Thread: IP's again...
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
I've been studying ASA's Rule 6 for illegal pitches lately, and had some field experiences that raised some questions in my mind. In all cases, assume you're the BU.

1) You notice a leap. You give the DDB signal and say "illegal". The PU calls a strike on the pitch (batter didn't swing). What's the propper mechanic from this point on? Do you, as BU, call Dead Ball, and essentially reverse the PU's called strike?

I walk out, declare "dead ball", and reiterate "illegal pitch". PU then adjusts the count and awards base advances as appropriate.

1a) What if that called strike was strike 3?

Same mechanic, same results.

2) Same as #1 except PU calls a ball. Do you call dead ball and raise a fuss only to get a called ball changed to an IP? Is it worth even calling DB for?

Same mechanic, same result. It is absolutely necessary to make sure pitcher knows you called the illegal pitch (and will continue to rule that way).

3) You notice the leap, give the DDB, state "illegal". The BR pops it up to F7, who makes the catch. Assume B3 tags and makes it to 2B safely. When you then call time, and go to the offensive coach to see if he wants the "result of the play", should the PU join you in the conference?

I (as BU) am not part of a conference. The PU announces the base awards resulting from the illegal pitch, and asks the offensive head coach if s/he prefers the result of the play. One announcement, one question, offensive coach makes the decision. No conference, and not handled by the BU, rather, the PU, "full charge of and be responsible for the proper conduct of the game (10-2.A)".

All help and rule cites, POE's, mechanics, etc. would be helpful. Thanks!