Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
How about ...
call it OBS (fake tag) with no advance because if the call was "safe" - after F6 picked up the ball, the runner would not have reached 3rd.
Cannot have OBS, fielder had the ball
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Why are so many hung up on the defense leaving the field? It has absolutely no bearing on the play or the request for help. Besides, it was the offended team which tried to take advantage of the play.

Bring th defense back out, runner starts on 2B w/2 outs.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wadeintothem
Quote:

Wonder what the OP did...
Glad you asked... I was waiting for responses, then I would post what happened.

I don't feel like I made the call too quickly, it was just that the runner's body blocked my view of the dropped ball as she slid. F6 was able to scoop up the dropped ball quickly and act like she completed the play. Of course, all the fans are yelling as well as the offensive teams dugout, both of which had a clear view of the ball on the ground.

After consulting with my partner, we returned the defense to the field and placed the runner at second base. I could not justify placing her on third because had I called the play correctly in the first place, she would only have been on second.

Some mild complaining from the defensive coach - "You already called the out, Blue! You can't change it now!" But they clearly saw the ball on the ground too, and were just complaining because they thought they should.

Offensive coach did not say a word about placing the runner on second.
Old Tue Feb 28, 2006, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Andy, you did make the call too soon. You've got to wait longer to make sure that what happened doesn't happen (defender dropping the ball) prior to making the call. If you see the tag, but in all of the movement you lose the ball, tell the defender to show it to you. Say "BALL" while pointing at the defender with your left hand. If she brings it right up into your face without a bunch of fidgeting, bang the runner out like there's no tomorrow. Trust me, I know this from mucho experience and several bills into the pizza fund for making this exact mistake. As for how to rectify the situation should it occur, I agree with what you did - runner to stay at 2nd.
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 04:54am
Official Forum Member

Troy,
Reread the play - during the tag the fielder dropped the ball and then scooped it up. Even with you asking for the ball, you're going to make the same call at the same time Andy did. Sometimes you just can't get to where you need to be, especially in a 2-man. Sounds like you handled it right, Andy.

Would you change anything on your positioning, if you'd had the chance?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

Some mild complaining from the defensive coach - "You already called the out, Blue! You can't change it now!"
Gotta love that one. Don't these idiots know you are THE UMPIRE and you can change anything you please?
Old Wed Mar 01, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M

...Would you change anything on your positioning, if you'd had the chance?
Only to be inside the infield to see the dropped ball, but then, we're not playing baseball, are we???

Otherwise, no. I parallelled the runner going to second, I was in a good 90 degree angle position from where the tag was going to be, about 6-8 feet away. The runner's body blocked my view of the dropped ball as she slid. The ball being dropped and scooped up happened so quickly that I never saw the ball on the ground.

Thanks for the comments and opinions, all!