The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 10, 2001, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Question

What do you guys do when you don't have your "A" game with you.

I had two games tonight (with a rookie partner)......I was BU in game 1.......VERY good game.....very tight, both pitchers good (miracle for a 10U game) and ended at 3-1. Met one of the coaches from the eteamz board who's daugter pitched (she was the winner). No problems in this one except for a steal of third where I got a bit close and gave an UGLY looking out call.

Anyway......2nd game......14U - one very good team against a mediocre team......I am PU and can just not get comfortable with my zone.........both catchers were very mobile and moved a bunch.

Final score was a mercy rule 17-0 after 3 innings (about 1:20 on time)........

I think I missed about 5-6 pitches on the losing pitcher............and maybe 1 or 2 on the winner.......WAY more than my usual 1-2 pitches I question myself over.

Any hints from y'all when you are in a blowout to keep your concentration on track?

Thanks.......

Joel

BTW.......Rookie was pretty good.......he is about 20 and should make a good umpire.......picked up on stuff pretty quick and implemented suggestions immediately.......these were only his 7th and 8th games......hope he sticks around.

PPS.........Also........the SB Gods are being kind to me.........I must have dropped my wallet in the maintenence building while changing........I got a strange page a while ago and answered it........it was the ballfield maintenence man who paged me from a business card from my wallet.......gonna run and pick it up in the morning.

Curtis.........Thanks!!!

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Apr 10th, 2001 at 11:01 PM]
Old Tue Apr 10, 2001, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Consistent

Joel: Just like the players it is tough to have your "A" game with you every night. I also worry about the pitches I might have missed or judged wrong. But something I've found that almost all coaches and players want is for you to be consistent through out the game. I did a game tonight where I called a third strike on a young lady for the third out and she wasn't to happy, thought it was inside, but when I heard the teams catcher tell her I had been calling them there all night it made me feel like I had been just that...consistent.
Keep them young umpires coming...I was at the Indiana ASA 2-day clinic last weekend and the stat was given that the average life span for a umpire is 3 years...if they make it past the 3rd year they normally stick around.
Blow-outs...concentration...just plain tough...no suggestions here...hope to hear some
Old Tue Apr 10, 2001, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Bandit........

Who were your National instructors?

Joel

[Edited by Gulf Coast Blue on Apr 10th, 2001 at 11:00 PM]
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 07:06am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb one knee.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gulf Coast Blue
What do you guys do when you don't have your "A" game with you....

Any hints from y'all when you are in a blowout to keep your concentration on track?

Joel,
When you can't quite lasso that strike zone, try dropping to one knee, for about an inning. That has a nice stabilzing effect.
mick
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Instructors

Joel:

This was a State School and the instructors were all state UIC's &/or on the ASA State umpire board. The instuctors we had have done over 60 National Tournaments. Rick Allen, Julie Johnson, Woody Smith, Nels Oneal, and Carl Horstman. I believe Julie Johnson has been or is presently on the National staff. She was one of the Umpires at the Atlanta Olympics. Indiana may do things a little differently than other states, the National Instructors came in earlier this year for our one day clinics.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Joel,

When I'm having zone problems, I make sure to setup with my line of sight at top inside corner of the zone, then look for a visual reference for the lower outside, usually the catcher's knee. Then I visualize a window frame around that box. If the ball breaks the window it's a strike.

As far as concentration goes, a question: Do you use a clicker to count balls and strikes? If you do, and you find you're concentration waning in a blowout, try sticking your clicker in your pocket and do the inning without it. You'll be surprized at how much your concentration picks up. (Of course if you don't use a clicker, this won't help. )

-- Sam
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Joel, When I find my self being a little uncomfortable behind the plate,I usually slow my timing down.I make sure to track the pitch all the way into the catchers mitt,PAUSE,then make my call.For the most part when stuggling with pitches,it is a result of getting "too fast"with your timing.Also I like to concentrate on each pitch as being "the most important play in the game".That helps me focus on the pitch and not think of the lobsided score.This method also can be applied on the bases.Take your time to read the play,replay it in your mind,PAUSE,and sell your call.I hope these tips I use are of help to you.Good luck with your umpiring. Jeff
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Joel,
Sounds like Mo & others are right - with me it's usually some outside distraction that affects concentration & timing. Treat it like a batter in a slump - go back to the fundamentals. Games like this come now & then. I don't think I've ever had one of these "off" games where I ever got to be sure that I was "on" in that game - even though I've slowed things down and really thought about proper mechanics & all. Later on, at home, do some work in front of that full-length mirror.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your thoughts guys.........

Concentration was not my strong suit last night I guess (see leaving my wallet comment)......I will definitely concentrate on timing if I catch myself drifting again.

I hate to not give a struggling pitcher my full attention......they deserve that outside corner just as much as the pitcher who is in the groove.

New wide stance is working well........no more sore muscles after the first few games.

My 9yo plays at 7:30........so I get to be just a Dad tonight.

Thanks again guys.

Joel