The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I would like to know how you vets see this play.

SIT: B1 hits a pop up in foul territory by his dugout, F5 and F1 chasing to make the catch a player in the dugout yells out "I got it" F1 and F5 stop in their tracks the ball lands between them.

Interference B1 out or foul ball??

Thanks again for the replies

Don
Old Thu Apr 12, 2001, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
This sounds like verbal interference to me. If I have any notion at all that F1 and F5 stopped because of the verbal call, then I'm going to bang out the batter. If nothing else it'll teach the player in the dugout a lesson.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2001, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

B1 is out if you think that one of the fielders would have been there to make the catch.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2001, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

I have had the same type of sit. but didn't really think about awarding the out. What do you think about the catcher "talking" to the batter during a pitch? I have had a catcher ask if it was okay and told her that I would prefer that she didn't and to leave the "talking" to her teammates.
Ricko
Rick Stowers
Old Thu Apr 12, 2001, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Ricko,

I will not allow a catcher to talk to a batter once the pitcher is ready to pitch. I do a league where a lot of the girls know one another and there is a lot of friendly banter between the catchers and batters, but once everyone is set, all the chit chat stops.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2001, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with what you all have said interference B1 out but if I am the offensive coach and this happens here is what I would argue. Please respond

TIME: Hey blue how can you call my batter out for that I was reading this interference rule over the weekend and did not see this covered under that rule

1. You cant have "interference on a runner" there are none and my batter never left the box

2. No interference by a coach none of them said or did anything at all!

3. Rule out "catcher inference" or "umps interference" right?

4. "Spectator interference" I dont believe so they have to reach into play to cause interference dont they?

Fake tags belong to the defense a player without the ball so we rule that out

Yes Blue, I will gave you unsportsmanlike conduct and you can gave us a warning or eject the player if you like I will point him out(a player that was not going to play anyway)but nothing on this would make B1 out. I believe you are wrong!!

Ok guys convince the coach of the interference call please

Thanks

Don

[Edited by oppool on Apr 12th, 2001 at 08:18 PM]
Old Thu Apr 12, 2001, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say...

"Coach, that is a great parsing of rules 7 and 8 for all mention of 'interference.' You only forgot one rule: Rule 1. Now, let's play ball."

Rule 1: INTERFERENCE. Interference is the act of an offensive player or team member,...that hinders, or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play. Contact is not necessary.

POE 28 clarifies: "[interference] may be in the form of physical contact, verbal distraction, visual distraction, or any type of distraction which would hinder the fielder in the execution of a play. Defensive players must be given the opportunity to field the ball anywhere on the playing field or throw the ball without being hindered."

See crystal clear to me.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2001, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I'd say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
"Coach, that is a great parsing of rules 7 and 8 for all mention of 'interference.' You only forgot one rule: Rule 1. Now, let's play ball."

Coaches will definitely "forget" to mention part of a rule - they're out there to win. I remember a college coach who brought the book out to show a buddy of mine the "applicable" rule - it just so happened that her thumb was over the part that clarified the intent and negated her point. And she's the chair of one of the NCAA committees.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2001, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

All right Blue(Dakota) I will gave you this one. B2 your up

Good reply Thanks

Don
Old Fri Apr 13, 2001, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: I'd say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
it just so happened that her thumb was over the part that clarified the intent and negated her point. And she's the chair of one of the NCAA committees.
Hmmm... I wonder if in her role as committee chair she will try to get that unfortunate clarification moved somewhere else in the book
Old Fri Apr 13, 2001, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: I'd say...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
it just so happened that her thumb was over the part that clarified the intent and negated her point. And she's the chair of one of the NCAA committees.
Hmmm... I wonder if in her role as committee chair she will try to get that unfortunate clarification moved somewhere else in the book
Yeah, right. From her aspect, she is doing every single thing that she can to win that particular game. To her credit she gave the guy a good eval for not taking her wrd on the rule - AND I am very sure that the eval would have nailed the PU if he had merely taken her word.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2001, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: I'd say...

[/B][/QUOTE]

Coaches will definitely "forget" to mention part of a rule - they're out there to win. I remember a college coach who brought the book out to show a buddy of mine the "applicable" rule - it just so happened that her thumb was over the part that clarified the intent and negated her point. And she's the chair of one of the NCAA committees. [/B][/QUOTE]

I wonder how the eval would have turned out if he tossed the coach for attempting to show him up by bringing the rule book out onto the field?
Old Fri Apr 13, 2001, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
I think that would have gotten ugly. The standard form we use does have a place to indicate any special happenings and it does need the AD's signature. I go by the premise that bringing a book onto my field gets 1 very stern warning and then an ejection if the "bringer" insists, but I am kinda glad that wasn't my game.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2001, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Steve,

If I see them coming, I will step toward them and, in a level just loud enough that they can hear me, I will tell them not to come out onto the field of play with the book. I consider it a hot dog move. It has to be an intimidation attempt, because we all know damn well that coaches don't read the thing. d:-)

If they insist, I will give them their say and then say good night.

Old Sat Apr 14, 2001, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Mike,
Sounds like we handle that pretty much the same.