The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys....... I just thought I would post this scenario as it happened. Did I learn anything? Yes, stuff happens and there are variables out there you just never expect. I also learned this, it was the only time I have made that call in 15+ years of doing games. I learned that even someone with a great deal of experience is going to get screened, and while everyone in the whole world could see it I didnt.

I also learned that apparently there is some history here between other posters that I was unaware of..................

Have a great day
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldgriff
I also learned that apparently there is some history here between other posters that I was unaware of..................
WHEW! I am soooo glad that I'm not the only one that feels a cold chill running through the room from time to time. I'm also relieved to know that I'm not the only one that has not freakin' clue why certain people are pissed at other certain people. Maybe I need to get a new filter . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

By definition, a troll is someone who posts merely for the reaction. It has nothing to do with newbeeness.

If the shoe fits...
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Yes almost 3 years on this board, more posts than you, a local UIC .. and I'm a troll

Gimme a break scott.

I may not tow the line, which is why I can be right and stick to my guns when the "best" are saying something different, or follow certain "prestigious" posters around like their the 2nd coming of umpiring.. but I'm certainly no troll.
Actually, Little Green Man, I have been around since the inception of Brad's site. I changed my ID a few years back for convience.
As for counting posts, whoop didley doo! I am resonably sure that if we counted them all, I would be far ahead of you.

Being verbose doesn't make you more intelligent, just loud.

And as for being a local UIC, so what?
Been there done that many times, been an ASA association UIC (as an interim) when I was asked.
Lets see if we need to measure Johnson's here,

Worked in excess of 30 ASA Nationals,
about 8, maybe 9 ISA nationals back before they got stupid.
I am a Gold Medal umpire,
an ELite in SP and eligible as an Elite in MP and FP.
Am eligible to be ISF but due to health reasons didn't follow though even though I have been to the school.
I have worked State High school finals in 4 states.
Worked D1, 2 and NAIA ball.
Had the priveledge of working games for Olympic Developmental teams of various nations.
Have had the priveldge of working all levels of SP and FP as well as the Men's Major Modified.
Ummmm, I can even keep the count without the clicker thingy!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheee, so, I guess I should bow to your superior wisdom that isn't up to snuff and is out of step with the ruling bodies of the ASA code.

Who is your Commisioner and lets see what he thinks of your posting behavior?

And as for slamming Mike, he is a superior umpire that I have had the privelede to know online for many years. He took over an organization that had been neglected and has done a fantastic job. He has superior skills on the field and off. I have had the opportunity to meet him in purpose and other than him being a yankee (inside joke here. ) he is one he** of an individual.

So far, all that I see out of you is blowing your own horn (which won't do anything other than get you chapped lips) and arguing your position to the point of being obnoxious.

When you get elected to the NUS or some other noteworthy position, let me know, will you?

I apologize to the board members for wasting your bandwidth with this but felt it needed to be said.

If I have offended anyone else, I apologize

Last edited by scottk_61; Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 03:50pm.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61
Who is your Commisioner and lets see what he thinks of your posting behavior?
Funny you should ask that, Scott. His Commissioner, I believe, is Matt Pfeifer, who worked the 18 Gold National with us in Marietta in 2004.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Funny you should ask that, Scott. His Commissioner, I believe, is Matt Pfeifer, who worked the 18 Gold National with us in Marietta in 2004.
I worked with Matt in one of his rare SP appearances at the 1999 Men's Major Church NC in Mobile, AL. Six teams, seven umpires, no crap and some pretty damn good ball. Now, there's a place where they take care of the umpires. Party before the tournament, party after the tournament, catch a couple games at Aaron Stadium. Couldn't buy a damn thing, they provided it all.

Matt's a nice guy. I see him every other Feb and every November. Cannot wait for Colorado Springs, now.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I worked with Matt in one of his rare SP appearances at the 1999 Men's Major Church NC in Mobile, AL. Six teams, seven umpires, no crap and some pretty damn good ball. Now, there's a place where they take care of the umpires. Party before the tournament, party after the tournament, catch a couple games at Aaron Stadium. Couldn't buy a damn thing, they provided it all.

Matt's a nice guy. I see him every other Feb and every November. Cannot wait for Colorado Springs, now.
oh boy..

Well you go sniveling to matt, I'll just tell him you called me a little green man

You guys really need to grow up..

There go sniveling to Matt that I told you to grow up for threatening to "tell on me"

lol

too lame.

Show him/tell him whatever you want.

Pathetic.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
oh boy..

Well you go sniveling to matt, I'll just tell him you called me a little green man

You guys really need to grow up..

There go sniveling to Matt that I told you to grow up for threatening to "tell on me"

lol

too lame.

Show him/tell him whatever you want.

Pathetic.

Thats not why I asked where you were UIC...It just seems that in the last week or so..your posts have been a little more arrogant and self promoting than in the past. Im NOT saying YOU are.... but I'm not the only one to raise my eyebrows at some of your posts...I was curious if you local UIC thing was a recent promotion....maybe that would explain it a little....if its not...maybe a bad week? Either way..maybe we need to back off bashing posters and remember that this is a forum to trade ideas and help younger umpires....not blare out our credentials or belittle an umpire who posts a GREAT post with a GREAT question.

