The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Hey Jel,

Buddy, I have been umpiring the Jr. girls tourney this weekend. Your girls from Troup are great. They lost the first game on thursday against Chatham cty, they played yesterday in the loser bracket, they beat winfield to advance to another round, yesterday day was kind of funny, this weather is killing us. rain, thunder, lighting. I had to stop the game twice til the rain stop or slowdown a little. They are now playing the augusta allstar in the loser bracket, win or go home now for both teams. The score is 2-0 Augusta Allstar are up in the top of the first before mothernature did it again, have to postpond it till 10 this morning.

I just wanted to update you on your girls. I was behind the plate when they played and won against winfield cty. The girls are great and funny to listen to them talk up a storm..

update you later.

Ed

championship round will be

Chatham cty

vs

Augusta Allstars / Troup Cty Fuison

[Edited by buddha69 on Jul 16th, 2005 at 08:46 PM]
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Which age group is there?

Oh Yeah Ed, Don't want to hear about any "Home Cooking"!!!
Old Sat Jul 16, 2005, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Which age group is there?

Oh Yeah Ed, Don't want to hear about any "Home Cooking"!!!
14 under.

no home cooking!!!

The Troup girls fought out a good battle against the Augusta Allstars. It went 8 innings had to use the International run rule.

Augusta went up in the top of the 8th. 12-11.

Troup came up to bat with a girl hitting it to the out field the runner on 2nd scored 12-12. The batter runner got a triple. The next batter got on base, stole 2nd, next batter got walk, now bases are loaded. Next batter hit the ball to the outfield. R1 scored. 13-12 Ball game.

Troup Cty advanced to the final.

Chatham Cty vs Troup Cty.

The girls of Chatham Cty won. By run rule in the top of 3rd
18-4.

Sorry Buddy!!!

The Chatham Cty girls came out strong!!!!!

1st - Chatham Cty
2nd - Troup Cty
3rd - Augusta Allstar
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Yeah..........Chatham did come out strong. They were an older group and seven of the players were on the team that placed third in last year's 14U GRPA state tournament.

Umpires did a great job and Troup had a great team! Missed that lookback call though. When a pitcher has the discipline to stay on the rubber and stare back the runner, IMO she deserves the call.
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Which pitcher should have got the LB?

The girl from Troup (the main pitcher, probably pitched most of the time) has really come along this year. Barely 13, she can throw HARD! She beaned quite a few last season, umpires included! but she has done real well with control this year. She really also has a pleasant personality, never seems to act upset with the strike zone etc. Wish they had won, but they did do well. I do hope they ( Troup Co.) gave a good impression of sportsmanship (I'm sure they did). We try and help teach that as umpires in our rec program, but there are a couple of fiesty girls on that team!!

Our 12U's will be going to Grffin this w/e, hope the best for them. We also will be hosting and calling the 10U thursday-saturday. Is Chatam sending a 10U team?
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

LB was in the first Troup/Chatham game. Troup runner walked, made the turn, took 3 steps to 2nd, then back to 1st.

Troup's team were great sports! These things run in cycles and they should have a good shot next year. The new pitching rule (Pitch 8, rest 4) caught up with them. It was confusing the entire tourney. Apparently, it's in 12 inning increments and a pitcher could rest 4, pitch 16 and then rest 4 and still be within the rule.

Chatham is sending a good group to the 12's, but no 10's this year.

Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

huh?

Wasn't there, but from what rharrell describes i see no violation of the LBR. The runner rounded first, stopped, then headed back to first. From your description it sounds like she made her 1 stop, then immediately proceeded to first base without stoopping. Maybe something was left out, but from the described, i don't see a violation.

-Josh
Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
Wasn't there, but from what rharrell describes i see no violation of the LBR. The runner rounded first, stopped, then headed back to first. From your description it sounds like she made her 1 stop, then immediately proceeded to first base without stoopping. Maybe something was left out, but from the described, i don't see a violation.

-Josh
Yeah, I don't see that as a violation either, though it could have been if there was a nother pause or stop. We have tried to teach 'em better!

rharrell,

I have heard rumors of the pitching restrictions this year, but haven't had definite confirmation yet. I've heard it from one of the 12U girls who stays at the wife's day care. As an umpire I don't care one way or the other, but I know that hurts our 14U, and 12U's also. Thanks for informing me of it's use in Augusta. We will need to check it tommorrow.

Old Wed Jul 20, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Runner stopped, but did not immediately return. It was a stare down with the pitcher and the runner was trying to entice the pitcher to attempt a play. Pticher didn't and IMO should have gotten the call.
Old Sat Jul 23, 2005, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue

-Josh
Yeah, I don't see that as a violation either, though it could have been if there was a nother pause or stop. We have tried to teach 'em better!

rharrell,

I have heard rumors of the pitching restrictions this year, but haven't had definite confirmation yet. I've heard it from one of the 12U girls who stays at the wife's day care. As an umpire I don't care one way or the other, but I know that hurts our 14U, and 12U's also. Thanks for informing me of it's use in Augusta. We will need to check it tommorrow.

No, Buddy you don't have to check with us. I didn't see it as a violation either. My partner said the same thing..

Now about the innings pitch by pitchers, They (coaches) tried to get information about how many innings the other team had pitch. All I could say is "Coach if you stayed and watch the game you know how many innings she had pitch."

I can not give that information out. Sorry.
Old Mon Jul 25, 2005, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Ed,

The "innings pitched regs" being new this year caused quite a bit of confusion. The interpretation of the ruling seemed to be different in all three locations, as well as the "official" GRPA interps. I know some teams were relying on one pitcher to carry the entire load, which may not be a good idea but possibly was the only choice of some teams. Some of the teams playing here said the ruling at the LaGrange tourney was different from the qualifiers they played. I think the ruling needs more thought, and really needs to be dropped. No need for inning limits in FP IMO.

The umpires though only report the pitching changes, any rulings on eligible pitchers had to come from the scorekeepers and TD. Our TD keep a tally and told all to come and verify at any time if they wished.

Antway, the 10U was a fun tourney. Friday nights game concluded at 1:30 a.m. sat, and the winners had to play again at 8:00 a.m. The talent level of the final two teams was much better than last year, and very evenly matched. Lead changes back and forth, pushed the "if" game, and even sent it into ITB. Both teams were great, but Troup came out on top.

On to the Nationals.....
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

JEL,

I understand the logic behind the pitching rule. Encourage coaches to bring more than 1 pitcher and avoid overworking a single pitcher. At the 14's, TD's were not initially keeping a tally which added to the confusion. Then, since they would only give coaches info on their pitchers, it was treated like a "discovery" issue.

Any idea who won the 12's?
Old Tue Jul 26, 2005, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

While I understand the reasoning behind the pitching regs, I still don't agree with them. But if they are used thats fine.

Our TD told all coaches they could view the pitching charts at any time for their team, or the opponents. Doan't see why they should not be allowed.

Not sure who took the 12's.