The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

My first plate game

Well last night (June 12) I did my first game behind the plate. It was 11-12 year old girls. I don't know if that was good or bad. Several walks, pitches over the batters head, in the dirt, way inside, way outside, then one that nips the corner, almost lobbing in there at times. I felt inconsistent, and frustrated at times that I couldn't find a consistent zone. I would guess I got about 80-percent of the "judgement pitches" (didn't bounce, good height etc) right. I gave myself a C, but my partner said I did ok. One call I'd want back. Ended the inning on a called third strike on the corner in the batters eyes. The game ended 10-9 on a 90 minute time limit (went four innings!).

Second game I was on the bases, where I felt much better. Partner was very complimentary on my mechanics, etc.

Well, I'm learning!!!
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Keep working at it don't beat yourself up over your first game. It didn't sound like a well played game. You'll discover those are the types that are the most difficult to officiate.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Agreed.... it is really hard to have a consistent zone with inconsistent pitching, especially if you are attempting to call a somewhat large zone to avoid a walk-fest. The boundaries of the zone are hard to maintain over the course of 90 minutes (ugh!) of pitches going everywhere but down the middle.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Well, I had my second plate game last night. It was 13-15 year olds. Better pitching helped me feel more comfortable calling a consistent strike zone. I missed some pitches, but I feel worlds improved from my first foray behind the plate.

The learning process goes on!
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
You will find that the better the pitching the better umpire you become! (Of course there ARE exceptions to that!) It's amazing how frustrating it becomes when you have pitchers that cannot get it in the same zip code as you! It makes it difficult to even make something a strike - at least give me SOMETHING to work with.

Just keep working and take as many plate games as you can get. The more work you get there - the more consistant you will become. The more consistant you become - the more coaches will actually WANT you in their games. Like someone said, don't beat yourself up too bad - I'm sure you did fine.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.