The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 02, 2001, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Question

SIT: I am FU no runners on and position down 1st base line in foul territory. B1 hits a line drive screamer down the line I turn and see the ball land a foot foul of the foul line turn back at the PU he is pointing fair ball. I move into position after the play F3 which had basically same view as I did is hollering "foul ball".

Later PU tells me he was for sure the ball landed on the foul line. I have no doubt it was a foul ball but did not say anything but my view and angle was much better than the PU's.

Should I have corrected the call or let it stand??

Don
Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Don,
I would not have turned on that, so I would not have seen whether the ball was fair or foul. I would have been moving to get inside the infield. That's what you should have been doing also. That's not your call, so do not make the call. If, and this is a big IF, your partner needs your help, wait or him to ask, then give him the information that he asked for, and let him make the call. I think you'll find that the well-trained ump will know his responsibilities and priorities on the field AND will take care of his responsibilities, in a prioritized order, and only then will be available to give help when asked.

To answer you question "Should I have corrected the call or let it stand", the call was correct (based on what the PU saw) and you were not asked for additional information. Let it stand.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Don,
I know I'm going to be in dangerous territory here, but I'm going to disagree with Steve. But just a little bit.

If this has not been part of you and your partner's pregame then Steve is correct.

That being said, in the pregame, if I've got the plate, I tell the FU that in case of the bounding ball near the bag, or the line drive that pins him in A and hits close to his position giving him a clear look, that he is to point fair or foul as the case may be, and then I will enforce his call with the verbal foul or by pumping the ball fair.

This may be because of the mechanic in baseball, in which the PU has fair foul to the bag, and the FU in A has fair foul beyond the bag. Im many case the FU can see the bounding ball across the bag much clearer than PU who is avoiding the BR and F2. The short line drive that hits the ground a few feet beyond the base is very tough on PU but is usually clear to the FU in A.

Just my thoughts. I'd never try to overrule the PU on the fair/foul call unless he asked if he has made a call.

Roger Greene,
Member UT
Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oppool
[B]SIT: I am FU no runners on and position down 1st base line in foul territory. B1 hits a line drive screamer down the line I turn and see the ball land a foot foul of the foul line

Don, JMO, Even if "screamer" got to you quickly enough
for you to have had to hesitate slightly before going
in and you saw what you thought to be a foul ball, that
is still PU call, and as Steve stated unless asked by
PU, left it be.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Roger,
That's no disagreement, that's just making it a bit more complete. I assumed - & we all know what that can do - this scenario had not been covered in the pre-game.

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Greene
Don,
I know I'm going to be in dangerous territory here, but I'm going to disagree with Steve. But just a little bit.

If this has not been part of you and your partner's pregame then Steve is correct.

That being said, in the pregame, if I've got the plate, I tell the FU that in case of the bounding ball near the bag, or the line drive that pins him in A and hits close to his position giving him a clear look, that he is to point fair or foul as the case may be, and then I will enforce his call with the verbal foul or by pumping the ball fair.

This may be because of the mechanic in baseball, in which the PU has fair foul to the bag, and the FU in A has fair foul beyond the bag. Im many case the FU can see the bounding ball across the bag much clearer than PU who is avoiding the BR and F2. The short line drive that hits the ground a few feet beyond the base is very tough on PU but is usually clear to the FU in A.

Just my thoughts. I'd never try to overrule the PU on the fair/foul call unless he asked if he has made a call.

Roger Greene,
Member UT
Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of things here.

Reference to Roger's note about a bounding ball, ASA this year reverted to giving the PU total responsibility for all ground balls, regardless of where it passes the bag.

As a BU, if you turn your back on the infield, even on a line drive, that technically makes it the BU's call. It is difficult to "alert" your partner that you are "going out" on a play like that, but the PU should be aware of his partner's location. If the ball is that close to the line, his partner should actually be blocking his view.

That said, Don, from your description, it sounds like you made no effort to go out, therefore, it is still your partner's call and help should be offered only if asked.

Old Sun Jun 03, 2001, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I again appreciate everybodies great advice and try to store it all in the ole memomery of this old brain. I do find it hard sometime though to bite the upper lip and not say anything when I see an error call but do understand what you all are telling me.

Thanks

Don
Old Mon Jun 04, 2001, 03:50am
Official Forum Member

MIke,

In both situations I described, the FU in A would still be looking toward the infield. He won't be comming inside to pivot untill after the ball has passed his position, and even then may be "pinned" if F9 is playing shallow.

If the ball is behind the FU in his A position when it first becomes fair or foul, BU should have plenty of time to get set for a view of the line.

The trouble ball for PU is the one that is so hot, and either bounding over the bag or striking the ground just beyond the bag (at 60 feet) almost before he can get his mask off. Don't you just hate those that might have bounded over the last 1/2" of the outside corner at 3rd?

Roger Greene,
Member UT