The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chiquita
Please tell me what your call is, and how you make the call. (For example: call the runner out and say "interference", or call the runner safe, call time and then call the runner out and say "interference")

SITUATION 1: John is on first base. Peter is the Batter and hits a grounder toward third base. The 2nd Baseman covers 2nd (not on the base, but just touching the edge with his foot) to take the throw from the shortstop. The throw is on time, and John is out. John does not slide and runs into the 2nd basemen. The 2nd basemen was going to make a throw to 1st before being run over.

SITUATION 2: John is the batter, no one on. John hits a line drive to deep left field. The 2nd baseman is standing ON 2nd, the throw is on the way. John does not slide and runs into the 2nd basemen at the same time the ball arrives.
Ball is dropped by 2nd basemen, and picked up by pitcher.

Thanks in advance for you input.

Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Dunno what trip-S says. ASA's pretty clear.

Sitch #1: Runner John is out for INT (ASA 8.7.Q). No grey area here. The ball is dead at the time of interference. I kill the ball with "DEAD BALL, INTERFERENCE, RUNNER OUT".

Sitch #2: 8.7.Q says "...when the defensive player has the ball." Your scenario paints the ball arriving at the same time. This is close enough for me to rule INT ... the throw is not errant. I call the same thing as above: DEAD BALL, INT, BATTER-RUNNER OUT.

The crash rule is there for a reason: ASA doesn't want defenders carried off the field on stretchers. I understand trip-S is a little looser with its rules; but I can't imagine a sanctioning body not doing things to reduce injury situations (well, short of MLB )

In both of these situations, you also need to rule on whether or not the crash was flagrant. If so, the offender gets ejected. From what you painted, #1 sounds flagrant to me. #2 is questionable.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chiquita
IN SITUATION #1, IS THE BATTER ALSO OUT? This is were I get confused. IF THE RUNNER IS OUT (BECAUSE THE THROW BEAT HIM)ANYWAY, WHAT IS THE PENALTY UNLESS THE BATTER IS ALSO OUT?
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

My bad. I missed the BR in #1 ... I was focused on the play at 2B. Yeah, Peter (BR) is out if he's closest to home plate after the INT out. POE #14(C) says so. But not under 8.7.Q, rather 8.7.P.

Sorry. Rookie mistake. I'll get better