The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskysblue
By the way, I have read in the NFHS Baseball Case Book (couldn't find it in the softball case book) (I know, I know, baseball and softball are different games) that a runner who runs down to First on Ball Three, thinking it was Ball Four can be penalized for delay of game, with no mention of the pitcher being ready to pitch.
Fed baseball has stupid rules to combat a problem that I don't believe really exists much anymore.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
I see the rule you are citing but I have to question the "even when not entitled to do so" part. If a runner is running on a dropped 2nd strike, she is not running on the dropped third strike rule. Also, if she is running on a dropped third strike but 1st is occupied with less than 2 outs, she is not running on the dropped third strike rule. In both cases, she is running in violation of the rules. 8-2-1

I realize that I am much less experienced that most of you on this forum and maybe out of my league to reply but if the conditions for the dropped third strike rule are not met, how can that rule be applied?

That is why I thought it would be interference if the players in the dugout are yelling "run, run" to a batter on a dropped third strike when she is not entitled to run and that action confuses the catcher into throwing down.

But when I look at 2-32, interference is the confusion of a player "attempting to make a play." So maybe confusing a player to attempt a play would not be classified as interference.
Well... if you get right down to it, if this is the 2nd strike, the batter is neither a batter-runner nor a runner. Thus the rule that a "runner" being called for interference does not apply to this player.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

By the way, did anyone ask the catcher why she didn't just throw it to the pitcher covering home?

I agree with Mike. Barring intent here, this is just a dumb-move-catcher.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:31pm
softball_junky

I have not done FED FP in several years. I am just getting back into FP (ASA) this year. There was something in the FED case book about running to 1B when the D3K rules was not into effect. The umpire was to "forcefully announce" the batter was out, ball remains alive. Has this rule been changed?
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by softball_junky
I have not done FED FP in several years. I am just getting back into FP (ASA) this year. There was something in the FED case book about running to 1B when the D3K rules was not into effect. The umpire was to "forcefully announce" the batter was out, ball remains alive. Has this rule been changed?
No, that ruling in that case is still there, but says nothing about if the batter does not hear or ignores the umpire. Also, the ruling just instructs the umpire, with no effect on player specified.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
No, that ruling in that case is still there, but says nothing about if the batter does not hear or ignores the umpire. Also, the ruling just instructs the umpire, with no effect on player specified.
And it just applies to actual dropped third strikes where the batter does not become a batter-runner. It doesn't apply to cases where batter runs on a 2nd strike erroneously.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
And it just applies to actual dropped third strikes where the batter does not become a batter-runner. It doesn't apply to cases where batter runs on a 2nd strike erroneously.
Duh.... why not??
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Duh.... why not??
Either I totally misunderstand "what" the "why not" applies to, if so please excuseme and explain why; or it's obvious that the case we just referred to applies to when the batter actually is out. And it doesn't answer the original question anyway.
Old Tue Apr 04, 2006, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Duh.... why not??
Duh..... because I think you'd look damn stupid "forcefully announcing that the batter is out" on strike two.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, guys, it was a joke... some mythical goof asking. The answer was obvious. I guess the joke wasn't.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

OK - Gotcha.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Me too. Guess I was rushing too much that day.
Old Wed Apr 05, 2006, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, guys, it was a joke... some mythical goof asking. The answer was obvious. I guess the joke wasn't.
I got it!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,
wrt "That rule is telling you that running in a situation when the third strike rule does not entitle the BR to run is not interference. It (that line) was added about 5 or 6 years ago for exactly that reason. The explanation and examples given that year was exactly that; it is not in our purview to judge if the runner runs because she mistakes the situation, or if it is intentional."
Do you have an available reference, copy of a ruling, or anything in writing that we can use to document this for those who disagree?
BTW, at the moment, the rule book and lack of a case leaves me undecided about these situations.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

My personal collection of ASA rulebooks stops (starts) in 1999, the year I separated (and my ex decided what I no longer needed). If Mike or someone else with a historic collection of ASA rulebooks (WMB?) can go back before that, I believe that the one year of calling it a dead ball (to stop umpires from calling it interference) if the retired batter ran was about 1996 or 1997, then the rule was changed to the current live ball but cannot be interference the next year (1997 or 1998) with the written rationale for the change in the front of the ASA rulebook.