The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dweezil24
Tips for Working One-Man

I'm going into my second season as blue for a small four-team church league. Last season we had two umps, this season I've been asked to fly solo - long story. Any tips from those of you who have worked a lot of one-man games? I know I'll have to move a whole lot more than before to get the proper angle on the plays. Any other tips?
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezil24
I'm going into my second season as blue for a small four-team church league. Last season we had two umps, this season I've been asked to fly solo - long story. Any tips from those of you who have worked a lot of one-man games? I know I'll have to move a whole lot more than before to get the proper angle on the plays. Any other tips?
Recruit your wife to start umpiring!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dweezil24
Nah, she's pregnant. Wouldn't want a puddle on the infield from her water breaking. Although it would evaporate immediately in this AZ heat!
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezil24
For rec league all i work is 1 man..
for the few slow pitch games which I've started working this year.. its one man, which i would hate to work 2 man, its boring enough already.

If its fast pitch, its tough, but I just suggest hustle for angles as best as possible.. kinda hurts the players IMO with the leaving early and other stuff thats hard to watch from behind the plate.. I hate one man in fp even though i work it alot, its just better to have another guy out there for the players sake.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
for the few slow pitch games which I've started working this year.. its one man, which i would hate to work 2 man, its boring enough already.
But FP is exciting? Okay.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
It can be .. at least ya get to strike em out! thats always fun.

Slow pitch is easy money though man, I dont knock you guys any more.. no gear.. shorts.. thats the life... same pay.. guys are much less whiney than mens FP players by about a factor of a million.

I like it. I apologize for all the times I teased you slow pitch umpires. I started this year and I'll be working much more of them. I almost feel guilty getting paid for it... but I'll have to learn to live with it.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It can be .. at least ya get to strike em out! thats always fun.

Slow pitch is easy money though man, I dont knock you guys any more.. no gear.. shorts.. thats the life... same pay.. guys are much less whiney than mens FP players by about a factor of a million.

I like it. I apologize for all the times I teased you slow pitch umpires. I started this year and I'll be working much more of them. I almost feel guilty getting paid for it... but I'll have to learn to live with it.
Somebody ought to slap you uplong side the head. SP players whine more than the French press about Lance Armstrong. Also, in my area, SP is never the same pay, quite a bit less actually.

And I don't know a SP umprie that doesn't ring up a SP player. I usually have a dozen called 3rd strikes a year and I don't work that many games.

If you are bored working SP, my impression would be that you are not doing your job as an umpire.
Old Wed Jun 28, 2006, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Somebody ought to slap you uplong side the head. SP players whine more than the French press about Lance Armstrong. Also, in my area, SP is never the same pay, quite a bit less actually. Lets see.. no bunting.. no stealing.. try not to hit a homer most at bats..

Thats not ball.. but its fun in its own way.

And I don't know a SP umprie that doesn't ring up a SP player. I usually have a dozen called 3rd strikes a year and I don't work that many games.

If you are bored working SP, my impression would be that you are not doing your job as an umpire.
I've only worked 3 sp games so I'm no expert mike, I'm waiting on that strike out. Having noticed whining yet! Admit it, its boring ball... its fun for the comraderie (sic) .. thats about it. I like it, the ball is just not that good. Many aspects of "the game" are not there. I do wish we had stealing though, that would add something to it.

I almost had one strike out though mike, even though only 3 games.. I bet I get one soon... unfortunately, it wasnt a strike out..

I forgot that a foul ball on Strike 2 is an out .. and didnt notice the fat straggly beer breath guy at the plate with a bat wasnt the same fat straggly beer breath guy before him.. so when he watched his first pitch go by .. I said strike 3 youre out..

Oops..

We all had a good laugh at that.. thats funny i dont care who ya are.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've only worked 3 sp games so I'm no expert mike, I'm waiting on that strike out. Having noticed whining yet! Admit it, its boring ball... its fun for the comraderie (sic) .. thats about it. I like it, the ball is just not that good. Many aspects of "the game" are not there. I do wish we had stealing though, that would add something to it.

I almost had one strike out though mike, even though only 3 games.. I bet I get one soon... unfortunately, it wasnt a strike out..

