View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 28, 2005, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Years ago there was this one pitcher that would complain about every single pitch not called a strike, even the ones that hit the plate. He was very aggressive when it was his turn to bat, always shooting the box, when he would hit a pitcher with the batted ball he would laugh and make fun. This guy was one of the most obnoxious a-holes any one could ever meet. I don't mind telling that when his career as a player was ended more than one umpire and player could only laugh at the irony. It seams that a hot shot hit him in the snot bucket and upper mouth area, breaking his nose and removing three teeth. That is the only time I was happy that a pitcher got hit.

As for protecting the pitcher.
1) Have a wider strike zone, it is the pitches straight down the middle that buzz the tower the most.
2) Hot bats for hot player, low level players should not be able to use hot bats.
3) Softballs used to be softer, remember when soft balls were just bigger baseballs, yarn wrapped around a cork core?
4) Move the rubber back, In USSSA the pitch can pitch anywhere from the rubber to 2nd base.

These are just suggestions, I am not a fool and know that most of these ideas will never be implemented. But some day (may have already happened) somebody will get killed by a hit off of a hot bat. There is NO way I would be a pitch in slow pitch softball.

Bugg