The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I've got 1 from yesterday.

1) 14U Championship game. I'm on the plate. R1 on 2nd. Groundball hit to shortstop. R1 interferes with the fielder attempting to field the batted ball - partner makes the call. Now we have a runner on 2nd (either a runner that started at first, or the BR - I can't remember, and it really doesn't matter for the purpose of this admission) Now the runner on 2nd is a bit confused due to the call (these are 11 yr olds, playing 12U, playing up to 14U). She's kinda off the bag, on the bag - you can just see the wheels spinning in that little head of hers. The defensive team is yelling "tag her, tag her". I'm watching... watching, yes she's off the bag and the tag is made. I give a big Sell Out on the tag. I'm then reminded by the offesive coach that we had a deadball situtation. I covered it well, by immediately telling the coach that he was right, and joking with the defensive team that they even had my going on that one.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
The most classic one of all is heading behind the plate without your mask.
I did this recently in mens fast pitch.. Didnt realize it until the pitcher had began to pitch.. and i just prayed.

Dumb.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The NCAA procedure
"The umpire needs to make a ruling only if there is a subsequent play, attempted play, or apparent confusion by the offense or defense after the pitch. If the batter is entitled to run, and the umpire judges that the pitch was not caught (and/or has gotten confirmation from a base umpire that it was not caught), and a play is made on the batter-runner, either the plate or first base umpire will rule on the play. If the plate umpire has judged that the pitch was caught (and/or gotten confirmation from a base umpire that it was caught) and the catcher or batter appears unsure and attempts to play, the umpire should say while signaling an out: “Batter is out.” "

looks good for any rules. I especially try to do the last sentence, although I usually call the out on any caught third strike or "1st occupied" out.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
The NCAA procedure
"The umpire needs to make a ruling only if there is a subsequent play, attempted play, or apparent confusion by the offense or defense after the pitch. If the batter is entitled to run, and the umpire judges that the pitch was not caught (and/or has gotten confirmation from a base umpire that it was not caught), and a play is made on the batter-runner, either the plate or first base umpire will rule on the play. If the plate umpire has judged that the pitch was caught (and/or gotten confirmation from a base umpire that it was caught) and the catcher or batter appears unsure and attempts to play, the umpire should say while signaling an out: “Batter is out.” "

looks good for any rules. I especially try to do the last sentence, although I usually call the out on any caught third strike or "1st occupied" out.
NCAA says to NOT routinely call the "out" on caught third strike; the contrast in not calling it on a drop is considered tipping the offense to the play. That's why they suggest you only call it when they appear confused.
Old Wed Jul 19, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
NCAA says to NOT routinely call the "out" on caught third strike; the contrast in not calling it on a drop is considered tipping the offense to the play. That's why they suggest you only call it when they appear confused.
I know, and agree with the idea, just describing my habit in mostly NFHS and PONY games.