Thread: Dear Diary
View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 02, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,
I'll take at least some of the credit (or blame) for this suggestion. I've done this for a number of years and it's fun to look back at what I noted as a somewhat experienced ball player and inexperienced umpire - the thought process has changed a bit.

You may find some other specifics that you want to include. I start with a description before the pitch - runners? outs? ... Then what happened - did mechanics come into play - do I want to try other mechanic if this happens again. What was the ruling? What does the book say, was it the right ruling? How/what am I going to do if it happens again?

An example of a change I've made as a result. Runner on 2B, less than 2 outs, BU in C. Fly ball in the Vee - between the left fielder and the right fielder. Used to be that PU had the ball, BU had the play on the runner. That works fine if the runner does not try to advance or if the only play is at 3B. I saw a partner get stuck with a rundown & he had to take both ends. Now, I want BU to take the fly ball and stay at 2B with PU in a holding zone, ready to take a play at 3B and at home. This covers both ends of a rundown. Now, I find a lot of people using that. I'm not the only one to come up with this thought - I do want to note that. But I do think this will become a standard mechanic at some time.