The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

A runner took off from thrid and was headed home the ball was thrown to the catcher and put down a tag that was questionable but the runner did't slide and it was very close and there was a little contact involved shouldn't the runner be out. The umpire called the runner safe and after arguing with him he said that you dont have to slide to avoid contact. What should of the call been?
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bruce11
A runner took off from thrid and was headed home the ball was thrown to the catcher and put down a tag that was questionable but the runner did't slide and it was very close and there was a little contact involved shouldn't the runner be out. The umpire called the runner safe and after arguing with him he said that you dont have to slide to avoid contact. What should of the call been?
Sounds to me like the call was right. What you described wasn't a crash (there was a little contact, you said), and the tag was "questionable" (telling me the "little contact" didn't cause the catcher to drop the ball), and there is no rule requiring sliding, as the umpire correctly stated.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I should of mentioned this in my firts post but during the game the ump stated that he was going to call runners out if there was a close play and they didn't slide.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bruce11
I should of mentioned this in my firts post but during the game the ump stated that he was going to call runners out if there was a close play and they didn't slide.
That doesn't change the rule. An umpire may state that he will eject the next player to speak, but he isn't wrong if he doesn't eject a player or coach who speaks in a civil tone.

BTW, and please don't take this personally, but a just one of my personal issues is using "should of", when the correct word usage is "should have".
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by AtlUmpSteve
...when the correct word usage is ...
Welcome to the anal grammarian's club. Bluezebra, greymule, and I welcome you!