The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question ASA, NFHS, NCAA hammer

It would be nice if a "hammer" signal were all the same in ASA, NFHS and NCAA. They all three vary on what they consider a hammer. I do all three and besides knowing the differences of the rules I need to make sure I do the correct hammer for what I am calling. Do any of you that call all three(ASA, NFHS and NCAA) use what version of the hammer works for you and stay with it no matter what. 3 weeks ago I was doing a ASA Class A State Tourney and I was being evaluated for NCAA ball. I was using the ASA hammer and was told to use the standard NCAA hammer since that is what I was being evaluated for. Just wondering. Dave
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Not to start a highjack . . . simpler put . . . wouldn't it be nice to use the same set of rules? Utopia, but won't ever get there.

Remember what rules you are using . . . adjust to what is expected. Why would an NCAA evaluator want you to use NCAA mechanics in an ASA tourney? At least you proved that you could conform to expectations.
Old Sat Jul 15, 2006, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
He was the UIC for the tourney and also was evaluating me for college ball. Dave
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
. Do any of you that call all three(ASA, NFHS and NCAA) use what version of the hammer works for you and stay with it no matter what.
Yes, possibly because I don't have NCAA or NFHS mechanics clinics available. Mine for strikes is a sidearm sweep stopping at shoulder height and then bending the elbow to 90 degrees. On base outs, the height varies with how much "hard sell", sometimes the old "reach for the sky".
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Yes, possibly because I don't have NCAA or NFHS mechanics clinics available. Mine for strikes is a sidearm sweep stopping at shoulder height and then bending the elbow to 90 degrees. On base outs, the height varies with how much "hard sell", sometimes the old "reach for the sky".
Why would you not use and overhand for a "hard sell"?
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was the UIC for the tourney and also was evaluating me for college ball. Dave
If it was an ASA tournament, you use ASA mechanics.

Personally, I don't care for the NCAA strike/out hammer as it brings the arm too far out front. Some umpires actually make it look threatening toward the pitcher/player s/he is facing at the time.

There is no NFHS training in my area. They all come from baseball or ASA.
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
"hard sell"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZIzeXcNVv...ob%20van%20dam

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
I grew up in ASA but have emersed myself in the NCAA signals for the past few seasons. I typically use my NCAA 'hammer' for everything unless my tournament UIC specifically requests that we use the ASA signals. We do not have any formal HS training here, mostly ASA umpires applying the NFCA rules, so I can't speak to their signals/mechanics.

My opinion, ASA developed signals and mechanics that are simple and can be broken down into steps as trained in their schools and clinics because they have to be able to teach anybody how to look like an umpire. The NCAA, at the national level, umpires being evaluated for post-season and D-I assignments, requires a more 'professional' signal. I like the look of the NCAA 'hammer' and I think it looks stronger than the ASA signal, but I agree with Mike that some people can be too aggressive with it.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue
I grew up in ASA but have emersed myself in the NCAA signals for the past few seasons. I typically use my NCAA 'hammer' for everything unless my tournament UIC specifically requests that we use the ASA signals. We do not have any formal HS training here, mostly ASA umpires applying the NFCA rules, so I can't speak to their signals/mechanics.

My opinion, ASA developed signals and mechanics that are simple and can be broken down into steps as trained in their schools and clinics because they have to be able to teach anybody how to look like an umpire. The NCAA, at the national level, umpires being evaluated for post-season and D-I assignments, requires a more 'professional' signal. I like the look of the NCAA 'hammer' and I think it looks stronger than the ASA signal, but I agree with Mike that some people can be too aggressive with it.
Other than the aggressiveness, I don't like it because it's partially hidden from the players and spectators. Remember, the signals are not there for an "umpire showcase" or the participants in the immediate vicinity. The signals are communication tools and bringing the arm forward in front of the body screens many in the stands and is not always easy for the outfielders to observe.

As far as the "professional" comment, I don't buy it. Just because the highest level of paid umpires use a specific signal doesn't make their mechanics any more professional than that of the rookie umpire doing youth ball. For that matter, MLB umpires are some of the least professional looking/acting umpires I've observed the last few years.

JMHO
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Do any of you that call all three(ASA, NFHS and NCAA) use what version of the hammer works for you and stay with it no matter what?
In the Pensacola area, we do more training in NFHS than in college and ASA combined. Florida HS requires us to hold both training sessions and field clinics.

Personally, my hammer mechanic only varies slightly when I'm calling NCAA -- a bit more in front. I agree with Mike that it should be seen by anyone who is interested. But since I'm 6'4", that usually isn't a problem.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Larry,

You're going to have to roll over to Eglin in Sept to see the Armed Forces Championships.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
That sounds like a good idea. On my first ship I had a radioman who made the All-Navy team. That kid was the best outfilelder I ever played with.
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

It's a strange schedule this year. They're bringing us in on the day of the 9/16 (Sat) and playing Sunday through Tuesday with Wednesday as a rain date.

I would just suggest you bring your own shade.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Why would you not use and overhand for a "hard sell"?
We were discussing hammers, not signals in general, or voice use.

However, I just have never developed or practiced a full overhand hard-sell, but I do use a semi-overhand occasionally (semi = arm, but no steps).
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA

Personally, I don't care for the NCAA strike/out hammer as it brings the arm too far out front. Some umpires actually make it look threatening toward the pitcher/player s/he is facing at the time.
If they want to throw an uppercut, they should take up boxing.