The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Hi guys,

I am having some trouble understanding the look back rule and when it takes effect. Can you help me out and clarify this rule for me under NFHS rules? Thanks.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrm21711
Hi guys (and gals),

I am having some trouble understanding the look back rule and when it takes effect...
I'm not sure what you specific concern is but I will answer what I hear many folks ask in my local association. The look back rule is not in effect until the batter runner reaches first. For example, if the batter runner has received a walk and if the pitcher has the ball in the circle, the lookback rule is in effect after that batter runner has reached first base. Obviously, if there is no batter runner, if is in effect when the pitcher has the ball in the circle.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I understand that. Say a ball hit to the outfield, batter-runner reaches second. Ball is in circle. Is the governed by the LBR?

Also, if runner stops while ball is in circle and pitcher throws or runs toward runner, the LBR is off and everything is "normal" right? This is what confuses me.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Yes and Yes.
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel
Yes and Yes.
So basically the LBR is always in effect while the ball is in the circle because a base runner will always be on base as the result of a batter runner reaching first base? Also, what about after a pitch, receiving the ball back from the catcher?

So....if ball is in circle and runner stops, she has one second to either go back or advance to next base nonstop? If she stops again and no play is made on her, she is out and ball is dead? However, if play is made on her (I recall a faint or a fake throw not being considered a play b/c not an attempt to retire runner, I think I need this assured to me again thanks!), the LBR rule is off and she can stop & start running again at will?
Old Sat Apr 09, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct execept that a fake throw is considered a play.