The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Fair or foul?

LF is in fair territory, fly ball in foul. Fielder drops ball while still standing in fair territory. What's the cacll? Placement of ball should take precedent as ball would have been foul regardless of whether the fielder attempted a catch. It might seem like a no brainer (it did to me) but it caused quite a discussion. Opposing team insisted that player's position is what makes the determination. I stuck with my original call of foul. Who is right? I hope I don't come across as sounding stupid, but I had the same occur in a state tournament last year and same argument arose.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab9
LF is in fair territory, fly ball in foul. Fielder drops ball while still standing in fair territory. What's the cacll? Placement of ball should take precedent as ball would have been foul regardless of whether the fielder attempted a catch. It might seem like a no brainer (it did to me) but it caused quite a discussion. Opposing team insisted that player's position is what makes the determination. I stuck with my original call of foul. Who is right? I hope I don't come across as sounding stupid, but I had the same occur in a state tournament last year and same argument arose.
No, you are not stupid, but the others are ignorant. Check the ASA definition of FAIR and read exactly what you stated - position of ball, not defender.

WMB
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Just tell them it's foul ball, not foul player!

This problem usually comes from:
- confusion with the out of play line, live/dead ball based on player's feet
- basketball and football coaches
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Made a similar foul ball call last night. Fielder was straddling the line. Comment from the fans were to tell her (the fielder) to keep both her feet in fair territory next time.

I ignored it. And this was 16U ball, too. Sigh.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

A couple of years ago, the announcers of the LL World Series informed the viewing audience that "if the third baseman had been able to keep his feet in fair territory on that ground ball, he could have fielded that [foul] ball and had a play at 1B."
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
A couple of years ago, the announcers of the LL World Series informed the viewing audience that "if the third baseman had been able to keep his feet in fair territory on that ground ball, he could have fielded that [foul] ball and had a play at 1B."
And then they showed up at Tom's game last night.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab9
Opposing team insisted that player's position is what makes the determination... I hope I don't come across as sounding stupid...
I wouldn't say stupid but perhaps a little gullible. (Actually I learned the other day that "gullible" is not really a word and isn't even in the dictionary.)

Don't go 'round starting to believe what coaches and players tell you.
Old Thu Jun 15, 2006, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Actually I learned the other day that "gullible" is not really a word and isn't even in the dictionary.

Whoever told you that needs to inform American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Chambers, Webster's New World, and a bunch of other publishers.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
Actually I learned the other day that "gullible" is not really a word and isn't even in the dictionary.

Whoever told you that needs to inform American Heritage, Merriam-Webster, Chambers, Webster's New World, and a bunch of other publishers.
That;s 3 more books than currently exist in South Carolina.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

That goes right along with the bounding ball that landed in foul territory after crossing third. Had one Monday night hard shot down 3rd, bounding near line (fair side) 3rd takes swipe at ball misses it it bounces in front of 3rd crossing over the base as it goes to the outfield next landing a foot in foul territory I am pointing fair like crazy, runner stops coach grunts as he is watching the ball turns around and sees me pointing and yells "RUN". Defensive coach "she didn't touch that did she?" me "no, she tried but missed it" "and it landed foul no doubt", "no doubt in my mind" "then how is it a fair ball?" "it was a bounding ball that crossed over 3rd base in flight, that is a fair ball" coach.......dumb look as he is walking back to the dugout
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone understand why no matter what the difference is, anything stated by a coach or player is treated as true and anything stated by an official is treated as false? I see this in multiple sports, regardless of whether the coach could see the play or action from the bench or the spectators from their seats. Not just the partisan/neutral difference; it goes beyond that.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
(Actually I learned the other day that "gullible" is not really a word and isn't even in the dictionary.)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gullible

Don't always believe what others say about words
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...(Actually I learned the other day that "gullible" is not really a word and isn't even in the dictionary.)...
Comes pretty close to the defintion!

The word comes from the middle English word gulle meaning a person easily cheated or tricked.

And PS: as a product of the SC public school system, I must have found a few more books somewhere...
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hmmm, I looked it up in my thesaurus and found it along with the following synonyms: believing, credulous, trustful, unskeptical, greymule, LMan, and Dakota. . .
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celebur
Hmmm, I looked it up in my thesaurus and found it along with the following synonyms: believing, credulous, trustful, unskeptical, greymule, LMan, and Dakota. . .
OK, of the day. We have the rest of the day (EDT) to top it.