The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
At no time did I suggest that you work exclusively for any one organization.

Rant on!

However (bet you knew that was coming), I get tired of training umpires for ASA only to have them go off and help the competition to the point that when I need them, they are not available. And that includes NFHS. In this area, the Fed training exists of "these are the new rule changes and interpretations. Have a good season." Sure, these guys/gals have no problem sucking up FREE clinics and state school to make the $63-65 a game, but when I need them for ASA games, all I hear is, "I only work HS ball" as if they have become too good to go back and help the organization which trained them to get to the point of making the big bucks.

Rant off!

I'm not suggesting you fall into this category, but I hope you can understand the frustration.
You set me to thinking here Mike, and that can be a dangerous thing.

Rant engaged:

All too often I run into people who think that I should work just one organization of ball, primarily ASA folks, because they are the ones who provide the best training. Let's face it, the majority of us are using mechanics developed by the ASA NUS, whether we know it or not. Therefore, these people see it as a betrayal when I go off and umpire for the "competition," whoever they may be.

To this I say "bunk," or some other word that conveys a similar meaning but isn't appropriate to post here. I have never been to a clinic at the state or national level, be it ASA or NCAA or TASO(NFHS in Texas), where I didn't have to part with some big bucks to attend. So, my belief is, if I pay for the information, then it is mine to use, where ever I see fit to use it. I have paid my tuition, diligently worked on my studies, and now I am off to apply my knowledge in the advocation of my choice. Just as when I went to college, I paid for the knowledge that they imparted to me, to persue the profession of my choice, but I didn't let them tell me where and when I could work.

During the college/HS season, I work solely HS and college ball, even though there are tons of ASA and USSSA tournaments going on during this time, not to mention nightly rec league stuff. This is what I choose to do so as to not overwork myself. Then, after playoffs have ended, I turn my attentions to ASA and USSSA stuff, primarily the weekend tournaments. If an ASA and USSSA tournament are being held on the same weekend, which would I work? Well, that, too, depends. Which is my local association covering? That would be my primary concern. Next would probably be the geographical relation of the tourney to my house. The last concern of mine would have nothing to do with amount of money paid or how much I could make, but rather my preference of the facilities at which these tournaments are being played. If all were equal, then yes, I would probably work the ASA over the USSSA, simply because that is my preference.

Rant disengaged.

Mike, I know that this doesn't apply to you, since I know that you hold free clinics in order to get the information to people who seem unwilling to "drive 30 minutes from their house" to get this info. For this, I applaud you. If someone were willing to give me a free clinic, year after year, where I could get valuable information similar to a state school, then I would be there in a heartbeat, and would probably feel a certain dedication to them and their program. But, that's just not the way it is around these parts.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi

To this I say "bunk," or some other word that conveys a similar meaning but isn't appropriate to post here. I have never been to a clinic at the state or national level, be it ASA or NCAA or TASO(NFHS in Texas), where I didn't have to part with some big bucks to attend. So, my belief is, if I pay for the information, then it is mine to use, where ever I see fit to use it. I have paid my tuition, diligently worked on my studies, and now I am off to apply my knowledge in the advocation of my choice. Just as when I went to college, I paid for the knowledge that they imparted to me, to persue the profession of my choice, but I didn't let them tell me where and when I could work.

During the college/HS season, I work solely HS and college ball, even though there are tons of ASA and USSSA tournaments going on during this time, not to mention nightly rec league stuff. This is what I choose to do so as to not overwork myself. Then, after playoffs have ended, I turn my attentions to ASA and USSSA stuff, primarily the weekend tournaments. If an ASA and USSSA tournament are being held on the same weekend, which would I work? Well, that, too, depends. Which is my local association covering? That would be my primary concern. Next would probably be the geographical relation of the tourney to my house. The last concern of mine would have nothing to do with amount of money paid or how much I could make, but rather my preference of the facilities at which these tournaments are being played. If all were equal, then yes, I would probably work the ASA over the USSSA, simply because that is my preference.
I go out of my way in clinics and schools to insure new umpires that I will never tell them they cannot work another organization's game.

I will tell them that since I am providing the training, etc. that, when needed, I expect the same consideration from them as they would expect from myself and ASA when something is needed.

Now, here is the next issue with which I have concerns that some gypsies/greens tend to disagree. When making assignments and/or recommendations for tournaments whether state, regional or national, an umpire who dedicates their time and abilities to the ASA program will receive preference IF QUALIFIED to work the tournament.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

I do only girls FP. There is little ASA JO FP in Michigan, other than the state tournament which the powers-to-be generously sent to the west side of the state once and I had an invite to work it.

I have invested my money in ASA shirts and hats. Every year I pay my dues and attend the district and state clinic, even to driving half way across the state. Last year I spent my money for the fees and expenses of a national clinic in IN.

Why? Yes, to help myself. But primarily to maintain my skills and knowledge as a trainer for a 200 member high school umpire association. Thus I agree with Skahtboi's position:"I pay for the information, then it is mine to use, where ever I see fit to use it."

WMB
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichiganBlue
I do only girls FP. There is little ASA JO FP in Michigan, other than the state tournament which the powers-to-be generously sent to the west side of the state once and I had an invite to work it.

Than maybe you should expand your game to include SP.

Another point raised at a regional clinic this week. It was strongly recommended that FP umpires work as many SP games to hone their skills. Many of the mechanics are similar and there is plenty of action. If you can handle the SP game, you can handle the bases on any FP game with ease because you will be ready for anything.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Now, here is the next issue with which I have concerns that some gypsies/greens tend to disagree. When making assignments and/or recommendations for tournaments whether state, regional or national, an umpire who dedicates their time and abilities to the ASA program will receive preference IF QUALIFIED to work the tournament. [/B]
But do the gypsies/greens really care about state, regional or national tournaments? I mean, let's face it, there really isn't a ton of money to be made there, and isn't that what they are really wanting? The big bucks made quickly.

