The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Four-hour FP game.

A member of our ASA association recently worked the 10-and-under girls' LL softball "Districts" and reported that one of his games started at 6:00 p.m. and ended at 10:04. No delays for rain, injuries, fixing the field, getting the lights working, or anything else. It took 4 hours and 4 minutes to play a 6-inning, 28-26 game. (Too bad it wasn't tied after 6 innings!)

He said there were a lot of walks. Hmm. I wouldn't have guessed.

These games pay $25, so that's $6.25 an hour (and he got to the field an hour early, as instructed). But even for just the game time, he worked for less than minimum wage in New Jersey.

I've heard some of the old-timers around here reminisce about the marathon FP games of the 1940s and 1950s (2-1 in 31 innings, game ended at 2 in the morning, etc.), but I know I never did a softball game that took anywhere near 4 hours. The rec leagues have time limits, and so do the tournaments, except sometimes in the semifinals and finals, where the pitching is likely to be good and long games rare.

But the LL tournament games have no time limit.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I worked a high school game that went nearly that long (just shy of 4 hours if memory serves), but it was the opposite. Probably 15 or 16 innings, 2-2 tie until about the 10th, where both teams scored 1 run, ended in a 4-3 final on a walk-off 2-out HBP.

The odd thing was that the losing team was nearly undefeated and the winning team had only won a few games - but they brought their A+ pitching and fielding that day.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

My fourth or fifth HS game (Varsity) took FORTY (40) minutes. Both pitchers had great speed and control; no walks. Total of five hits. Two runners reached 3B. Luckily the home team's runner scored. 1-0 final. Home pitcher's Dad was a pitching coach, and the head coach. Pitcher got a scholarship to UCLA.

Had a college triple header that took 5 1/2 hours, first pitch to last out. Including time between games.

Bob

Last edited by bluezebra; Wed Aug 02, 2006 at 06:48pm.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

This year, my shortest college doubleheader took 2:45 (games were 1-0 and 2-0).

The longest took 4:30. We were entering the top of the fourth when a baseball game started on the adjacent field. The baseball game ended first.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Sure wish we could find some quick college games in Pensacola. Most seem to run long -- many conferences, not infrequent pitching changes, pitchers and hitters using all of their allotted time between pitches.

Did have a one memorable evening in HS. JV game was 7 innings in 1:10. Varsity was 5-inning run rule in 1:07.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad
Sure wish we could find some quick college games in Pensacola. Most seem to run long -- many conferences, not infrequent pitching changes, pitchers and hitters using all of their allotted time between pitches.

Did have a one memorable evening in HS. JV game was 7 innings in 1:10. Varsity was 5-inning run rule in 1:07.

7th/8th grade game full 7 innings in 1:10

PONY 14U tournament....1:15 time limit, had the only games that went 7 that day...a FULL 7......two straight games....
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
A member of our ASA association recently worked the 10-and-under girls' LL softball "Districts" and reported that one of his games started at 6:00 p.m. and ended at 10:04. No delays for rain, injuries, fixing the field, getting the lights working, or anything else. It took 4 hours and 4 minutes to play a 6-inning, 28-26 game. (Too bad it wasn't tied after 6 innings!)

He said there were a lot of walks. Hmm. I wouldn't have guessed.
Somebody needed to adjust their strike zone!

Either that or call more time outs.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

If you want a fast game, do Co-Ed 16" SP. I've done about 20 games this year ranging from 32-54 minutes. Do 4 of those in a night, just about the easiest $100 I've ever earned.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzme415
If you want a fast game, do Co-Ed 16" SP. I've done about 20 games this year ranging from 32-54 minutes. Do 4 of those in a night, just about the easiest $100 I've ever earned.
How do you get the women to play with 16" balls?.......get your collective minds out of the gutter, pigs!

Two years ago, I tried to get the 11" ball removed from the ASA Co-Ed game and the player rep presenting the rule damn near had his head handed to him on the way out the door. Those women were pissed someone even raised the question.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Our 10U have a 2 hour time limit.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
How do you get the women to play with 16" balls?.......get your collective minds out of the gutter, pigs!

Two years ago, I tried to get the 11" ball removed from the ASA Co-Ed game and the player rep presenting the rule damn near had his head handed to him on the way out the door. Those women were pissed someone even raised the question.
Here in the Chicago area there are a few different types of Co-ed SP played.

12" (None of the leagues I've done switch the balls between the 11 and 12)
14" Mushball (Yes the ball is very soft)
16"
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

We switch 12- and 11-inch balls in some of the coed leagues. It's a pain. In others, it's just the 12.

I have one of those 16-inch balls and have watched both 16- and 14-inch games in Illinois and Iowa, but no such play exists in NJ to my knowledge.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Do they make the 16" softball in yellow? All I've seen is white. If I could find a yellow one, I'd slip it into my ball bag to toss into a FP game just to see what happened next!
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
.......get your collective minds out of the gutter, pigs!
What....do you think we're on the Basketball board!?!?!

(There's a certain picture of a squirrel that pops up over there from time to time)
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
What....do you think we're on the Basketball board!?!?!

(There's a certain picture of a squirrel that pops up over there from time to time)

is this the same squirrel that is the mascot of a certain notorious website, whose initials are F.A.R.K.??