You also never answered one of my questions.... have you ever been screened by a player?
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
You also never answered one of my questions.... have you ever been screened by a player?
If not, the only non-newbie who hasn't been.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thats not why I asked where you were UIC...It just seems that in the last week or so..your posts have been a little more arrogant and self promoting than in the past. Im NOT saying YOU are.... but I'm not the only one to raise my eyebrows at some of your posts...I was curious if you local UIC thing was a recent promotion....maybe that would explain it a little....if its not...maybe a bad week? Either way..maybe we need to back off bashing posters and remember that this is a forum to trade ideas and help younger umpires....not blare out our credentials or belittle an umpire who posts a GREAT post with a GREAT question.

im not intentionally being "self promoting" - because im certainly not much.. but just try to weather the "green man" "what smells" barage from tweedle dee and tweedle dum by pointing out im no noob. Now I gotta weather the "I'm gonna tell on you" barage -- thats just too funny.. lame but funny.

Of course I've been screened.. screened by players .. catchers.. screened by having sweat laced with sun block go into my eyes.. sand from catchers mit go into my eyes.. etc etc etc
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
im not intentionally being "self promoting" - because im certainly not much.. but just try to weather the "green man" "what smells" barage from tweedle dee and tweedle dum by pointing out im no noob. Now I gotta weather the "I'm gonna tell on you" barage thats just too funny..

Of course I've been screened.. screened by players .. catchers.. screened by having sweat laced with sun block go into my eyes.. sand from catchers mit go into my eyes.. etc etc etc

Well, "tweedle dee", myself, and I'm sure others were just taken aback by the harshness of your repsonse to that post...... weve all been screened.... he handled it as best as he could..and I thought you were a little too hard on him because of it....especially since its a SERIOUS hazard of only having one set of eyes on the field.

I dont think anyone wants to tell on you....I for one was just curious as to where you were from and what association you were with. (ASA, or some other irrelevant organization.. )
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldgriff

Actually, no history at all which is what makes it strange.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Actually, no history at all which is what makes it strange.
So then whats the problem mike?

I was goofin on you with the SP comments, which I've always done.. Ive told you on a few occassions that the biggest problem a SP umpire has is making sure the play doesnt cause you to drop your hot dog and you always took it properly.. this time I got the whole "I dont know if I'd want you on the field.. you have disdain for this game" BS.. during the season I live and breath this stuff, including goofing around on this MB .. so there is obviously no disdain.

Just because I goof on SP, SP isnt really my game - doesnt mean anything.. I'm working it this year because I'll be scheduling it and teaching it next year so I need to know it.. doesnt mean I need to love it.. know what I mean vern?

You jumped to BS Conclusions and expected me to roll over, then did the troll crap and the smell crap.. So yeah I turn a little harsh.

Well for what its worth, and no I'm not apologizing because I give a crap if you go whining to Matt - I greatly respect your knowledge, learned a lot from you, and do apoligize if I'm seemed a little over-the top.

I dont want to have a war on this board but am somehow trapped into one.. so hopefully it can go away.. but if not, and apoligies are not acceptend, then I'll continue to defend myself, with plenty of offense mixed into that defense.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Please refresh my failing memory and point me to that thread, Wade. Not sure I remember that, and I might learn from it, as well; not that often both Mike and WMB are both wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltUmpSteve
Please refresh my failing memory and point me to that thread, Wade. Not sure I remember that, and I might learn from it, as well; not that often both Mike and WMB are both wrong.
I'll have to dig it up.. shoulda framed it

I'll have two Mike's heads on my mantle if he dares to try to support his position on the "slow call" thread on ezteams

(dont be offended by that mike, just goofin around).

Again to anyone I've offended, I'll try to tone it down .. no big deal.. I'm sure if we were on the field we'd work together great - sometimes the written post comes off harsher than it was intended.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, "tweedle dee", myself, and I'm sure others were just taken aback by the harshness of your repsonse to that post...... weve all been screened.... he handled it as best as he could..and I thought you were a little too hard on him because of it....especially since its a SERIOUS hazard of only having one set of eyes on the field.

I dont think anyone wants to tell on you....I for one was just curious as to where you were from and what association you were with. (ASA, or some other irrelevant organization.. )
I've had worse that this OP in one man...

1. I've taken a foul ball so hard to the mask I literally didnt know if the batter even swung and called it a ball.. thinking it musta been high, it hit me in the mask..

2. I've had a catcher intentionally screen her dropped ball on a play at home then quick release to 2nd... she got the out.. everyone else saw the catcher had dropped the ball.

3.. and the worse i've ever had, which is seered.. seered into my memory like a vietnam river boat trip.. on a steal at second, I popped out to watch the play and the batter took a practice swing smacking me straight into the face extremely hard.. by some grace of God, i had not removed my face mask.. saving me from who knows what..

Everyone gets screen.. the point is to try to learn from it. Each of those I learned from especially 2 & 3...

Trailing the BR as opposed to moving in is the solution in this OP's case IMo.. I've found it better position for the play.

That was my point, my unwarranted harshness aside.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Hey now that I review the thread, you came in at the end of it..

In anycase.. this was when i think I became a "troll" in mikes eyes, when I faced down him AND wmb and when he went to big wigs... I was right.

Furthermore, my argument might result in a clarification in the rule book.. which would make me proud.

CO Quiz

The ruling

Rule Clarifications

I didnt post much after that.. so its probably been eating away at him.. not sure.

In anycase, I apoligized so hopefully all is well now.

Edited to fix ruling link .. opps..

I was screened by a cat when copy pasting

Last edited by wadeintothem; Wed Jul 05, 2006 at 09:42pm.