The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

gsf23 - I was there when that first went in. It took some learning curve, but I think made the game better. As I ump now in the Chicago suburbs, some leagues have the rule and others don't. I will let anything not directed at me or the opposition go, even for leagues with the rule unless I deem it can be heard by the fans. I tend not to have 'rabbit ears', so it has to be blatant. But just the threat of being ejected is often enough to keep the players from using profanity, they realize it can happen. I have had a few use a questionable word, then turn to me and apologize. I wasn't going to throw them out, but I usually just say to not let it happen again and consider this your warning and smile. I think this keeps with the intent of the rule. It isn't so much to make us 'language police', but to try to keep the game spectator and player friendly.

JMHO
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to coachsara Send a message via Yahoo to coachsara
I agree with you on that. I've been guilty of it myself as a player if I screwed up and popped a ball to the short stop or something embarassing like that...I've said a word or two.

In adult ball, I ignore it for the most part.

I still believe though, in youth organizations there should be no tolerance-whether it was directed at someone or not-whether it comes from a coach or player. Like it was said before, they hear worse walking down the hallways at school. I'm not going to be the one that turns a deaf ear to it. To me its a respect thing...for everyone involved.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I should have said I only do adult leagues....so it would be different if I did youth.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
gsf23 - I was there when that first went in. It took some learning curve, but I think made the game better. As I ump now in the Chicago suburbs, some leagues have the rule and others don't. I will let anything not directed at me or the opposition go, even for leagues with the rule unless I deem it can be heard by the fans. I tend not to have 'rabbit ears', so it has to be blatant. But just the threat of being ejected is often enough to keep the players from using profanity, they realize it can happen. I have had a few use a questionable word, then turn to me and apologize. I wasn't going to throw them out, but I usually just say to not let it happen again and consider this your warning and smile. I think this keeps with the intent of the rule. It isn't so much to make us 'language police', but to try to keep the game spectator and player friendly.

JMHO
Most players here have learned that if you are going to let one fly, to do it quietly. I'm the same way, if it's not going to be heard by the spectators, then I will just tell the player to watch it and move on.

The last time I called it: a team of high school kids were playing one of the better teams in our league. The kids hadn't one a game all year but were hanging tough. Bottom of the seventh, one of the kids hits a two-run bomb to pull them to within one with two outs. As they are walking into the dugout after the hi-fives, one of the kids yells out, "about f$$cking time you did someting" and I mean yells it loud.

I call time, announce I have casual profanity on the dugout, point to the batter, say you are out, that's ballgame. Then the parents that were watching the game all starting to applaud and after the game I got about five thank-yous for calling it. It sticks out cause I've never had the fans of a losing team, and especially parents of the players, thank me for making a call that ended the game.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Two separate issues. USC at an umpire or opposing player is USC regardless of the language. "I'm going to kick your F$@%$ing @$$" and "I'm going to beat you senseless," will both get you ejected.

My point is that senseless "profanity" not directed at anyone harms no one. Why penalize it? Why set up the umpire to be the profanity police without giving firm direction as to what is profanity? I can easily see one umpire letting $hit go, but another one ejecting for "Crap!" What is the purpose of such a rule? And why is your league "better" for not having the contestants utter certain words? Silly, really.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Regional differences vary widely on what is acceptable public behavior. There could never (IMO) be a successful implementation of a casual profanity rule on a national basis for this reason. But, it can work well locally (and does here in MN).

For those interested, here is the written rule in force in MN ASA ball:
Quote:
40. Casual Profanity Family Atmosphere Rule
Casual profanity pertains to expletives not directed at umpires or opposing players, but uttered by a player, manager/coach frustrated with themselves, a teammate or fan.

Examples include: A player/coach/manager swearing after a pop out, strike out, boot of a ball, or at a belligerent fan.

This type of "casual" profanity is penalized by "outs" being declared against the offending team.

Penalty
If the offending team is at bat and profanity is used, the player is out unless the result of the play is an out in which case the next batter will be declared out.

If the offending team is in the field, the first player(s) to bat in their half of the inning will be declared out.

It is possible for a team to come to bat with one or more outs already recorded or lose their at bat altogether.
Outs will be treated as Delayed Dead Ball situations which means all play stands except for the batter/runner.

Play:
Batter/runner hits a homerun (or base clearing hit) with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the ninth and is ruled out (delayed dead ball) for profanity.
Result: The three runners on base score, batter/runner is ruled out and the homerun does not count.

NOTE: Profanity directed at opposing players or umpires must always be penalized by ejection (an out is not declared).

Rationale
The “Casual Profanity Rule” provides a lesser penalty for the grey area between accepted conduct and those situations where the offender must be ejected. This rule is meant to sensitize players and discourage them from using words that are considered offensive/obscene.
I'm sure this very idea seems incredibly quaint to many of you. But, it works fine here.
Old Mon Jul 18, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
My point is that senseless "profanity" not directed at anyone harms no one. Why penalize it? Why set up the umpire to be the profanity police without giving firm direction as to what is profanity? I can easily see one umpire letting $hit go, but another one ejecting for "Crap!" What is the purpose of such a rule? And why is your league "better" for not having the contestants utter certain words? Silly, really.
Again, you guys aren't getting that no one is getting EJECTED for anything. An out is being called, nothing more. Also, umpires here are not going to call outs for saying crap, or damn, or god or anything like that. If they did, they wouldn't be working anymore. As far as an umpire letting it go, it's just like any other rule, it's only going to work if everyone is enforcing it. If an umpire does not want to enforce it, then they don't work.

Like was said before, it is a regional thing. Around here, that kind of behavior isn't acceptable. In your area, maybe it is, if so, then you have no use for the rule.