I forgot that a foul ball on Strike 2 is an out .. and didnt notice the fat straggly beer breath guy at the plate with a bat wasnt the same fat straggly beer breath guy before him.. so when he watched his first pitch go by .. I said strike 3 youre out..

Oops..

I've got very little softball experience. Just finished my first year of HS softball (part-time to help out), I've worked 4 or 5 men's FP (lots of crying in that league ) Lately I've been working Men's & Co-ed SP one night per week (solo).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong..... because most of the time I'm working hard to get into position because almost everyone hits the ball. I find that I'm running up the miles getting out from behind (or from the side of) the dish to get a better look at things...I'm rarely ever bored....am I doing something wrong?

Also, as I continue to grow older (and slower) I need to find a league like you work, you know, the one where the fat drunk players are...these in shape, fast footed players around here make me hustle too much.

All this fun and $18 per :55 game....does life get any better?

Last edited by Justme; Thu Jun 29, 2006 at 12:59am.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
I've got very little softball experience. Just finished my first year of HS softball (part-time to help out), I've worked 4 or 5 men's FP (lots of crying in that league ) Lately I've been working Men's & Co-ed SP one night per week (solo).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong..... because most of the time I'm working hard to get into position because almost everyone hits the ball. I find that I'm running up the miles getting out from behind (or from the side of) the dish to get a better look at things...I'm rarely ever bored....am I doing something wrong?

Also, as I continue to grow older (and slower) I need to find a league like you work, you know, the one where the fat drunk players are...these in shape, fast footed players around here make me hustle too much.
maybe youre too old.. hustling and running is easy for me

Gimme a few years though and I'll probably think simply running out for a play at a base is work like you and Mike do

I'm faster than most players.. just not a big deal.

ESPECIALLY slow pitch, im not even wearing all that crap.

Quote:
All this fun and $18 per :55 game....does life get any better?
yep, i get 25 a game.

30 for mens FP.

50 for baseball 17U american legion.. but games take 2.8 years.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu Jun 29, 2006 at 01:05am.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

delete.. double post
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
maybe youre too old..
I knew that you had the answer....but I think you missed the point of the question.... I don't think that you bother the hustle at all..... you're too good calling the plays from where you are...am I right?

Are you sure that you enjoy umpiring? Doesn't sound like it from here.

A few weeks ago I worked an Adult League BB game with a guy that didn't like umpiring very much, he did it for the money..... (now that's funny)!

Before the game started he said "I hate working these former wannabes, they all cry too much but I need the $70." I could tell that this would be a lively game. He only pi$$ed off 2 players enough to get them to eject themselves but man what a game.... I won't work with him again.....

Does this story sound familiar? It wasn't you was it?

Wait, don't get angry..... I'm just messing with you.....having a little fun...peace

Last edited by Justme; Thu Jun 29, 2006 at 01:43am.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've did baseball for 22 years, softball for 19. Some HS, womens and JO FP and a bundle of SP. There is no doubt in my mind that the SP game has too many variables and action to be boring. The whining is there in many areas. Maybe your in one of the rare locations that it just doesn't happen and that is a good thing.
Quote:

Oops..

But I'll bet it was a damn good strike one. Honestly, though, I don't know why you are doing SP. You obviously don't care for the game and my guess is that you think it is nothing more than one big keg game.

Oh, well, at lease someone is covering the games.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme's
blather blather
Wasnt me.. never worked adult bb.

Quote:
I've did baseball for 22 years, softball for 19. Some HS, womens and JO FP and a bundle of SP. There is no doubt in my mind that the SP game has too many variables and action to be boring. The whining is there in many areas. Maybe your in one of the rare locations that it just doesn't happen and that is a good thing.

But I'll bet it was a damn good strike one. Honestly, though, I don't know why you are doing SP. You obviously don't care for the game and my guess is that you think it is nothing more than one big keg game.

Oh, well, at lease someone is covering the games.
Maybe they whine, I just havent seen it.. dunno. Havent worked a lot of games and seems more of a friendly league.

Now mens fp tournies, oh boy do they boo hoo..

Im working SP games to give it a try.. we'll see if I keep it up. I like to play SP... umpiring it may not be my cup of tea - dont know yet.

I dont see this majestic beauty of SP that you do though, as of yet.

I think you just dont want to admit its easy money compared to real umpiring..
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Yup! 5 6 7 8 9 10