Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota

There is 100% agreement in the universal church on the canon of scripture contained in the Protestant bible - that is all demoninations of Christianity agree that all of the Protestant Bible is the inspired canon.

Apparently, not since there remains more than one version for Christians.

Also, have a hard time with a logical conclusion that the verse recognized by those who ceded from the "church" would be accepted as THE bible.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

You misunderstand what I said... I said that the Protestant Bible contains only books that are ALSO in the Catholic Bible. That is, the Catholic church agrees that all 66 of the books in the Protestant Bible belong in the Bible. The disagreement is over what is NOT in the Protestant Bible but is in the Catholic Bible.

The Catholic Bible includes books that the Protestants do not accept as part of the canon. Examples: Tobit, Judith, 1 & 2 Maccabees, Sirach, etc.

But all books that the Protestants accept are also accepted by the Catholics.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

The Catholics don't accept the Protestant version of the bible any more than the Protestants accept the Catholic version. Trust me ... before I woke up, I was raised Catholic. There are many pieces of the Protestant bible that are not accepted, but the most glaring would be the Protestant version of the Ten Commandments. I think you're looking at this through one-sided glasses if you think that non-Protestants accept the Protestant version as 100% inspired.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dweezil24
For the love of God, I'm a pastor and even I want this thread to die!
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
The Catholics don't accept the Protestant version of the bible any more than the Protestants accept the Catholic version. Trust me ... before I woke up, I was raised Catholic. There are many pieces of the Protestant bible that are not accepted, but the most glaring would be the Protestant version of the Ten Commandments. I think you're looking at this through one-sided glasses if you think that non-Protestants accept the Protestant version as 100% inspired.
Never said that. For that matter, I haven't said much of anything in my last few posts.

It's just fun seeing people defend their beliefs.

Point being that people can believe whatever they choose to believe. Someone disagreeing doesn't make it wrong, nor does it make it right. However, the same should be true on the other side of the coin. Those who choose to not believe shouldn't be judged simply because they question the basis of another's belief.

Okay, alph, since you are done with this thread, you just as well lock it up.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Never said that.
Of course you didn't. Dakota did. Humming a little Carly Simon lately?
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

You guys are reading things into what I said... things I didn't say at all.

I said in the very beginning that translations were not inspired. And, I never said the Catholics accepted the Protestant translations.

I said that all of the books (you know, Genesis, ... Paslms, ... Revelation) that are in the Protestant Bible are accepted into the canon of the Catholic Bible. I did NOT say they were translated the same.

I also never said the Protestant translated Bible was inspired or inerrant and the others were not. I merely said the Protestant's do not accept some of the books in the Catholic bible into their accepted canon.

I was stating history of the bible as we know it today, not my beliefs. The history of the canon and when and how the split happened between what we now know as the Catholic and Protestant bible is just that... history. Relating that history is belief-neutral. It is merely fact.

You people that enjoy being skeptics are the ones with a belief system to defend in this topic of the canon, since your belief system seems to focus on differences. For me, it is merely interesting history.
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

I'm not a church goer, but can y'all tell me if there's anything in there (Old or New Testament) that says if we have to make them tuck in their shirt tails?
Old Wed Mar 08, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
I'm not a church goer, but can y'all tell me if there's anything in there (Old or New Testament) that says if we have to make them tuck in their shirt tails?
Good perspective SC Ump! You will find that verse in the second chapter of Jude (hee hee).

I am a "churchgoer" am an elder also. I would that all share my beliefs. I will glady discuss my beliefs with anyone, as Paul told Timothy to "be ready always to give an answer TO EVERY MAN THAT ASKETH YOU a reason of the hope that is in you with MEEKNESS and fear:" I Tim 3:15.
If one asks, we'll talk!

I also hold to Phillipians 2;12 where Paul told the Phillipian Church to "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling". Again I'll be glad to share my beliefs, (and hear yours), but if we don't agree, thats OUR choice. (heck, some of you may even be Democrats! uh-oh, another can 'o worms!).

Bottom line is; We all believe something...even atheists and agnostics, and all are responsible for our OWN beleifs. The right to believe as ones faith directs is a right which I believe is God given, as well as in this country a right which many have fought and died for.If my faith leads me here, and yor faith leads you there, so be it....PLAY BALL>>>
Closed Thread