The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Ejection, then the fun began! Questions follow

Strict OBR. One runner on, two outs. Batter is ejected for arguing a strike call that ran the count to 0-2. Of course the team manager comes out to "discuss" the situation with the plate umpire (which was not me, in case you were wondering ). Afterwards, the manager reports a substitute for the ejected player to continue the at-bat. Player does not promptly take his position in the batter's box. After the plate umpire tells the batter 3 times to take his position in the box with the batter still not doing so (he has taken practice swings, switched bats, AND traded helmets), umpire calls for a pitch to be thrown which appeared reasonably close to the strike zone and calls strike three, inning over.

Now the question: When the umpire called for the pitch to be thrown, the pitcher, who was standing behind the rubber, just stepped up on the rubber and threw the ball into the catcher without pause, taking a sign, or simulating taking a sign.

Question #1: With runners on base, should this be called a balk?

Question #2: If yes to question #1, given the circumstances, would you call it?
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

JMO, but since in other codes the pitch does not even have to be thrown on a directed strike (I suppose softball has to be different ), I as PU would not call a balk on a pitch I ordered thrown for a strike.

In fact, Id just say 'strike!'.

Reads like the new batter is trying to show up the PU on orders of his coach.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
First of all, no such thing as a balk in softball. Could be an IP, but not in my game. If I've told the pitcher to pitch - it's for the expressed purpose of calling a strike. At that point, I'm implimenting my F-150 strike zone. If they can throw it in the bed of an F-150, it's a strike!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits
Strict OBR.
Are there SB leagues that play OBR

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
Are there SB leagues that play OBR
No, I'm just an idiot who confused my baseball, softball message boards this morning. Moderator, feel free to delete.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Moderators don't generally delete things unless they become offensive ... but you can delete it yourself.

To answer your question though, in any rulecode of either ball-and-stick game, this is not a balk or illegal pitch - it's a strike.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

No pitch required in our book (Canada) ... we can call the strike if time's up.

I'd avoid having them throw a pitch ... given the circumstances, if they threw an IP, all heck (or worse!!) could break loose.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Isn't there an ASA rule that once the umpire tells the batter to get in the batter's box, that the batter has 10 seconds to do so? If not, the umpire shall call a strike, without a pitch needing to be thrown?
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoot
Isn't there an ASA rule that once the umpire tells the batter to get in the batter's box, that the batter has 10 seconds to do so? If not, the umpire shall call a strike, without a pitch needing to be thrown?
Change "shall" to "may" and you are right. The ASA book reminds umpires that the reason for the rule is delay of the game. The other option given to the umpire is a warning.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Change "shall" to "may" and you are right. The ASA book reminds umpires that the reason for the rule is delay of the game. The other option given to the umpire is a warning.
ASA Rule 7.3.B

The batter must take the batter's position within 10 seconds after being directed to do so by the umpire.
EFFECT: The umpire WILL call a strike. No pitch has to be thrown and the ball is dead.

Tom, I believe you are thinking of the JO rule that the batter must keep one foot in the batter's box once the at-bat begins unless under certain circumstances.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

You're right. That was what I was thinking of.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
As long as we are all thinking !