The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

I've been studying ASA's Rule 6 for illegal pitches lately, and had some field experiences that raised some questions in my mind. In all cases, assume you're the BU.

1) You notice a leap. You give the DDB signal and say "illegal". The PU calls a strike on the pitch (batter didn't swing). What's the propper mechanic from this point on? Do you, as BU, call Dead Ball, and essentially reverse the PU's called strike?

1a) What if that called strike was strike 3?

2) Same as #1 except PU calls a ball. Do you call dead ball and raise a fuss only to get a called ball changed to an IP? Is it worth even calling DB for?

3) You notice the leap, give the DDB, state "illegal". The BR pops it up to F7, who makes the catch. Assume B3 tags and makes it to 2B safely. When you then call time, and go to the offensive coach to see if he wants the "result of the play", should the PU join you in the conference?

All help and rule cites, POE's, mechanics, etc. would be helpful. Thanks!
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
I've been studying ASA's Rule 6 for illegal pitches lately, and had some field experiences that raised some questions in my mind. In all cases, assume you're the BU.

1) You notice a leap. You give the DDB signal and say "illegal". The PU calls a strike on the pitch (batter didn't swing). What's the propper mechanic from this point on? Do you, as BU, call Dead Ball, and essentially reverse the PU's called strike?

I walk out, declare "dead ball", and reiterate "illegal pitch". PU then adjusts the count and awards base advances as appropriate.

1a) What if that called strike was strike 3?

Same mechanic, same results.

2) Same as #1 except PU calls a ball. Do you call dead ball and raise a fuss only to get a called ball changed to an IP? Is it worth even calling DB for?

Same mechanic, same result. It is absolutely necessary to make sure pitcher knows you called the illegal pitch (and will continue to rule that way).

3) You notice the leap, give the DDB, state "illegal". The BR pops it up to F7, who makes the catch. Assume B3 tags and makes it to 2B safely. When you then call time, and go to the offensive coach to see if he wants the "result of the play", should the PU join you in the conference?

I (as BU) am not part of a conference. The PU announces the base awards resulting from the illegal pitch, and asks the offensive head coach if s/he prefers the result of the play. One announcement, one question, offensive coach makes the decision. No conference, and not handled by the BU, rather, the PU, "full charge of and be responsible for the proper conduct of the game (10-2.A)".

All help and rule cites, POE's, mechanics, etc. would be helpful. Thanks!
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

I agree completely with Steve. And have made the illegal pitch call in each of the four examples you cited.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Two wrongs may not "make a right", but Two Steve's gotta be correct!

Good answers guys!
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Except I think the calling umpire is responsible for administering the result(s) of any call.
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Except I think the calling umpire is responsible for administering the result(s) of any call.
That was kind of my question with #3... any other schools of thought here? Mike? Tom? John? Anyone?
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
That was kind of my question with #3... any other schools of thought here? Mike? Tom? John? Anyone?
The PU ruled on the pitch and is the one which would be required to make any correction of a reversal or delayed call (both apply to an IP) which may place the BR, R or defense in jeopardy.

10-6-C assigns any corrections which may place the B, R or defense in jeopardy.
Old Wed Jul 06, 2005, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

My thoughts on one thing

SRW,
Sorry it took so long. Been dealing with issues concerning my Austrian client and forgot about this thread. My bad.

As far as the administration, my opinion is that if there is any doubt in the PU's mind about what the BU has called, they should confer (away from the coaches, players, etc.).

Then the plate umpire - alone - asks the offended coach if they want the IP and resulting award or the play and its result. It is the sole responsibility of the PU to administer this.

That being said (and I can feel the piling on already), I believe the PU and BU should confer to make sure they are on the same page IF there is something sticky to the scenario. If for no other reason, to show teamwork and to let everyone know they are on the same page. This should NOT be a long conference. There should not be an arm placed on the shoulder, back or anywhere else of the other umpire(s), as it is generally perceived as negative body language.

IMHO I believe the more we can do to show that by gawd this is the correct call and we're together on this and we're all over it helps our cause. We are a team out there (even if you can't stand your partner, your partner is the only person on your side).