball appeal.

What do you think of that idea? Will this change morph over to Fed softball?

Sounds to me like a coach's dream. He no longer has to coach his player to make the appeal, he can just shout to the umpire.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Uh Dakota,

NFHS softball already has dead ball appeals. They were put into effect last year. Since ASA has been allowing them for years and since most HS players play ASA in the summer, it was no big deal; in my area anyway.

--Sam
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Mike,

I tend to disagree with you on the substitution rule. Starters were already allowed to re-enter which meant that subs could be burned as a pinch runner standing on 2nd while the side struck out. By allowing the sub to reenter, at least you give them another chance to get into the game. Also by allowing a team that is playing shorthanded to put a late arriving player into the lineup, you give a girl who had another school commitment to at least get into part of the game instead of watching from the bench.

--Sam
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Uh Dakota,

NFHS softball already has dead ball appeals. They were put into effect last year. Since ASA has been allowing them for years and since most HS players play ASA in the summer, it was no big deal; in my area anyway.

--Sam
Sam,

It's the coach making the live (or dead, for that matter) ball appeal on such things as a missed base that seems a bit unusual. Is this already part of Fed softball? It's not part of ASA (except for appealing BOO).
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
The change in the re-entry rule is ridiculous. It adds nothing to the game except now that the coaches will be allowed to use certain players more, fewer girls will get to play.

And good luck keeping a neat line-up card.

Totally agree, just lets coacher keep using *favorites*
more often. Line up card will be full of footnotes.

glen

--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Uh Dakota,

--Sam
Sam,

It's the coach making the live (or dead, for that matter) ball appeal on such things as a missed base that seems a bit unusual. Is this already part of Fed softball? It's not part of ASA (except for appealing BOO).
How is a coach going to make a live ball appeal without interfering with the game?

I a coach wants to make an appeal, the play is going to be suspended since as the umpire, I'm not going to turn my back to the field to listen to a coaches appeal. I am, also, not going to be liable for recognizing a particular coaches voice while I am watching a play unfold.

Nope, ain't gonna happen.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Dakota,

Sorry, didn't catch the part about the coach, that's NOT in Fed Softball. It still has to be an infielder making the dead ball appeals.

--Sam

P.S. Would one of you knowledgable gentlemen explain to me how giving subs a reentry is going to result in less girls playing? I must be dense, but I just don't see it.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

P.S. Would one of you knowledgable gentlemen explain to me how giving subs a reentry is going to result in less girls playing?

I didn't make that claim, but I have been thinking about it. How about this... Let's say you have 14 on your roster, 9 starters and 3 really good subs and 2 benchwarmers.

With sub re-entry, then you really have 12 starters, for all practical purposes, and 2 subs. Since you don't "use up" your first subs when the starters reenter, you don't get to your final 2 subs as often.

Net result: more playing time for the 3 "top subs" and less playing time for the 2 "benchwarmers."

Will it really make a difference with real teams? Who knows... I'm not a coach.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb The light comes on

Thanks Dakota, NOW it makes sense.

--Sam
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

This sub re-entry thing can add
loads of power to the line-up.
A roster of 12 players, three of
them being excellent hitters, with
little defense abilities, entering
and re-entering....can easily alter
the results of a game. Kinda makes
you wanta get into coaching...
Ha.

glen
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Aug 08, 2001, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Major Baseball Rule Change

FED baseball made some changes for the following year which does away with the automatic appeal.......however......I believe they made a bit of a boo-boo in their language.......

The following is from Tim Stevens.....rule interpreter for Washington State NFHS Baseball..........I have bolded and upsized an area I hope does not come to softball......

It reads....
8-2 Pen. (New) - Replace rule with:. . .For failure to touch a base (advancing or returning), or failure to tag up as soon as the ball is touched on a caught fly ball, the runner may be called out if an appeal is made by the defensive team. The defense may appeal during a live ball immediately following the play and before a pitch, legal or illegal. A live ball appeal may be made by a coach or any defensive player with the ball in his possession by tagging the runner or touching the base that was missed or left too early. A dead ball appeal may be made by a coach or any defensive player with or without the ball by verbally stating that the runner missed the base or left the base too soon. Appeals must be made (1) before the next legal or illegal pitch, (2) at the end of an inning, before the pitcher and all infielders have left fair territory, or (3) on the last play of the game, an appeal can be made until the umpires leave the field of play. NOTE: When a play, by its very nature is imminent and is obvious to the offense, defense, and umpire(s), no verbal appeal is necessary (e.g. runner attempting to retouch a base that was missed, or a failure to tag up and a throw has been made to that base or plate while a play is in progress).

APPEAL PROCEDURES AND GUIDELINES

1. Types

a. Missing a base

b. Leaving a base on a caught fly ball before the ball is first touched.

2. Live Ball. In all games an appeal may be made during a live ball by any fielder in possession of the ball touching the base missed or left too soon on a caught fly ball, or by tagging the runner committing the violation if he is still on the playing field.

3. Dead Ball. The dead ball appeal may be made: 1) Once all runners have completed their advancement and time has been called, a coach or any defensive player, with or without the ball, may make a verbal appeal on a runner missing a base or leaving a base too soon on a caught fly ball. The administering umpire should then make a decision on the play. 2) If the ball has gone out of play, runners must be given the opportunity to complete their base running responsibilities before the dead ball appeal can be made.

4. May Not Return. A runner may not return to touch a missed base or one left too soon on a caught fly ball if:

a) he has reached a base beyond the base missed or left too soon and the ball becomes dead,

b) he has left the field of play, or

c) a following runner has scored.

5. Advance. Runners may advance during a live ball appeal play. If a time out is requested for an appeal, the umpire should grant it, and runners may not advance until the ball becomes live again.

6. More Than One Appeal. Multiple appeals are permitted as long as they do not become a travesty of the game.

7. Awards. An appeal must be honored even if the base missed was before or after an award.

8. Tag-Ups. If a runner leaves a base too soon on a caught fly ball and returns in an attempt to retag, this is considered a time play and not a force out. If the appeal is the third out, all runs scored by runners in advance of the appealed runner and scored ahead of the legal appeal would count.

9. Fourth Out Appeal. An appeal may be made after the third out as long as it is made properly and the resulting appeal is an apparent 4th out.

10. End of Game. If any situation arises which could lead to an appeal by the defense on the last play of the game, the appeal must be made while an umpire is still on the field of play.

Rationale: The appeal play is a traditional play in baseball and has remained so in other rule codes.

There are some differences in how FED baseball handled the dead ball appeal..........allowing the coach to make an appeal is a mistake in my opinion (especially a live ball appeal........ouch......how are they going to do that??........they should have studied the SB rule a little better........Nahhhhhh......they would NEVER listen to SB people...........grin.

Joel