The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

I am going to try to actually implement an idea I read on this board, starting an umpire journal of situations that I encounter on the field. I am going to do this not only for myself, but I am going to have the umpires that work in the league I am UIC of also document strange situations they see. I think this will allow us all to learn from each other, and it will be a teaching tool for the younger members. My idea is to have them document the situation they see and what their ruling was, and I will review them and with help of you all when needed, make sure their ruling was correct, and if not document the correct ruling.

Finally to the question....any of you have any advice on questions to ask on a form to make sure that I get all the information needed to be able to put myself in their shoes to make a correct decision on the play? We all know there are VERY small details that make a HUGE difference in outcome or the correct call on the field. I will try to improve these forms as the year goes on, just looking to see if you all have any advice to get me as good as possible starting out!
Thanks,
Dave
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a good idea. What code would this case book be for? You will need somebody who knows how to write (probably someone with expertise in documenting methods and procedures or the like) and also has a pretty good knowledge of the game.

Are you thinking in terms of multiple-choice format, or would it be an open-ended "How would you rule on this play?"

[Edited by greymule on Mar 2nd, 2006 at 12:04 PM]
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like quite an under-taking. Glad you feel the burden and not me. Happy to help, though.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
I'll take at least some of the credit (or blame) for this suggestion. I've done this for a number of years and it's fun to look back at what I noted as a somewhat experienced ball player and inexperienced umpire - the thought process has changed a bit.

You may find some other specifics that you want to include. I start with a description before the pitch - runners? outs? ... Then what happened - did mechanics come into play - do I want to try other mechanic if this happens again. What was the ruling? What does the book say, was it the right ruling? How/what am I going to do if it happens again?

An example of a change I've made as a result. Runner on 2B, less than 2 outs, BU in C. Fly ball in the Vee - between the left fielder and the right fielder. Used to be that PU had the ball, BU had the play on the runner. That works fine if the runner does not try to advance or if the only play is at 3B. I saw a partner get stuck with a rundown & he had to take both ends. Now, I want BU to take the fly ball and stay at 2B with PU in a holding zone, ready to take a play at 3B and at home. This covers both ends of a rundown. Now, I find a lot of people using that. I'm not the only one to come up with this thought - I do want to note that. But I do think this will become a standard mechanic at some time.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
You will need somebody who knows how to write
Maybe you can contact the guy who writes the ASA umpire test?
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe you can contact the guy who writes the ASA umpire test?

I already have. He is very interested and sent me a sample question:

True or False--

R1 on 3B, R2 on 3B, 2 out. BR hits a ball to F7. R3 rounds 3B and collides but the throw is wild. BR is interfered with while off the base with less than 2 out. The runner is between 3B and 1B when the ball goes into DBT. No other fielder had a chance to make an out. Intent was not overruled, in the opinion of the coach.

The umpire rules dead ball, BR scores, other runners return at risk of being put out.

I told him I'd get back to him.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Runner on 2B, less than 2 outs, BU in C. Fly ball in the Vee - between the left fielder and the right fielder. Used to be that PU had the ball, BU had the play on the runner. That works fine if the runner does not try to advance or if the only play is at 3B. I saw a partner get stuck with a rundown & he had to take both ends. Now, I want BU to take the fly ball and stay at 2B with PU in a holding zone, ready to take a play at 3B and at home. This covers both ends of a rundown. Now, I find a lot of people using that. I'm not the only one to come up with this thought - I do want to note that. But I do think this will become a standard mechanic at some time.
Both ends of a rundown is fun and then I don't have to work out that night.

I kind of like that mechanic as well, similar philosophy to going out on a fly ball when at A or more than 2 umps.
By "stay at 2nd", I assume you mean outside the bases (C position), but what happens if you are then in line for the throw from the outfield to 3rd.
If "stay at 2nd" means inside the bases and the runner goes, what is your technique for avoiding the runner? Of course, that would apply to many situations. My technique includes shading toward the most likely play to be made, judging the runner's speed (physical and mental), then starting quickly and "dancing" if needed.

Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Greymule,
I am not trying to make an official case book, but to answer your question it would be ASA as that is what our league does. I also do Fed, so I will add any plays that I see at the high school level.

I was going to use this as more of a teaching aid, in that if an umpire had something that was bothering them, a play that just didn't seem right they could write it down and I would answer it to either give them the correct ruling or the to assure them they were correct. Not that I am the expert, but I have you all to help me make sure I am telling them correctly!!

This was an idea I got from Steve and others, and it sounds like a good one, I am the UIC of this league and have been for I think this is my 6th year,and I am trying to find ways to get answers to other umpires about situations they encounter. Thought this might be a good way, nothing every means as much as a situation you were actually a part of! Thanks for all your ideas.
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Greymule asked
"By "stay at 2nd", I assume you mean outside the bases (C position), but what happens if you are then in line for the throw from the outfield to 3rd.
If "stay at 2nd" means inside the bases and the runner goes, what is your technique for avoiding the runner? Of course, that would apply to many situations. My technique includes shading toward the most likely play to be made, judging the runner's speed (physical and mental), then starting quickly and "dancing" if needed. "

I'm getting inside, so I won't be in line with any throw. On a line drive or with the fielder charging, I may even stay out. Generally, I'm getting inside right away and making the catch/no catch call from there.

Shading towards the most likely play to me really sez knowing the game and knowing what should happen - for the most part, I agree with that, but we can only "count" on the second part with more skilled players - and even then, not always. And you need to add in to that knowing what you are physically capable of doing. So far, I'm still pretty capable.

My technique for avoiding the runner is -
1-Read & react. What the players do dictates a lot of what I do.
2-I'm faster than the runner. I've had 1 player outrun me - ever. That was last year and is one of the reasons I've spent some time working out during the off-season. With more than 25 lbs less of me and legs that are in better shape than they've been in years, I'm not expecting that to happen for another couple of years.

Dave - Let me suggest that you not tell your umps whether they are right or wrong. Tell them where to find the info they want & need. Then talk it over with them a second time. This will give each of them some ownership of the answer instead of just parrotting what you said.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2006, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Steve,
Good idea, I reread my post and that sounded bad! It was my intent to discuss the cases with the individual umps (in my league most are youth umpires wanting advice) and provide the rules that pertain. It was only going in the diary for all to learn from with no name associated as to not provide any finger pointing, etc between anyone! But I appreciate your point it is never a good idea to tell someone they screwed up, provide them with the rules and help them discover that there might have been a better/different interp that should have applied in that situation.

Thanks again,
Dave