The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 13, 2001, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I need some input from some of the fine umps on this site.The other day during a JV NFHS game while doing the bases this is what comes up.R1 is on first and I'm in the slot at second and the runner is stealing second as I get into position on the first base side of second in the outfield and the throw gets away at second.I'm now rounding second as the runner is heading to third.The secondbaseman makes a good recovery and throws to the inside of third base where there is now a bang-bang tag.Being in the outfield with the shortstop in my sight line and being on the run with the body of the third baseman in my way I have a terrible view.I don't see a tag so I look to my b.u. who is in perfect position up the line from home plate.Now I give my partner that look that says please take this call and he just looks at me and kind of tilts his head like no you got it.I didn't see a tag so I signal safe.The defensive team starts screaming she's out so my partner says do you want a appeal and the coach saysyes so with a big flurry he signals out.So did I do anything wrong is my question?
Old Fri Apr 13, 2001, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

During my pre game conference with my partner,I always discuss that scenerio with them.If I am the plate umpire in the situation you described,I would have been down to make that call at third base.I verbalize to my partner,"I got third"and then I expect him(or her)to immediately head toward the plate to cover a possible play there in case of an overthrow.I dont want to put down your partner,but he blew that one.The way you described the play,he left you out to dry,and then showed you up with his appeal.The proper appeal process should have been the coach appealing to YOU to get help.Then at that point,appeal to your partner if you were screened from the play.As far as I am concerned,you didnt blow that coverage he did.(unless in the pre game it was discussed that you make that call in that situation.)I hope you let your partner have it with both barrels after the game!

Jeff

[Edited by mo99 on Apr 13th, 2001 at 09:36 PM]
Old Fri Apr 13, 2001, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Jeff,
Unless you're a whole lot faster than anyone I've ever seen, you can't possibly get to a good position to make that call. Mo's right, since nobody else was on, your partner should have been moving toward 3B on the throw to 2B and then hustling to 3B yelling "Jeff, I have third" once he realized there was a bad throw. Sounds very much like you got hung out to dry by your partner - maybe through his ignorance, maybe through his wanting to look good by making you look bad, maybe some other reason. But we'd have had a very intense post-game. My partners know that I will cover 3B any time nobody is gonna score AND that I verbally let them know that I'm there. We cover this in our pre-game. HS & ASA pre-games can be pretty short as I've worked with just about everyone, our college pre-games are likely to be longer since partners can come from all over the state and we may not have worked together before.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2001, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed......PU should help in this situation.........as Steve stated.....when I am PU I will move up the third base line and holler "I've got third" so there is no mistaking who has the play.

However........on an overthow past 2nd......try cutting inside the diamond.......and move towards third making the call from there. You won't be in the defenses way and it is a lot shorter distance than trying to follow the funner around 2nd.

Joel
Old Fri Apr 13, 2001, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

There is a great misconception among many of the older umpires that I have run into concerning the FP game. Too many believe that they've got the plate and their partner has everything else.

Well, it just isn't true, but you need to be on the ball as to what your partner believes the mechanics to be.

The only thing that you may have done wrong was get close enough to 3B to let your partner off the hook. If I come inside and see my partner up the line with a lone runner, I'm not even looking to get to the play. I'm cutting toward the right side of home where I belong.

Old Sat Apr 14, 2001, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
I naturally agree with the rest of the guys. My question is what was the PU doing asking the coach if s/he wanted to appeal. That's the kind of guy I'd avoid like the plague.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2001, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with all the comments and especially SamNVa, that
kinda partner you definitely need to leave at home.
It appeared as if he just wanted to look good, maybe be-
cause it close to playoff time. Hope someone knowledgeable
(coacher wanting playoff umpires) figured out what took
place.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.