The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

ASA sp ?

need your help

Coach of team A request "time" says he want to put his F4 in to pitch and move F1 to 2nd. After the new pitcher completes his 3 warm up Coach calls
"time" again and says he want to put the old pitcher back in. Team B wants to protest bacause they say the new pitcher must at least throw 1 pitch to a batter before the coach can put the old pitcher back in.

I was the acting UIC but working another field when this came to me through the TD. I ruled that I knew of no rule stating a pitch had to be thrown in this situation. I was told later by a few other umps that they believed I made the wrong call.

I believe my ruling is backed by rule 4-6-c, BUT just want to make sure I am not missing something

Part 2-- Just checking but I dont believe it would make any difference of it was a FP or SP game ?

Thanks

Don
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 02:02am
Official Forum Member

How is this an illegal sub per 4-6-c? Sounds like just a defensive swap, then another defensive swap. Check out 6(SP)-8.
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 04:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppool
need your help...I was told later by a few other umps that they believed I made the wrong call.
Your call was correct.

I believe those who told you the call was wrong were either baseball umpires or little league softball umpires, where the rule is different than ASA.

Also, remember that the returning pitcher within the same inning is not allowed warm-up pitches.
Old Sun Jul 30, 2006, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

If you belive this was a bonafide decision by the coach, it is legal. If you think it is a ploy to kill time in a time limit game, I would warn the coach that such tactics can lead to a forfeit; and read his reaction accordingly.

In ASA and NCAA, no warm up pitches to a returning pitcher; in NFHS, no such exception.