The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

ASA Ponytail

Our ASA Fastpitch league has a 7-8YO Ponytail division that uses a pitching machine. They choose to add an umpire during the second half of the season.

Defensive coaches are allowed to stand in the outfield. Last night, one of those defensive coaches stuck his foot out to stop a hard hit ball that the parents, of course, felt would have rolled all the way to the fence (100'). It was definitely intentional (brain cramp at best).

What would you award - blocked ball penalty?
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Removed because I didn't say anything helpful.

Last edited by pob14; Tue Jun 20, 2006 at 11:13am.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I would award what I believe would have been the most likely result of the hit. I would also award that specific coach a seat off the field of play.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbuddy
Our ASA Fastpitch league has a 7-8YO Ponytail division that uses a pitching machine. They choose to add an umpire during the second half of the season.

Defensive coaches are allowed to stand in the outfield. Last night, one of those defensive coaches stuck his foot out to stop a hard hit ball that the parents, of course, felt would have rolled all the way to the fence (100'). It was definitely intentional (brain cramp at best).

What would you award - blocked ball penalty?
I would have left and never come back1!!

I'm sure you do the best you can and are just covering an assignment for your association, but do you really think this level needs umpires?
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I probably would have awarded 4 bases and sat the guy down for the rest of the game.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
We do the 7 & 8 for LL here and solved that by putting a defensive coaches box (6x10) at the end of the dugout. I know that doesn't solve your problem but that's what our district staff did. We use umpires too because they need help on some issues - ever seen a coach that knows the rules, or even read a rulebook for that matter?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I probably would have awarded 4 bases and sat the guy down for the rest of the game.
I'm with mcrowder on this!
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
We use umpires too because they need help on some issues - ever seen a coach that knows the rules, or even read a rulebook for that matter?
Ever seen a coach that actually pays attention to you when told the correct rules that don't fit into his/her plans?

What I wouldn't give for the luxury of having enough umpires to cover games at that level
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fastpitch Send a message via MSN to fastpitch
We use 2 umpires for 6U and 8U. No defensive coaches are allowed in the outfield for 8U but typically 2 are for 6U. There are as many as 50 league rules for each division and they vary from park to park. Most parks' rules also allow a defensive coach on the field within touching distance of the dugout.

Some of the league rules deal specifically with the situation in this post, but straight ASA, would not a 3 base award be applicable for interfering with a batted ball.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure you've done enough 8U to know that a ball hit past the fielders is going to be a 4-base hit. Can't penalize the offense for the defense's transgression, can you?
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fastpitch Send a message via MSN to fastpitch
Just pointing out the award per ASA, on the 120' fields we play this on not 100% guaranteed a home run, reading one of the parks' league rules on this they have "if the coach in the outfield is hit by the ball all players are entitled to the next base" Obviously the coaches have not read this rule or they would be hit by many more - not a good league rule.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I would have left and never come back1!!

I'm sure you do the best you can and are just covering an assignment for your association, but do you really think this level needs umpires?
I am with Mike here....I would have departed if I got that assignment.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Ever seen a coach that actually pays attention to you when told the correct rules that don't fit into his/her plans?

What I wouldn't give for the luxury of having enough umpires to cover games at that level
Oh that's true, coaches only pay attention when you are telling them what they want to hear. Sort of like a marriage . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
... snip ... Can't penalize the offense for the defense's transgression, can you?
But don't we do that all the time on an over throw that goes out of play on an unfenced field? For example, over F3 into open space and the runner has to stop at 2nd.
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
But don't we do that all the time on an over throw that goes out of play on an unfenced field? For example, over F3 into open space and the runner has to stop at 2nd.
I don't think so. With a fenceless field, it would be up to the host to determine the ground rule initiating a dead ball line, or not. Both teams have to use the same boundries, perceived or otherwise.