The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Time to say Goodbye

After 28 years of umpiring and of those, 26 were as an ASA umpire, I have come to the point in life where I have to hang it up.
My doctors have found a threatening aneurysm that is almost ready to pop and surgery is scheduled for later this week barring any unforseen problems.

30 something ASA Nationals, 5 different state High school championship series, college ball and even some of the Women's Pro ball in the 90's.
Tons of tournaments, fast pitch, slow pitch and my favorite Modified.........
Working with people from every state in the nation and having been able to work in so many states plus military installations.

I am seriously going to miss working as an umpire and especially the fun of tournaments, seeing friends and meeting new ones.

I will stay around on the board of course but it won't be the same.

You guys take care of yourselves and each other, keep a check on your health too.

I had no idea I had a problem, never even felt bad.
But the doctors have nixed any further participation at all.

Be good to each other and remember there are only two types of calls.

GOOD CALL = OUT!
Bad call = safe

Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I'm truly sorry that you have to stop umpiring before you wanted to.
I will pray for your recovery and long-lasting good health.
Thank you for all the good advice so far.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 07:39pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61

After 28 years of umpiring and of those, 26 were as an ASA umpire, I have come to the point in life where I have to hang it up.
My doctors have found a threatening aneurysm that is almost ready to pop and surgery is scheduled for later this week barring any unforseen problems.
You may regret having to hang up the mask and protective gear, but be thankful the doctors found the aneurysm and that the prognosis sounds good.

Besides, umpires never retire, they just forget the count.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Scott,

The time I spent down there with y'all is still my favorite. My first two years in ASA was in Orlando, but it was you guys that took me to the next level.

I still remember my first ejection... well, I was PU, with Brett on the bases and he had to make the ejection for malicious contact at home because I missed it. You and Jon were very good about helping me understand how I should have handled that.

My times with you, Jon, Brett, Hoss, Bill O., John Leon and the rest of the gang are still the "good ol' times" when I sit around telling umpire stories: Bill driving an RV to the Jacksonville clinic, or 17 umpires seated for dinner all standing up in unison and leaving when the waiter announced they didn't have Coors Light. (And what ever happened to that umpire in the organization who we thought weird because he shaved his legs, only to find he dressed as a woman and robbed banks?)

Seriously, I learned a lot about umpiring with HCUA, but I also learned how to enjoy it. Lots of great people. I'm sure they will miss having you on the field as much as you will miss being there.

CONGRATULATIONS for having medical care to have found this. There have been empty spots with transfers and folks leaving the ranks of officiating, but those are nothing as terrible as the empty spots left by those that have passed on.

Best of luck.
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Scott,
I never got to know you on the field - different areas of the country and all. I'm sure that's my loss. It's a lousy way to have to leave the field - but, it's a whole lot better than at least one alternative. Be thankful the docs found it AND that they have the skill to fix it.

Stat-man - dunno 'bout that. Do they lose the count or lose their balls?
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

30 something ASA Nationals, 5 different state High school championship series, college ball and even some of the Women's Pro ball in the 90's.
Working with people from every state in the nation and having been able to work in so many states plus military installations.

I am seriously going to miss working as an umpire and especially the fun of tournaments, seeing friends and meeting new ones.

You guys take care of yourselves and each other, keep a check on your health too.

GOOD CALL = OUT!
Bad call = safe

Scott,

Just because you may no longer umpire doesn't mean you have to leave softball. You know enough people in your area that I'm sure you can stay involved.

Maybe even Rocky can find something for you to do
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Scott,

Just because you may no longer umpire doesn't mean you have to leave softball. You know enough people in your area that I'm sure you can stay involved.

Maybe even Rocky can find something for you to do
I am sure I could get involved in coaching, but do I lose brain cells immediately for doing this?
Rocky is doing well, He is now in Sebring where they are building a very nice facility. I did work a tournament for him this last year and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Maybe I am mellowing in my old age, or maybe it is the other way around.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Scott:

Here is wishing you the best and a speedy recovery. We all look forward to seeing you back here soon.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:

GOOD CALL = OUT!
Bad call = safe

Scott,

Life can sure throw us some curve balls from time to time. I'm sure you must realize just how blessed you are that the doctors found the problem in time and can fix it. Today, with all the hi- tech, and vast knowledge of the doctors, your surgury will go just fine. In the mean time I'm sure many that know and love you will be holding you up in their prayers. Many on this board, who appreciate your many, many, good posts who respect you not only as an umpire, but as a person, will be praying for your swift recovery. I sure wish I were one on this board who actually met you and watched you umpire games. Who knows, maybe the doctors will give you the ok and you'll be back behind the plate for the next season opener. If not, at least you can enjoy being at the ole' ball park. Since you love to share and teach maybe this set-back will pose even more time for helping out new umpires like myself, and so many others who have much more experience, who are still wanting to better themselves in the skill levels. God speed to you! ...Al
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
update

Has anyone heard anything about Scott's surgery?
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Didn't happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Has anyone heard anything about Scott's surgery?
I went in for my pre op lab work and they found I had some sort of infection, so I had to take some anti biotics and then they reviewed everything and decided I was too high risk.
No doctor I have seen wants to take me as a patient.
I am not traveling and trying to find some doctor who is willing to take the chance and operate, otherwise I may or may not have very long to be around.
I figure my next best option is the Texas Heart Institute where they have pioneered some new techniques for dealing with what I have.

I will try to keep in touch as much as possible.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
Quote:
I went in for my pre op lab work and they found I had some sort of infection, so I had to take some anti biotics and then they reviewed everything and decided I was too high risk.
No doctor I have seen wants to take me as a patient.
I am not traveling and trying to find some doctor who is willing to take the chance and operate, otherwise I may or may not have very long to be around.
I figure my next best option is the Texas Heart Institute where they have pioneered some new techniques for dealing with what I have.

I will try to keep in touch as much as possible.
Hey Scott,

I know there are a lot of folks that are keeping you in their prayers Scott. I sure will. Nothing is too difficult for God even when things don't look too good in the eyes of men. ...Thanks for the update. Appreiciate you, and I'm asking God to be with you, and guide you in this difficult time. ...God bless you and keep you safe! ...Al