The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Channel-surfing today I came across the NCAA Baseball NCs and it reminded me of a question I once heard a member of the NUS ask.

When a strike is called, why does the umpire look to the right? Is the umpire checking to see if their right hand is still attached to the wrist? Has an umpire ever discovered their right hand missing after a strike call?
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

That's a good question. It's just habit I guess. I've called baseball as well as softball the past 4 years. This year, I switched to using the "hammer" strike signal which is made in front of you to stop myself from doing that. Reasoning behind it is I have worked a lot of games solo this year and more than once i found my self missing action because i was so used to turning as I make my call. It's actually a really bad habit in my opinion (but hey, I'm umpiring high school ball and they're doing the college world series, so who am i to talk )

-Josh
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 05:42am
VaASAump

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Channel-surfing today I came across the NCAA Baseball NCs and it reminded me of a question I once heard a member of the NUS ask.

When a strike is called, why does the umpire look to the right? Is the umpire checking to see if their right hand is still attached to the wrist? Has an umpire ever discovered their right hand missing after a strike call?
I realize you once heard an NUS member ask this question, but Mike:

Are you ACTUALLY asking a baseball question?? LOL

Serg
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I always thought they were turning toward the visitor's dugout, pointing at the manager as if to say, "That was a strike, screw you coach."

(Of course, if this were true, they'd have to point the other way when calling strikes against the home team, huh?)
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

It is the most ridiculous MLB mechanic ever adopted by the lower levels. I suppose with a 4+ crew, there is little risk, but in a single or even two umpire crew, using a mechanic that has the PU face away from the action during a live ball is just plain silly.

You even see in in the LLWS (both fast pitch and little ball).

I think it is used because they think it makes 'em look like the big boys. What it actually does is make them less effective umpires.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Another thing I see that even otherwise good umpires use is a big punch out on a called third strike. Even with runners on, they turn their whole body sideways and make an elaborate motion, losing sight of the entire field for a couple seconds. Very dramatic, but dumb.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
NCAA Baseball NCs

Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Hook 'em!!!
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
NCAA Baseball NCs

BTW, just how many countries participate in the tournament represented by the logo above?

Sorry, but I'm not arrogant enough to think that everything that happens in the U.S. is the best in the world.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ToledoCYOBlue
If it feels good, do it?

I got to experience exactly what Blue Ape mentioned...

I am BU. 1 out, no runners on. Pitcher throws a good breaking ball on the outside corner. Batter doesn't swing, PU goes up with the right hand, says "Strike!"....... then turns his body, hollers "Oooooouuuut!" and gives the old chain a good yank...

And of course he never saw the ball missed by the catcher go careening to the backstop. The runner took off, but when he screamed "Out!", she stopped. Catcher stayed with the play, and threw to first in time. PU finally realizes what happened, we conference, and award B-R first as she was placed in jeopardy by the incorrect "out" call. Defensive coach (understandably) wants to have a little chat with my partner.

I've learned many things the hard way...glad this one was my partner.

Charlie
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
This reminds me that I've wondered why college umpires signal strikes with an uppercut punch move in front of them, while most of us use a hammer that starts straight up from the shoulder. Theirs looks more aggressive and negative to me.