View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

#1 I'm watching a tournament game today and this situation comes up. Now, I have friends on both teams, so these are the facts. I have no dog in this fight.

ASA rules. Player gets up to bat and half swings, down on the ball in an obvious "bunt" play and easily beats out the throw to first base. This guy can fly.

Umps get together and can't agree on the rule (they got away from everyone, but just so happened to be in front of where I was sitting). One says it has to be a full swing. The other says if he breaks his wrist.

Does anyone know the answer? And can you please list the rule too?

=--------------------------

#2 Same tournament, different game. Ground ball to the second baseman and he throws the batter out at first base. The only thing, the first baseman pulls his foot....it is obvious (went to school with the home plate ump and he confirmed that after the game).

The first baseman pulled his foot almost a whole foot off the bag, but the field ump was close to the second baseman and could not see the pulled foot.

The team batting asks to appeal the play, but the field ump will not allow an appeal. Is this normal? Is it in the rules that an ump doesn't have to allow an appeal?

Never seen this before and just wondering. Thanks for any input.