The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Where would you draw the line?

Where I am work, they have decided that using profanity should not be a part of the game. I had a left fielder boot one 2 weeks ago and everyone in the park heard him use the Magic F bomb. The ump of another field even asked me what had happened. Anyway he was ejected because of his flagrant use of profanity.

What would you allow?

Is it ok to use it at all?
What if you direct it at another player?
What if it is directed at you?

We can go round and round on this I would imagine, but the stance being taken here is dont allow it. Some casual stuff, like the pop up, mumble to yourself stuff is fine. However, if the rest of the park can hear it well have a seat.

Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to coachsara Send a message via Yahoo to coachsara
A 14 year old pitcher using it at a runner on the opposing team got her tossed. Her coach's use of it directed at me as a result of disagreeing with my decision got him a forfeit.

Zero tolerance in youth ball.

[Edited by coachsara on Sep 21st, 2005 at 02:07 PM]
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
By saying it is not our job to bring in morality when someone uses the F bomb, you are bringing your morality or lack of it into the mix. Dave
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

How about just using a little common sense? Here our adult rec. leagues prohibit profanity in their local rules. I cover this at the pregame by reminiding them of the local rule and informing them that depending on what they say and how loud they say it this may be the only warning they recieve. Then just use a little common sense, if it's 10:30p and the only ones at the park are on the field I'll let most anything go. If little Timmy is at the fence and just learned a new word from Bubba the first baseman we have a problem. This should be one of those things that depend on the situation, not the morality police.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shipwreck
By saying it is not our job to bring in morality when someone uses the F bomb, you are bringing your morality or lack of it into the mix. Dave
Okay, I'll try this again. Who says using that word is immoral?

Seriously? Just where along the line did someone determine that this word was inappropriate in public? There are enough educated seniors on the board, that I expect an intelligent answer to this question.

Since Dave has chosen to take this to the extreme, I wonder what he was reading as it certainly wasn't any of the posts in this thread.

No one stated it should be ignored. No one said baldgriff was wrong in handling it the way he did. No one has suggested anything other than the manner in which it is handled. Can you disagree with differing opinions? Sure. Can you condemn others just because their beliefs don't fall in line with yours? You can, but that is your option, nothing more than others would expect from you in a free country.

Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Well I guess if I bring my opinion to this board, I get the "intelligent conversation ends here" and "prudishness of my mother" brought up, yet others bring up their opinions and it is fine. Guess I'll just make sure I watch what I say. Dave
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Seriously? Just where along the line did someone determine that this word was inappropriate in public? There are enough educated seniors on the board, that I expect an intelligent answer to this question.

Since Dave has chosen to take this to the extreme, I wonder what he was reading as it certainly wasn't any of the posts in this thread.

No one stated it should be ignored. No one said baldgriff was wrong in handling it the way he did. No one has suggested anything other than the manner in which it is handled. Can you disagree with differing opinions? Sure. Can you condemn others just because their beliefs don't fall in line with yours? You can, but that is your option, nothing more than others would expect from you in a free country.

Here's my 2-cents; I hear what you're saying, in some areas of the country, different terms and language is used more readily and is accepted as "standard". I'm from the south and sometimes when seeing if someone wants to go to lunch, we might say "dgeatyet?". We have alot of strange words like that that we use regularly but that doesn't make it right. The Fbomb is the Fbomb, is the Fbomb. We all have different moral and religeous convictions about this but in my book, that's an unacceptable word.

During a HS game I gotta say you cannot get away with an Fbomb in the classroom so you cannot get away with it on the field. The fields where I work SP, they tell us that if it offends the umpire in the 6th or 7th inning, then it better have offended you in the 2nd inning. If it offends the ump, we are to warn then eject.
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Funny you should ask...

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

I doubt any of the seniors on the board would be able to answer based solely upon recollection. If so, they would have to be about 300 years old.

If you ever have the chance to work with me and so desire, I'll rip off some Middle English for you. My remembrance of college classes gone way by tell me the "f" word goes back that far, to the 1100s or 1200s (like many of our other words) in pretty much its present sense. Apparently it was not considered to be a vulgarity until around the 1700s, but was never used to any large extent until more modern times. (As an aside, if it were to have been considered a vulgarity, and/or a word used a great deal, Chaucer probably would have used it in the Tales. He DID use the "c" word, among others. Here's another thought: if someone used the "c" word on the field, would we toss them even more quickly than the various ways in which the "f" word can be used?)

BTW, I'm not exactly the morality police, but there are no "f" bombs ever in a youth game I work (well, not more than one). In adult ball, I'm pretty lenient...
Old Thu Sep 22, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Funny you should ask...

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbjones

He DID use the "c" word, among others. Here's another thought: if someone used the "c" word on the field, would we toss them even more quickly than the various ways in which the "f" word can be used?)

One being a verb, the other a noun, I would say the noun could be considered a disparaging remark toward another player, coach or umpire.

Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

How about the "r" word? Does the "r" word merit immediate ejection?
Old Sun Sep 25, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting and irrelevant side note... ASA COED Major..... unhappy player calls blue a "puta"... MOST of the people in the stands knew that wasnt a good thing. Umpire ran him.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whaddayouknow
How about the "r" word? Does the "r" word merit immediate ejection?
No idea. WTF is the "r" word?