The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

One of the reasons that I hate to do 12U or younger is that the coaches have yet to really learn the rules. They just nab tidbits of them, and run with them. Of course, this is not true of all coaches at this age level, just a bunch of them. Below are some things that I was schooled on by coaches at a tournament this past weekend.

-If any part of the batter's foot is outside the lines of the batter's box, or if their foot makes contact with with home plate, then that batter is out. No pitch has to be thrown.

-If the runner rounds first, and then stops, she must then return to first base or else she is out. She cannot continue on to second base.

-If the batter hits the ball with the bat a second time, she is automatically out. It doesn't matter if she is standing in the box at the time, or that it was accidental.

-If two players occupy the same base at the same time, both players are automatically out. There is no play required.

-If a runner on base makes any motion to leave, regardless of whether or not they maintain contact with the base, before the release of the pitch, they are out.

-There is no such thing as a dead ball strike. The only choices that we, as umpires have, is a dead ball, ball on the batter, or dead ball, advance the batter.

It was a very educational experience, so I thought that you all would like to know what you can and cannot do for future reference.

[Edited by Skahtboi on Oct 24th, 2005 at 01:20 PM]

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I had a HS Varsity coach claim that the Infield Fly Rule was meant to protect the infielders, NOT the runners. And this was a coach who's team went to the LA City 4A finals.

Oh, well.

Bob
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to coachsara Send a message via Yahoo to coachsara
Wink interesting...

-If any part of the batter's foot is outside the lines of the batter's box, or if their foot makes contact with with home plate, then that batter is out. No pitch has to be thrown.

I too was schooled on this rule this weekend.

You learn something new everyday.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

State sectionals....

A BR who has reached 1B is out if she LOOKS AT second!
(this was thankfully only from the coaches in the stands)
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

this past weekend

this past weekend I was reminded by a 12U coach that there was no need for an appeal on runners leaving early on a caught fly ball...which was nothing new.

the NEW appeal rule I heard last weekend was that if one is appealed, they are ALL appealed.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

"the NEW appeal rule I heard last weekend was that if one is appealed, they are ALL appealed."

Wow, and I thought I had heard them all. Guess I should never be suprised!
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi

-If two players occupy the same base at the same time, both players are automatically out. There is no play required.
One of your coaches must have convinced one of the umpires that was working the same tournament as I was last weekend because this call was actually made!

Needless to say...feedback was provided.

Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Not a lesson in rules, but mechanics

Saturday, last game of the night. 14U pitcher is having all sorts of trouble finding my partner's strke zone. It may have been tight, but was not jumping around. She just let the first couple pitches that my partner "missed" get into her head, started overthrowing and couldn't find the proverbial broad side of the barn after that. My partner was hit, both directly and from the catcher's misses I'd say at least 6 times throughout the game. Toward the end of the game, I overhear the girl's coaches in the dugout say something like, "well if he'd get in behind the catcher, he'd have a better view of the zone and not get hit as much". I did not tell my partner about this piece of advice until after the game, but the funny thing was that he told me that he figured out that she was looking at him instead of the catcher while winding up, and after he moved behind the catcher, she started throwing strikes. For the record, I don't think that his shift in posititon hurt is zone at all. By the way, the whole time that the pitcher, catcher, everyone really is *****ing, their team is leading the game. They made an error in the last inning that put the tying run on base, she scored and that's how it ended. AHHH Justice!
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
State sectionals....

A BR who has reached 1B is out if she LOOKS AT second!
(this was thankfully only from the coaches in the stands)
I thought it was the Look Back Rule, not the Look Forward Rule.
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NSABlue
"the NEW appeal rule I heard last weekend was that if one is appealed, they are ALL appealed."

Wow, and I thought I had heard them all. Guess I should never be suprised!
I was UIC this past weekend and, I swear on the soul of Merle Butler and Henry Pollard that I had a coach come and ask me about this during a game.
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Re: this past weekend

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones
this past weekend I was reminded by a 12U coach that there was no need for an appeal on runners leaving early on a caught fly ball...which was nothing new.

the NEW appeal rule I heard last weekend was that if one is appealed, they are ALL appealed.
Then I guess if one player was good, they're all good!

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on Oct 25th, 2005 at 04:23 PM]
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

With this past season "in the books"- I did my last game a week ago- I would say that I had about the usual amount of confusion on the rules that are usually confusing to coaches.

Foul Tips: Had three coaches swear this was a foul ball and that the runner stealing at the time should be sent back.

Hit Batters: Had one whose batter was hit while swinging at a pitch and swore she should be awarded first.

Batter's Box: Had a couple of complaints about batter's not being "in the box", when they were well within the defined- yet unmarked- limits.

Substitutions: Had one coach go near-ballistic because a starter re-entered a game and he "knew the rules" and just knew that wasn't allowed.

Base Awards: Several confused coaches regarding how many bases and from what point the bases were awarded.

Just the usual stuff we run across several times every year!

But the one "new" rule myth that was dropped on me this year really blew me away. I had one coach claim to me that if, on the third strike, the catcher's MITT made any contact with the ground on the catch, then it was considered an uncaught strike!

I had never heard that one before...and hope to never hear it again!

[Edited by BretMan on Oct 25th, 2005 at 03:04 PM]
Old Tue Oct 25, 2005, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BretMan
But the one "new" rule myth that was dropped on me this year really blew me away. I had one coach claim to me that if, on the third strike, the catcher's MITT made any contact with the ground on the catch, then it was considered an uncaught strike!

I had never heard that one before...and hope to never hear it again!

[Edited by BretMan on Oct 25th, 2005 at 03:04 PM]
Apparently he was watching the MLB playoffs!