State and National tourneys are, or at least should be, a recognition of one's ablities and help/dedication to the program. I couldn't agree more. But, let me ask you this. If you are in an area where your umpiring association covers both ASA and USSSA(or even XYZ) equally, because that is what your clients/customers want, would you not feel the need to bestow the honor of a State or Regional tourney to that person(s) who best served the association?

Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Here's what I get from various clinics. First of all a head start on the season. It feels good to be brushing up on things in Feb when there's still snow on the ground. It's also good just to see people you meet at tourneys and such. And I would be lying if I didn't say that I want the higher ups to see me there too. It shows that I'm willing to go out of my way to be better at the game.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2006, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi

But do the gypsies/greens really care about state, regional or national tournaments? I mean, let's face it, there really isn't a ton of money to be made there, and isn't that what they are really wanting? The big bucks made quickly.
More the gypsies. Rarely say anything to me, but plenty gets back to me about what is said out of my presence.
Quote:

State and National tourneys are, or at least should be, a recognition of one's ablities and help/dedication to the program. I couldn't agree more.
To some level, yes. State, regional and national tournaments are competition to determine the better teams. For these games, you assign qualified umpires. There are a few folks, and not just around here, who believe they put their time in, so they should get choice assignments. As everyone here knows, longevity has nothing to do with someone being a good umpire.
Quote:

But, let me ask you this. If you are in an area where your umpiring association covers both ASA and USSSA(or even XYZ) equally, because that is what your clients/customers want, would you not feel the need to bestow the honor of a State or Regional tourney to that person(s) who best served the association?
Depends on what you are referring to as "association". If anything other than ASA, absolutely not!

My responsibility is to ASA and the umpires who work ASA in my state, period. I don't give a hoot what an umpire does for any other organization.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Depends on what you are referring to as "association". If anything other than ASA, absolutely not!
What I am referring to is my local umpiring organization, a state organization under ASA classifications. We have a little over 100 member umpires, and our customers/clients(the local P&R departments for the cities in our county) play ASA and USSSA, and even some NFSA. In other words, city A plays ASA, while city B plays USSSA. So...my first obligation is to my local umpiring association, and helping them get all of their games filled. I shouldn't have to worry about whether or not I am wearing a powder blue shirt on that day, or a red one. My primary function is to help out my local association and all of our clients, not some national/international faceless organizations. The players in my community will always come first, regardless of which codes those players' P&R departments chose to play by.

Now, if I do a good job for my local association, am always professional, attend the requisite clinics...etc., shouldn't my District UIC for either ASA or USSSA feel free to recommend me to higher level play based on those merits alone? Or, do you feel that I should abandon the desires of my local communities, and work only in those towns that play Brand A ball to be considered for state and national tourneys?

Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
Quote:
What I am referring to is my local umpiring organization, a state organization under ASA classifications. We have a little over 100 member umpires, and our customers/clients(the local P&R departments for the cities in our county) play ASA and USSSA, and even some NFSA. In other words, city A plays ASA, while city B plays USSSA. So...my first obligation is to my local umpiring association, and helping them get all of their games filled. I shouldn't have to worry about whether or not I am wearing a powder blue shirt on that day, or a red one. My primary function is to help out my local association and all of our clients, not some national/international faceless organizations. The players in my community will always come first, regardless of which codes those players' P&R departments chose to play by.

Now, if I do a good job for my local association, am always professional, attend the requisite clinics...etc., shouldn't my District UIC for either ASA or USSSA feel free to recommend me to higher level play based on those merits alone? Or, do you feel that I should abandon the desires of my local communities, and work only in those towns that play Brand A ball to be considered for state and national tourneys?
I never suggested anyone abandon their communities or not work other associations, did I? DID I?

Again, I don't care what you do for other associations, I will only take into consideration what the umpire does for ASA, their qualifications and ability to handle the level of the tournament considered. If you primarily work City B (USSSA), I'm not going to see you. I am going to watch those working ASA. Again, I don't care about the other organizations, or your local association. I care about ASA. I care about what the umpire does when working ASA. I care about the umpire's ability to handle the level of ASA in question.

I don't care about what an umpire does for other organizations no matter how they get there. I've seen umpires come into my small state with credentials from other sanctioning organizations which turned out to be total duds. I've also seen umpires from other organizations come in a do a very good job working ASA ball.

I've worked national tournaments with umpires who work many other types of ball and don't know how some got there. Then again, I've worked with some ASA guys and wonder the same thing.

I know different areas and UICs handle this in a different manner and that is their business. However, as dedicated to your local association as you are, and I applaud you for that, I am dedicated to the members of the state association. BTW, did I happen to mention I only care about ASA?
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I never suggested anyone abandon their communities or not work other associations, did I? DID I?
No. And I didn't say that you did, either.
Quote:
BTW, did I happen to mention I only care about ASA?
I think that you might have mentioned that, maybe once or twice.

Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
Quote:
No. And I didn't say that you did, either.
Quote:
Or, do you feel that I should abandon the desires of my local communities, and work only in those towns that play Brand A ball to be considered for state and national tourneys?
Maybe you didn't mean it, but that is how I read the sentence above.
Old Thu Mar 16, 2006, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Or, do you feel that I should abandon the desires of my local communities, and work only in those towns that play Brand A ball to be considered for state and national tourneys?
Maybe you didn't mean it, but that is how I read the sentence above.
Sorry. Not what I intended by that comment. I was asking for a genuine opinion.