The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Starts this weekend..and I can't wait! Had a nice two week break, and now nothing but fun stuff! Here in the Hudson Valley NY, we get two games by ourselves for....$45 a game for a DH...nice!Sunday mornings-hour and halftime limit! Around here, the 'league' consists partially of high school squads where the varsity coach wants to look at JV
kids,or varsity kids that want to work,and partially of travel teams- absolutely NO pressure....I even tell the coaches that I'm ignoring all sub rules,and that if they want to do anything special,just to let me know!

Our assigner uses this as a 'reward' for the people who have worked BIG time for him all summer- I guess I was REAL nice to him- have two Saturday night, and two Sunday morning...lol

anybody else here in the east have this kind of situation??

sometimes I get better checks for September/October than I get for August! :O

Old Sun Sep 11, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, mine started this weekend too. Took the wife to Niagara Falls & worked a couple of games in Amherst/Buffalo on Saturday (D1 schools) - with observations by a couple of folks I've got a lot of respect for.

While I don't need to work fall ball anymore, it keeps me on a field - and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. As long as I'm not losing money, I don't really care what they're paying.
Old Sun Sep 11, 2005, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

worked a couple of games in Amherst/Buffalo on Saturday (D1 schools) - with observations by a couple of folks I've got a lot of respect for.

Steve:

While working an 18& under tournement in N Texas this weekend I got to talk with Denny M and Jim C during my time off. I assume these are the 2 you are referering to. Both very knowledgeable and well respected people. I am glad to call both of them friends.

Hope you had a good time
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 03:42am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I had a ball. Denny has been a friend & mentor & all for a number of years. I haven't known Jim that long, but I've been impressed.

btw, Jim became a grandfather Friday evening - I think he was still "flying" Saturday. Big grin & several pictures.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

We have a high school fall bal league and also a rec ball league here. I don't know the rate for the HS but the fall ball is one man, $60 for the DH and 1 1/2 hr time limit, drop dead.

The pressure is definitly off. Yesterday we started an inning with a runner on first. when she was doubled offon a fly ball we left her there and had runner on first 2 outs. the coaches do what they want and I had 2 of the 3 coaches yesterday tellme no bounce, nobackstop call it a strike. It doesn't do much for focusing your zone but it does make the girls swing the bat and creates a lot of action.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Well while you guys and girls are winding down our season here in New Zealand starts in 3 weeks officially and before that with a few pre season matches and training
weekends .
After a few months of hibernation I am looking forward to it
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Well while you guys and girls are winding down our season here in New Zealand starts in 3 weeks

Who said anything about winding down. Fall tournaments have started for our youth teams. Colleges will start having their fall tournaments next week through the end of October. 3 big college exposure tournaments that I will go to (Fort Worth, Houston and the biggest is the Batbusters in So Cal just before Thanksgiving). Not until after the first week in December do we slow down in North Texas and Houston area goes longer than that. NCAA clinics start in L A in December, High School meetings start first of January. This is pretty much a 11 1/2 month season now. AND I LOVE IT
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Saturday night- Fairly routine stuff....EXCEPT..one team was a local catholic school, so they had their usual pregame prayer....(I THINK their F coach MIGHT be a nun...)..and then a kid checks her swing on a pitch..EVER so slightly..no more than an inch...and is suddenly on the ground in PAIN, grabbing her front shoulder...and weirder still..after they iced it up..she came back to pitch late in the second game!!! And oh yes, inbetween games, I walked to the local patch of woods for some...'relief'..and walk back..ready to go....except...I dropped my cup somewhere over by my 'watering spot'! Being as it was game time, I sucked it up, and did the game sans codpiece....and after the game taking my buggy over there to shine a light to see if I could find it..which, Thank God, I did....

Sunday- Nothing too unusual...except...I made damn sure I had all the kids line up before we started for a moment of silence for 9/11...especially since this school I was at is RIGHT next to West Point...Also, its funny how you can spot certain things-I was there fairly early, and saw the one team (whom I have never seen before) arriving,picked one kid out, and thought- "THERES a pitcher"- not that she was especially leggy or anything, but there was...SOMETHING....1st game, she played second or something..but sure enough, Guess Who pitched Game 2? And was...GOOOOD....Then her coach tells me...she hasnt pitched in a year and a half!!! Of course...then she had pitched her LL team to the regional finals so....