View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 02, 2006, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskysblue
Weird situation - NFHS FP - bases loaded - two outs - catcher drops 2nd swinging strike and batter takes off for First - all other runners take off - in the confusion, two score - finally, play is killed and umpires confer - batter is called back to the box, count 3 & 2 - all other runners sent back to bases occupied - runs nullified. Offensive coach not happy, but when offered the option of having the batter called out for delay of game, accepted the reset of the play. He actually wanted the batter to be called back, but the runners' advances to stand. I could not see rewarding the offense for a mistake the batter made. If I had thought the batter "intentionally" misplayed the count, rather than just being young and confused, I would have had the third out for delay of game.

What say you all?
Bring the batter back, all action stands. The defense must take some responsibility for knowing the count.

How are you going to call the batter out for delaying the game, when the defense was not prepared to pitch the ball to the batter.

DMC.