The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Watching the USA vs. JAPAN game, in the early part of the game (bottom of 1st, or 2nd maybe), there was what appeared to be a clear OBS non-call at home. The batter hit a ball over F8's head, and R1 went back to 2B for a possible tag-up. R1 then proceeded to home, but was tagged out by F2. It looked to me as if F2 blocked home, then made the catch and tag, but got the out anyway.

Anyone else see this play? what was your call?

This play was in the same half inning as the Galindo grand-slam (which was a NICE slap!)
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I thought the same thing, the catcher was basically sitting on top of home waiting for the ball. Now, the ball did arrive a second before the runner did, but she was definately blocking the plate before she got the ball.

By the way, was that the first base umpire that made the call? It wasn't the plate umpire but one of the base umpires that called the out. I've never worked three or four-person mechanics so I'm not quite sure how the rotation would have worked on that play.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Were they playing ISF or ASA rules???????
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
I thought the same thing, the catcher was basically sitting on top of home waiting for the ball. Now, the ball did arrive a second before the runner did, but she was definately blocking the plate before she got the ball.
The runner was not impeded by a a defender without the ball. I thought it was close, but a good play.
Quote:

By the way, was that the first base umpire that made the call? It wasn't the plate umpire but one of the base umpires that called the out. I've never worked three or four-person mechanics so I'm not quite sure how the rotation would have worked on that play.
U3 went out on the fly ball. U4 comes inside to take 2B and a possible throw-back to 1B. U1 moves toward 3B for a possible call there and U2 heads home after U4 gets inside to pick-up the BR.

Routine rotation.