The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

Seemed like a good heading for this topic. Anyway, I spent yesterday at a men's invitational and saw some pretty good ball - and some pretty bad ball. I've gotten to a point where my initial appearance is really good - uniform, polished shoes, blocked cap, .... And, I've gotten to where my mechanics are pretty crisp & precise. All this to say that looking right - uniform & mechanics - go a long way towards getting less grief on those plays that are bangers. I'll use 2 partners yesterday as an example. First is retired military (at least I think an Air force puke is military) and the other is a former world class Major level player. Uniform on the Air Force guy was pretty good & somewhat sloppy on the old player. Each made the correct call on the banger, but weren't emphatic andcaught some grief. I had several bangers throughout the day - plat & on bases - and the most I heard was "Damn, I'll bet you've been waiting all day just for the chance to do that thing." Just another of those reminders - When we look like we know exactly what we're doing, people assume that we do - until we prove them wrong.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Cannot agree more..........worked a BIG (and I mean BIG) kid-ball tournament this weekend......(I almost begged off because I am still not 100%......but did not want to disapoint Area UIC)

ASA State tournament uniform code in effect......

I had all my shirts and pants pressed.....new 8 stitch hat.....shined shoes till they hurt your eyes.....gave it all the extra attention.

Really been concentrating on my field mechanics this year and called 13 games........only 1 coach told me I needed glasses......

UIC was from out of the area and gave me a great evaluation......

I also got the Championship game (along with our Dist. UIC).

Ribs were still a bit sore after Fridays games......but loosened up Saturday and Sunday.

LOOOOOONNNNGGGGG Saturday.......First game at 8:00 a.m. and finished my last at 10:15 Saturday night.......did not have to come back till 12:20 Sunday for the undefeated bracket game and thought I might get to sleep in.......But had to get up early to wash and iron shirts.

Thanks Guys.......a lot of the credit goes to y'all.

Joel
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up WOW.....

Sounds like you are really getting ready
for the big STATE assignment. Were by
chance, you in Pasadena or Lake Jackson?
It was rather warm Saturday. I had six
games (ASA) District 38 tournment on Sat.
in Lufkin.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

In League City......Dist. 31.

Just got a letter today from Studdard to call in the State Tournament for 10U in Lake Jackson ......... (I did NOT put in on my availability list).......I can't do it......prior commitments.......crud!!

I am still waiting for the 18U in July......

I am calling an 18U scrimmage tomorrow night........

New mask and shinguards.........(my others got stolen....I won't go into that......funny that whoever took them left my cup though........)

I also lost my K1.........gonna have to call with my old ALL-STAR stand-by.

I got a good Wilson Light-weight mask and replaced my ALL-STAR star shin guards.........gonna take a few more games to have the $$$ to replace the K-1 though.........(sigh).

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Jun 4th, 2001 at 10:16 PM]