The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 23, 2001, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Question how far do are liabilities and responibility go on injured players??

SIT: Thursday night co-ed D league big husky boy hits line drive to a female F3 ball knicks off of glove and hits F3 squarely in the forehead knocking her down but not out. She is down for about a minute than her foolish teammates help her to her feet where she about falls back down several times before being assisted to the dugout. She tries to tell everybody she is alright and wants to come back in the game her coach also says that he wants to let her come back in. Myself and the other umpire persuade her and the coach to keep her out for at least a inning not having any real medical expertise feel the player probably at least has a mild concussion. She reenters the game the next inning and even on her next at bat hits a liner to left but I still feel and wonder if we should of refused to let her back in the game that night. Also if we had refused, her team would have had to play the remaining of the game short-handed would the coach be able to protest??

Injuries, How would you handle

Don
Old Sat Jun 23, 2001, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Don,

This is a tough one. Most of us are umpires and
have no medical degrees. Since this was an adult
league you were involved with (and I know safety,
is always a concern), if the individual says that
they are able to play, then we have no real re-
course but to let them continue. JO ball, legally
dont think we can say whether or not a player must
leave the game when injured, unless violation of
the Blood Rule. Maybe some of the blues with more
longevity will shed some light on this subject.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2001, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Mike will be the one who can really answer this with authority - and that will most likely give all of us some guidance. Federation rules state that a player who has been knocked out may not play again that day unless you get a written note from a doctor. As near a I can recall, there are no other restrictions (minus any blood). As a man who cares a great deal about others, I've seen a number of folks in a game that I really did not think were fit to play - due to injury, sickness, whatever. As an ump, I do not see that decision as being part of my responsibility or authority.
Old Sun Jun 24, 2001, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Unless you are certified or licensed in some form of medical practice(s), you really have no say on this matter.

As much as we would like to be helpful and care about the well-being of another, it is better to stay silent on the subject.

When questioned, it is better to defer to the manager, coach, teammates, etc. I would suggest that you do not even make a statement such as, "Yes, I'll let her play" simply because you have then made a comment that could be perceived as a decision.

If there is medical personnel in the vicinity, you might have them called over an ask them to look at the situation and then step aside. When this happens, I take my partner to the other side of the field, just to remove any question of us, as authoritive figures, from the scene.

Just because we have the insurance, I see no reason to test it in a court of law if not necessary.

Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 12:15pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Head injury?

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Unless you are certified or licensed in some form of medical practice(s), you really have no say on this matter.

As much as we would like to be helpful and care about the well-being of another, it is better to stay silent on the subject.

When questioned, it is better to defer to the manager, coach, teammates, etc. I would suggest that you do not even make a statement such as, "Yes, I'll let her play" simply because you have then made a comment that could be perceived as a decision.

If there is medical personnel in the vicinity, you might have them called over an ask them to look at the situation and then step aside. When this happens, I take my partner to the other side of the field, just to remove any question of us, as authoritive figures, from the scene.

Just because we have the insurance, I see no reason to test it in a court of law if not necessary.

Sure you can come back in ... as soon as I see a note from a doctor.
mick
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Mick,
That is the rule for Fed games, but not so for ASA. I think - and know that I have absolutely no legal knowledge -that by making a statement as to whether you would or would not allow a player who'd been injured to re-enter, you're taking on some responsibility that isn't yours to take. For adult ball, let them figger it out, for kids' ball, let the coaches handle it. You might, from a rules standpoint, even be opening yourself up to a protest by not allowing a legal team member to come back into the game. On a personal note, I think I prefer Fed's requirement. But, we don't make da rules, we just make sure they're followed.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 03:03pm
In Memoriam

Cool I hear that.

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Mick,
That is the rule for Fed games, but not so for ASA. I think - and know that I have absolutely no legal knowledge -that by making a statement as to whether you would or would not allow a player who'd been injured to re-enter, you're taking on some responsibility that isn't yours to take. For adult ball, let them figger it out, for kids' ball, let the coaches handle it. You might, from a rules standpoint, even be opening yourself up to a protest by not allowing a legal team member to come back into the game. On a personal note, I think I prefer Fed's requirement. But, we don't make da rules, we just make sure they're followed.
Steve M
I still want a note.
I'll let 'em protest.
It remains a game.
mick
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

The difference between the Fed and ASA is that the Fed takes into consideration you are dealing with youth players, under the responsibility of a school official or designee.

For all intent and purpose, a NFHS game is basically played on the school's time and liability and at a location approved by the participating institutions.

In ASA, the coach(es) usually do not necessarily have a legal right and/or liability to speak as an authority for the child or make any "decisions" in case of medical emergencies. I'm sure many organizations use the standard waivers, contracts, etc. to relieve coaches from some responsibilities, but that is that particular team or organizations, not ASA. If you ever paid attention to how ASA handles things you will notice that they often go out of their way to avoid even a remote possibility of being placed in precarious or litigeous situations.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2001, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

All of the AFA (American FastPitch Association)
tournaments that I have participated in, qualifiers,
State, and Nationals have full mobile units with
large medical staff at each complex if more than
one is being utilized. Mist tents. Player or an
umpire goes down to heat or injury, it takes about
one (1) minute for someone medically licensed to be
on the spot. Last three ASA tournaments I took
part in, did not even see a first aide station. In
any event do not think that as umpires, [unless
MD, and then they too would probably back off because
of the liability problems] that we should make any
call on whether player(s) continue, unless blook rule
invoked.JMO
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.