The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Just wondering:

1) Does LItlle League have the same pitching rules as ASA? Can they step on the rubber with both hands together? Can they start with the non-pivot foot outside the rubber? Can they lick their fingers (Like the players in the College World Series) and go straight to the ball?

2) Are the obstruction rules the same as ASA? Is the interpretation the same?
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
If you go back to about the middle of July, there are some comparisons addressed to me by U M Sam.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 09:15am
VaASAump

There are some pitching rules differences between LL and ASA (sorry CecilOne, couldn't find the post you were referencing). But there aren't that many.

If you would like, I have "created" a rules difference worksheet between LL and ASA. E-mail me and I will send it to you.

Serg
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Went to the LL Softball Junior World Series today in Kirkland, WA.

Several things of interest:
1. Saw 4 different umpires work the plate. None worked the slot. 3 were over the top, one seemed to be peering over the outside shoulder.

2. 4-man crews. Fly balls to outfield, no one goes out. 2B umpire didn't button hook or come inside, more like an "L" to somehow cover the play. Had a sliding tag play at 2B...umpire had to look through SS to make a guess on the play.

3. Every umpire mirrored foul balls, and had two different 1B umpires signal "out" on every third strike whether caught or uncaught, called or swinging.

4. Everything in the concession stand was on the house, but the separate Hawaiian Ice stand made them pay full retail price.

5. Adjustable caps...not the ones that are sort of ok, but the ones with the plastic tabs in the back.

6. Trinket seller had personalized pins for each umpire, and the umpires AND the teams could buy the umpire pins.

Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
It looks like bk is hijacking this thread, and I am about to follow suit.

I would mention that we need to remember that this is a U12 level and, while it would be nice to see the best of the Blue on the field, I wouldn't expect to see the same people working the NCAA post season in games at this level. We can only hope that these umpires have been assigned, and recognize there assignment, as a reward for their hard work and dedication to the game at the level they are at in their careers and that they will continue to work at their game, learn, and improve. And, maybe these are the mechanics taught by Little League? On the other hand, if these officials work higher levels of softball and they think they are showing the world how softball umpires should work I can only shake my head.

On another tangent, the NPF playoffs and All-Star game will be televised the weekend of August 27/28 and we can pick on the best of Blue from the greater Chicago area. Oh, and maybe see some good softball, too.

[Edited by CelticNHBlue on Aug 18th, 2005 at 04:04 PM]
Old Sat Aug 20, 2005, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Answers assume no LL rule changes in the last 2 years.

1) Does LItlle League have the same pitching rules as ASA?No, slight differences. Can they step on the rubber with both hands together? No Can they start with the non-pivot foot outside the rubber? "Off", yes. "Outside the width", no. Can they lick their fingers (Like the players in the College World Series) and go straight to the ball? No.

PS, a similarity to ASA is that both have pitching plates. There should be no rubbers used during the game.

2) Are the obstruction rules the same as ASA? Is the interpretation the same? Not worded exactly the same, but interpreted the same.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2005, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

NPF

The umpires for the NPF playoffs will not be entirely from the Chicago Bandits umpire staff. In fact, my sources tell me only two of the Bandit staff umpires will be participating in the playoffs and all-star game. I believe it is the league's intention to bring other team umpires into town to participate as well.