Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Insurance Claims

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
Speaking ASA

If you're working ASA ball (legally), then you should be covered by ASA's insurance policy. Something tells me that there's some clause or phrase in that policy that justifies their payout only if you're wearing the proper equipment (i.e.: shin guards, chest protectors, etc.). If you're not properly equipped, and get hurt, they won't pay out...

Anyone had experience with this concept?
While not an unreasonable concept, two things wrong.

1) ASA insurance covers the umpires if assigned an ASA game with two ASA registered teams by an approved ASA assignor. No exclusion for equipment.

2) According to the ASA rulebook, the only required equipment in fastpitch is a black mask with throat protector. Nothing else is added by the umpire manual. How could they exclude coverage when the equipment isn't required?

By the way, both NFHS and NCAA rulebooks also only require masks with throat protectors. NFHS also "recommends" a chest protector, but never even mentions shin guards or a cup. NCAA says (15-1.d) "It is strongly recommended that all umpires wear appropriate protective equipment." Even the NCAA Umpire Manual written within the past three years only lists the mask, a brush and an indicator as required equipment. It lists a chest protector and shin guards as optional equipment, in the same category as a lineup holder and sunglasses. Given the nature of other personal preferences stated so strongly by the authors, there must be some overwhelming reason why it isn't stated differently.

Hardly a requirement, and not even a ringing endorsement, let alone "properly equipped".

By the way, Josh, I was unreasonably harsh in my initial reaction to being called stupid; I apologize, and recognize and appreciate your restatement. While I should have thicker skin, and while I endorse and recommend anyone (else) to wear a chest protector, I believe that I have the right to make a decision for myself regarding "optional equipment".

[Edited by AtlUmpSteve on Jul 26th, 2005 at 03:08 PM]
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Insurance Claims

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
Speaking ASA

If you're working ASA ball (legally), then you should be covered by ASA's insurance policy. Something tells me that there's some clause or phrase in that policy that justifies their payout only if you're wearing the proper equipment (i.e.: shin guards, chest protectors, etc.). If you're not properly equipped, and get hurt, they won't pay out...

Anyone had experience with this concept?
While not an unreasonable concept, two things wrong.

1) ASA insurance covers the umpires if assigned an ASA game with two ASA registered teams by an approved ASA assignor. No exclusion for equipment.

2) According to the ASA rulebook, the only required equipment in fastpitch is a black mask with throat protector. Nothing else is added by the umpire manual. How could they exclude coverage when the equipment isn't required?

By the way, both NFHS and NCAA rulebooks also only require masks with throat protectors. NFHS also "recommends" a chest protector, but never even mentions shin guards or a cup. NCAA says (15-1.d) "It is strongly recommended that all umpires wear appropriate protective equipment." Even the NCAA Umpire Manual written within the past three years only lists the mask, a brush and an indicator as required equipment. It lists a chest protector and shin guards as optional equipment, in the same category as a lineup holder and sunglasses. Given the nature of other personal preferences stated so strongly by the authors, there must be some overwhelming reason why it isn't stated differently.

Hardly a requirement, and not even a ringing endorsement, let alone "properly equipped".

By the way, Josh, I was unreasonably harsh in my initial reaction to being called stupid; I apologize, and recognize and appreciate your restatement. While I should have thicker skin, and while I endorse and recommend anyone (else) to wear a chest protector, I believe that I have the right to make a decision for myself regarding "optional equipment".

[Edited by AtlUmpSteve on Jul 26th, 2005 at 03:08 PM]
If all you said is true, then that's what I was looking for...
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Larry...

I emailed you a couple of weeks ago and have yet to hear back from you. Have you checked your email. I had an equipment question for you.

Scott

know this is changing the subject (is this "hijacking a thread?"), but is the new Schutt protector available? I saw it at last years 18 gold, but didn't get to try it out. Would be interested in purchasing one.

Again, forgive me for changing the subject.

Thanks,
Serg

Sorry to hijack. Please forgive me.

Scott - I changed my email address and just updated it. Please try again.

Serg. If you will email me, I will let you know how to get the Schutt vest.

Larry

Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

I wear all the gear, all the time.

I work in the same heat as Darell does.

There are some guys here in Phoenix that choose not to wear the chest protector...their decision, their risk. I choose not to take that risk.

I tried doing some games without the chest protector a few years ago and found that I was more concerned with avoiding possible wild pitches and foul balls than with staying strong in the slot to call the pitch. For me, wearing the protector gives me the confidence to stay in position in the slot to properly call the pitch.

I have also heard from a doctor that it only takes about 35 pounds of pressure to snap the collarbone, and a foul ball straight back off the bat is carrying approx 100 pounds of pressure...I don't like that math!
Old Wed Jul 27, 2005, 06:20pm
In Time Out

Exclamation No gear?!

I've read this thread, and others in the past on the same subject. I am TOTALLY befuddled by this.

In this area, working High School / 18U & down, I have only ever seen 1 ump without gear behind the plate in a fast pitch game. (He is a tough old bird that appears to be built of steel bands & rawhide, and is also an exception to several laws of nature.) Even the parents doing entry level LL minors all have something!

What has happened several times are experienced umps, even wearing baseball-grade gear, still getting broken bones and other serious injuries from hard hits on the gear. A 60-70 mph softball fouled off a high-tech bat CAN be a literal cannon ball!

I fully respect the right of some to choose to not wear gear when not required. But, with all due respect, in this day and age, it is beyond my comprehension how anyone could rationalize not using at least "industry standard" safety gear.

This is like some "adults"(?) choosing to not wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle, just because the law doesn't require it in some states.

I am also a medically trained responder, and have seen what can happen WITH SAFETY GEAR IN PLACE, as well as not.

As society, and all us insurance paying members, will get to pay at least part of the bill for avoidable injuries that someone has the "right" to self-inflict, I think the days of "no gear" need to go the way of the days of "no seat belts".
Old Sun Jul 31, 2005, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Chest protectors? I have always worn all my gear -- except once. I was doing a State tourney at the 10U level. I took a foul ball in the chest and that was the last time I went without all the gear.

The best way I beat the heat when it's really hot is just keep drinking water. Every once in a while when I'm on the plate I just about finish a bottle and pour the rest of it on my neck and it dribbles on down. Feels pretty good and it keeps me going. I usually go through 4 or 5 bottles of water a game when it's really hot.
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MDblue
Chest protectors? I have always worn all my gear -- except once. I was doing a State tourney at the 10U level. I took a foul ball in the chest and that was the last time I went without all the gear.

The best way I beat the heat when it's really hot is just keep drinking water. Every once in a while when I'm on the plate I just about finish a bottle and pour the rest of it on my neck and it dribbles on down. Feels pretty good and it keeps me going. I usually go through 4 or 5 bottles of water a game when it's really hot.
Is that it? I downed 4 in a 50 minute slow-pitch game this weekend...my first SP in over 4 years!
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

FUblue --- You drank so much doing SP for 2 reasons -- 1) You haven't umpired in 5 weeks and 2) YOU SUCK!
Old Mon Aug 01, 2005, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Honig's K2

I spent the last week in Chattanooga working games. We had onfield temps of 115, 112, 105 on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Never once would I have thought of not wearing the CP. However, there are a couple things you can do to minimize the heat you have to suffer.

First, wear underarmor instead of cotton t-shirts. I bought some of the loose UA for this season and it is amazing.

Second, keep a second CP around for those hot tournaments. The Honig's K2 model comes to mind, and actually, I use it 100% of the time but I definately can see why some would be uncomfortable with it on a regular basis. It covers only the most important parts. It just sucks if you get hit in the gut (though I do have some natural padding there).