The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Look Back Rule

During yesterdays "big game" with one out, tied score, bottom of the seventh, R1 @ third and R2 at first, R2 legally advances towards second in an attempt to draw the throw from the catcher. The catcher a wily veteran simple throws the ball to the pitcher who is clearly in the circle. R2 continues to advance towards second, slows, changes speed, but never stops or changes direction. Eventually R2 arrives at second. The defensive coach is going nuts, yells for me to "Come here!" Foolishly I go over to where he is and he starts to give me what for because I did not call the R2 out for a look back rule violation. I listen for about 5 seconds and tell him there was no violation and head back out to the C position. He follows me out and tell me that was not what was talked about at our preseason meeting with the state clinician. I told him that I was also at that same meeting and the situation described at the meeting was not the same as what had just happened in the game, runner is not out, lets continue the game. Next pitch is hit for a double scoring two game over. Coach is really going nuts at my "misapplication" of the look back rule, that is the whole reason they lost the game. I just smile and leave the field.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I think that as long as the runner is advancing to the base and not changing direction, there is nothing on how slow or fast the advance needs to be or if the advance needs to be at the same speed. therefore no LBR violations. Additionally if the pitcher makes an attempt for fakes an attempt LBR is reset. Simply looking at the runner is not an attempt, this was the situation talked about by our clinician.

In our area we have nine schools and 11 umpires, I am going to see this guy again. Based upon past experiences he will bring this up again at the pregame plate meeting.

Bugg
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
During yesterdays "big game" with one out, tied score, bottom of the seventh, R1 @ third and R2 at first, R2 legally advances towards second in an attempt to draw the throw from the catcher. The catcher a wily veteran simple throws the ball to the pitcher who is clearly in the circle. R2 continues to advance towards second, slows, changes speed, but never stops or changes direction. Eventually R2 arrives at second. The defensive coach is going nuts, yells for me to "Come here!" Foolishly I go over to where he is and he starts to give me what for because I did not call the R2 out for a look back rule violation.
Only mistake here is going to him when he yells, "Come Here!!" You are now under his thumb. If he wishes to discuss a call calmly, he can request time and approach you if you grant it. "Come Here!!!" is likely to get completely ignored on my field. You have the rule exactly right.

Quote:
Based upon past experiences he will bring this up again at the pregame plate meeting.

Bugg
Well that will be an easy game for you then. Very nice - an ejection at the plate conference.

You may think I'm kidding. I'm not. I'm not an over-ejector or an OOO... but this is verboten. Every game is a new game. A manager that starts complaining at the plate conference about an old game is gone. I guarantee you won't have to deal with that garbage again.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Your application of the rule is right on. I would look forward to meeting him again, hoping that he read the book in the meantime.

However, I would recommend just a slight change in how you handled him.

1) I agree with leaving the field to meet the coach; he doesn't belong on the field. Plus the walk (gives you time to collect your thoughts.)

2) Maybe listen a little longer (without comment). Let him wear down. Then tell him how and why you ruled as you did; let him know that is the end of the disscusion and that he needs to return to the bench.

3) Turn and walk back onto the field. He should not follow. If he does, turns suddenly and tell him (strongly) the discussion is over; he is holding up the game and the players want to play and that he is to immediately return to the bench.

4) You were tolerant letting him have one more chance; this time when you turn and continue walking towards your position he better not follow. If he does, send him packing.

WMB
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
1) I agree with leaving the field to meet the coach; he doesn't belong on the field. Plus the walk (gives you time to collect your thoughts.)
I have no problem meeting a coach halfway who has requested time to discuss something with me. But a coach yelling, "Come Here!!!"? You've got to be kidding.

Quote:
3) Turn and walk back onto the field. He should not follow. If he does, turns suddenly and tell him (strongly) the discussion is over; he is holding up the game and the players want to play and that he is to immediately return to the bench.
I agree 100%
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Rule and application is 100% correct.

In the future, do not do "fetch" for the coach. As noted, if the coach feels it's important to talk to you, let him request a suspension of play and come to you. I would NEVER leave the field.

Listen to what he has to say. Cut him off if he starts to repeat himself or put on a show. Give him your interpretation and tell him the call isn't going to change. You may even want to suggest he protest the game. If he does, the conversation is over, move on. If not, turn and hustle to your position. If the coach is there when you turn around, his game's over.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Rule and application is 100% correct.

In the future, do not do "fetch" for the coach. As noted, if the coach feels it's important to talk to you, let him request a suspension of play and come to you. I would NEVER leave the field.

Listen to what he has to say. Cut him off if he starts to repeat himself or put on a show. Give him your interpretation and tell him the call isn't going to change. You may even want to suggest he protest the game. If he does, the conversation is over, move on. If not, turn and hustle to your position. If the coach is there when you turn around, his game's over.

Great call, and "GREAT" suggestions for how to handle this situation!!! I cannot believe in this day and age a coach not understanding a rule as basic as the LBR!!! Although I must admit, "COME HERE" ain't cuttin it with me:-)))
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
In the future, do not do "fetch" for the coach.
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Bugg....where was your partner during all of this? Why was he not at your side to intervene once the discussion was over. This may be something that you need to address with him, as well.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys, all of your advice is well received. I am grateful many of you took the time to post helpful and encouraging responses to my post.

Bugg