The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

R1 on 2B, B2 hits ground ball into RF. R1 rounds 3rd and is headed for home. Throw comes in high and off line intersecting the 3B line about 10-12 feet up the line and goes to backstop fence.

F2 goes after the ball and collides with the 3B coach as the R1 is 2 or 3 steps from home plate. The collision occurred because the 3B coach had come down the line towards home plate waving R1 around.

B2 advanced to 2B on the throw.

The call was Interference on the coach. R1 was declared out, and B2 was returned to 1B.

Any thoughts?
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I know it's interference if the 3B coach interferes on a batted ball. On a thrown ball, doesn't the ball remain live?

However, if the 3B coach is running down the line to distract the defense, the out should be called. Collision would qualify as a distraction.

Interference call would be a dead ball and runner should return to base.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Good call,
I bet that coach will remember not to run up the line toward the plate.

However, on Coach's Interference, there is a delayed dead ball, the only case where interference isn't an immediate dead ball.
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

It was the right call.
According ISF rules, BTW, ball is dead immediately (on every kind of INT ball is dead - no exceptions).
Runner closest to home plate is out and runner(s) must return to the last base legally achieved before the time of INT.

A
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo
R1 on 2B, B2 hits ground ball into RF. R1 rounds 3rd and is headed for home. Throw comes in high and off line intersecting the 3B line about 10-12 feet up the line and goes to backstop fence.

F2 goes after the ball and collides with the 3B coach as the R1 is 2 or 3 steps from home plate. The collision occurred because the 3B coach had come down the line towards home plate waving R1 around.

B2 advanced to 2B on the throw.

The call was Interference on the coach. R1 was declared out, and B2 was returned to 1B.

Any thoughts?
Speaking ASA

If the coach was truly directing the runner and not trying to interfere with the play, I may have nothing especially if B2 just rolled into 2B and didn't attempt to advance to 3B. If B2 attempts 3B, I may have INT if I judge F2 had a possible play.

Rules 4.7.C.2.a, 8.7.O & POE 33.E
Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scottk_61
Good call,
I bet that coach will remember not to run up the line toward the plate.

However, on Coach's Interference, there is a delayed dead ball, the only case where interference isn't an immediate dead ball.
Where did you get the DDB? Not in ASA.

Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Mis-application of the rules by Scott.

For coaches assisting a runner, DDB and runner is out at end of play. (8.7.E)

For this thread, 8.7.0 is applicable rule. Coach interferring with defensive player's opportunity to make a play, immediate dead ball, runner is out, others return.

WMB

Old Fri Sep 09, 2005, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm, I think I thought it correctly but said it poorly.
Oh well, thanks for making the rule clear.
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 04:38am
Official Forum Member

Irish Mafia
That would be my opinion too .
Even though there was another runner but he was not advancing My opinion no interference as ther was not a chance of a play .
However here in NZ we have been directed this is still interference .
Old Sat Sep 10, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue

Mis-application of the rules by Scott.

For coaches assisting a runner, DDB and runner is out at end of play. (8.7.E)
Misapplication of the rules by WMB.

The assisted runner is out immediately. No DDB, no DB, just out.
Quote:

For this thread, 8.7.0 is applicable rule. Coach interferring with defensive player's opportunity to make a play, immediate dead ball, runner is out, others return.

WMB
Sorry, but you just cannot make a blanket ruling when the rule specifically states the interference must keep the defender from making a play on another runner.

If there is no play, there is no interference. Just because runners may be moving when the coach, who is legitimately out of the box, gets in the way of the fielder chasing an overthrown ball does not mean the defender had a viable play on a runner. The umpire must observe the entire situation and make a judgment call, but it is never automatic.

Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

What do you do if there is no play?

Mike,

If interference occurs but in the judgement of the umpire no play was possible, as in this case, do we have a live ball? Or do we kill it so the the offense does not get an advantage and put any runners back to the last base touched at the time of the interference?

Thanks!
Randall
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

I will help in a training method here .
Think of what you have written .

If interference occurs but in the judgement of the umpire no play was possible .

Do we then have interference ?( look up definition of interference )

If the offense gets an advantage by having runners advance . Do we have interference ?

By this training method the person rethinks their question looks at a rule book and answers the question .
They are therefore not blindly by good meaning umpires giving wrong interpretations .

NOTE : My last statement does not reflect any advice on this forum !
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: What do you do if there is no play?

Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
Mike,

If interference occurs but in the judgement of the umpire no play was possible, as in this case, do we have a live ball? Or do we kill it so the the offense does not get an advantage and put any runners back to the last base touched at the time of the interference?

Thanks!
Randall
If a runner is still attempting to advance, then a play is possible and interference would be the call if the umpire judged there could have been a play made.

If the runner pulls up to 2B and, in my judgment, is not going to attempt to advance farther, once the C gets a hold of that ball, I'm killing it. If the runner rounds 2B and is heading toward 3B, there is a possible play.

Before everyone wants to disect this with the "what ifs", forget it. It is judgment that YOU, the umpire, is going to have to make. My only point was that the entanglement between coach and fielder does not automatically mean there is an INT call.