View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 11, 2005, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UmpireErnie
No ball bag? What do they do with the spare softballs??

Just lay them on the ground by the backstop (could be a real mess on an overthrow to the catcher)

Re shorts: ASA properties (not plugging; just informing) sells shorts that together with the short white socks with ASA logos and the black shoes looks just fine. They also have some long over-the-calf socks with blue trim and ASA lettering but personally I don't like the look of those.

Thanks I'll check that out.

Re shoddy looking umpires, poor mechanics, poor rules knowledge: Part of the problem can be a supply and demand situation. I know we struggle here to get enough people to cover the feilds and all too often have to do one-man in slow pitch even though our association's contract with the leagues calls for two-man whenever possible. The by-product of this situation is that there will be people who know how desprate we are for umpires and they can skip the clinics, not worry too much about uniforms, not study the rules, and still get assignments. Probably won't get the best games in town, but as I once heard one of these officials say: "They all pay the same!". Sigh!
AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!!!!