The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Double bag question

BR hits to right field. BR rounds 1B heading to 2B. Throw comes into 2B. BR retreats back to 1B. 2B throws to 1B to apply tag. BR (now runner) runs back to 1B and steps on orange bag only before tag is applied. Tag is applied when runner is standing on orange bag. I rule safe; coach questions. I told coach in this situation, that it's one big base.

I checked the rule. The rule was changed this year and added the orange bag on a pickoff play. I deemed this as a pickoff play.

Partner says that I should have ruled out because runner must establish on white bag and orange is only for BR going to 1B. Once BR reaches 1B, orange bag can no longer be used. We had this discussion VERY discretely.

Who's correct?
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

You didn't note your ruleset; assuming ASA, partner needs to update his rules knowledge.

Also, you are being overly limiting in your interpretation. There were several changes associated with the double base this year, with the net affect being: Plays on the batter-runner first time past the bag have restrictions on who must play which bag, but once the BR has passed 1B the first time, there is one big base available to both offense and defense. Not just on pickoff plays; on any play thereafter.

This explanation and verbiage from the mouth of Craig Cress, ASA National Director of Umpires.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
You didn't note your ruleset; assuming ASA, partner needs to update his rules knowledge.

Also, you are being overly limiting in your interpretation. There were several changes associated with the double base this year, with the net affect being: Plays on the batter-runner first time past the bag have restrictions on who must play which bag, but once the BR has passed 1B the first time, there is one big base available to both offense and defense. Not just on pickoff plays; on any play thereafter.

This explanation and verbiage from the mouth of Craig Cress, ASA National Director of Umpires.
ASA only ??
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
ASA only ??
I'm pretty sure the NFHS hasn't adopted that ruling. In other words, white only after passing the base. If they have changed it, then I really kicked a call this year.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
I'm pretty sure the NFHS hasn't adopted that ruling. In other words, white only after passing the base. If they have changed it, then I really kicked a call this year.
Did the Fed even recognize the double base last year?
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Yes, by state adoption.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Yes, a note to Rule 1-2-1 and a detailed explanation of the use of the double first base in rule 8-10.

The case book specifically addressed this situation on page 64. 8-10-1.
"...the batter is out if tagged by the defense before reaching the white part of the bag".

This is referring to after the BR has touched the base on a base hit and is returning to orange part of the base.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Yes, by state adoption.
FYI to those affected on this board, the Georgia (GHSA) state adoption of the double base is to use the new ASA rule and interpretation. This should be one item in the upcoming rules clinics for both umpire associations and coaches clinics.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Double bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
ASA only ??
Yes, ASA. Appologies for not stating that. I thought I was correct. This is the same umpire that ruled a girl out at home because she didn't slide (no collision) and told a FP pitcher that she had to windmill her arm on the pitch (no sling shot). I gotta quit listening to him.