The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Cool 2 for the price of on in 10 U Rec

After working an NCAA regional last weekend with no trouble whatsoever I had the pleasure of coming home to a 4 pack of 10U games on Saturday. After a liveball appeal at third where the 3b did not touvh the plate I had 2 coaches out on the field(ball was live) and in myu face. When I asked them if they were on the field to question my judgement one of them turned and walked away7 and the other responded "When your judgement is that bad I guess I ahve to question it!" He made it too easy to get him out of the game. After the inning was done the other coach came to me on the sideline to loudly continue the conversation. After telling him to stop yelling 3 times he told me I wasn't going to bait him into getting thrown out too, but I S***ed as an umpire. No bait neccesarry, just a long cast on my part.

Amazing how I can get that bad going from an NCAA game to 10U's with just four days off in betwee.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm
After working an NCAA regional last weekend with no trouble whatsoever I had the pleasure of coming home to a 4 pack of 10U games on Saturday. After a liveball appeal at third where the 3b did not touvh the plate I had 2 coaches out on the field(ball was live) and in myu face. When I asked them if they were on the field to question my judgement one of them turned and walked away7 and the other responded "When your judgement is that bad I guess I ahve to question it!" He made it too easy to get him out of the game. After the inning was done the other coach came to me on the sideline to loudly continue the conversation. After telling him to stop yelling 3 times he told me I wasn't going to bait him into getting thrown out too, but I S***ed as an umpire. No bait neccesarry, just a long cast on my part.

Amazing how I can get that bad going from an NCAA game to 10U's with just four days off in betwee.
Does the behavior difference really surprise you? After all, 10&U league games have a lot more at stake than NCAA Regionals.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Similar all over. Worked 4 relatively important varsity games last week - not a problem with a coach, fan, or player all week.

Then, during my 11 game Saturday, including 8 consecutive 8U games (double elim tourney), one team was so bad during their 3 games that I had to use the non-ejection ejection of a fan (getting coach to remove him). The more colorful of the comments, "You need to have a geometry lesson" (creative, if meaningless), "What the F--- was that call?" (Yes, this in front of their 7 and 8 year old children), "They (the other team) must pay you better" (This not being their THIRD strike ... more like 20th .... but this being the one that pushed me into removing him).

And of course, during the 12U portion of the day, I get followed to the parking lot and berated after I've changed into plategear, including top-volume screaming as I'm walking away, at least 30 yards from him --- all over the fact that I wouldn't stop the other team's coaches from telling them where to throw the ball.

Crazy parents.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder

And of course, during the 12U portion of the day, I get followed to the parking lot ....
Can you say, "9-1-1"?
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see him until I had put the gear on and was actually headed back in. I kind of slowed, tried to walk around him, and kept on going. He COULD have just been heading to the parking lot himself, but he was not with his daughter, so I was wary. He started arguing with me as I got within 20 feet, and kept on going, getting louder, as I kept walking, even still going with I was at least 30 yards past him.
Old Mon May 22, 2006, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

What ever happened to "Thanks Blue, good job."
Old Tue May 23, 2006, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

With out a doubt doing Youth league games are a big problem regarding the adults. Somehow a sane 35 yr old man or woman can become "Psycho" when it comes to 10 U softball!