Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem

Quote:
Originally posted by Justme

Later, same coach. Runner slides safely into 2B. Without asking for time he steps off the base & starts brushing the dirt off. F4 is standing next to him with the ball in his hand and tags him out. Here comes my now favorite coach saying "The play was over, time was out". I said "Who called time out?" His response was a confused look then "You should have called time." With a smile on my face I said "No coach, your player should have asked me to call time out."

I love this game.....
if its all over but the 2basman hoping to tag the player and the player staring at me from the ground holding the base - I will call time out - even if the player dont ask for it.

Wasnt there so dont know the situation or how long you/player waited - but just saying what I do (whether right or wrong) - done just to keep things moving. [/B]
In that situation I would call time out too, just to keep the game moving. In this situation the runner popped right up, no hesitation. I usually do not call time unless asked and only in certain situations. Slows the game down too much when you call time after every play like this. I am always aware of my game time management and keep my games moving along at a brisk pace. Of course I always call time when I'm cleaning the plate or the results of the play require me to do so.

By the time you reach HS you should know that you stay on the base unless time is called and time is not called automatically just because you want to dust yourself off. I had a couple of the F/S kids signal for time out as they ran the ball in...it ain't gonna happen. Use your little arms and throw the ball in....no time out needed.

[Edited by Justme on Feb 23rd, 2006 at 01:48 PM]
Old Thu Feb 23, 2006, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by debeau
The devils advocate .
So its ok to appeal BOO after a completed bat but its not ok to put it right .
Where in the rule book does it say the coach cannot and how can you act on an action without a proper appeal .
Do you say "sorry coach you cant replace that person even though you know you did wrong and even though the defense will now appeal and you will have an out "
Where does it say they can?

You act when the defense appeals the BOO. If the offense's manager opens their mouth, they deserve an out for being stupid. DMC!
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ISF

Debeau,

take a look to ISF Rulebook, Rule 7, Sec.2-d.

It's all in "EFFECT - Sec.2c-d"
Point 1 and 2.

Ciao
Old Fri Feb 24, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Very good Antonella .
It is important to note the little things as this effects the rule to apply or not .
In this case the batter has finished their turn at bat and has become a BR so now it cant be put right .
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can almost see what probably happened.. it probably turned into a useless noise fest with many talking about anything other than the rule at hand and in the confusion the wrong ruling was grasped onto..

I go to those things so my name is on the sign in sheet so I'm qualified for regionals or whatever homage I'm paying .. but to be honest, rules clinics are IMO virtually useless just for this reason - I do my rule learning in the quiet of my own home on this forum - where you can pull out books, get opinions of many very experienced umpires and get a great look and discussion about a rule quesiton.
Amen! You are so correct.

In my opinion, unless you're with a group of experts, "group learning" is inefficient and often counter-productive. In fact, I would say that more confusion and misinformation results in such groups.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

We have our rules meeting soon and will do the obligatory review of rules changes. However, association meetings are generally horrible venues for rules discussions. It's tough to bring up something complicated when 90 percent of the attendees can't wait to get out of there.
Old Sun Feb 26, 2006, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can almost see what probably happened.. it probably turned into a useless noise fest with many talking about anything other than the rule at hand and in the confusion the wrong ruling was grasped onto..

I go to those things so my name is on the sign in sheet so I'm qualified for regionals or whatever homage I'm paying .. but to be honest, rules clinics are IMO virtually useless just for this reason - I do my rule learning in the quiet of my own home on this forum - where you can pull out books, get opinions of many very experienced umpires and get a great look and discussion about a rule quesiton.
Then the clinician didn't have control of the clinic. Shame on them. First rule of a clinic, no general questions accepted that begin with "what if".
Old Mon Feb 27, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Then the clinician didn't have control of the clinic. Shame on them. First rule of a clinic, no general questions accepted that begin with "what if".
probably...