The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Check the weather report beforehand...

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
If you know it's gonna be hot on your tournament days, start hydrating yourself about 3 days ahead of time. For hot days, I use the following schedule:

3 days before: 1/2 gallon of water
2 days before: 1/2 to 3/4 gallon
1 day before: 3/4 to 1 gallon. No alcoholic drinks.

Thanks, thats the type of stuff I am looking for. I always have water out there with me but I was looking for some tricks other then just more water and gatorade.

I used to be able to handle heat with no problems, I guess I am just getting fatter and older. Was thinking about heading down to SC in a month to work for a week straight but I'm just not sure. I am so out of shape for these hot summer weekends. I worked 12 total this weekend and that last plate game was just terrible. It was still very passable and I'm sure the common person didn't think anything of it, but personally I know it wasn't even close to what I expect from myself out there.

Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
I didn't used to think that Underamor shirts could possibly actually work to help keep you cool. I went out and spent the 20 bucks on one before the beginning of the summer just to try out a little bit. -Josh
Wal-Mart sell dry-wear from Starter. 9 buck and it works as good as the name brand.

Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
For those who get Poland Spring in their area,they make a 'baby' 8 oz. bottle that fits very nicely with your extra ball in the old ASA ball bag with the elastic (keeps the ball cool too!).
An old whiskey flask would fit better. You could even keep it in your back pocket!
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Check the weather report beforehand...

Quote:
Originally posted by Blu_IN
Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
If you know it's gonna be hot on your tournament days, start hydrating yourself about 3 days ahead of time. For hot days, I use the following schedule:

3 days before: 1/2 gallon of water
2 days before: 1/2 to 3/4 gallon
1 day before: 3/4 to 1 gallon. No alcoholic drinks.

Thanks, thats the type of stuff I am looking for. I always have water out there with me but I was looking for some tricks other then just more water and gatorade.

I used to be able to handle heat with no problems, I guess I am just getting fatter and older. Was thinking about heading down to SC in a month to work for a week straight but I'm just not sure. I am so out of shape for these hot summer weekends. I worked 12 total this weekend and that last plate game was just terrible. It was still very passable and I'm sure the common person didn't think anything of it, but personally I know it wasn't even close to what I expect from myself out there.

Blu_IN:
Just remember: "Hot" to me up here in Seattle is 65+ and overcast. Also, I'm a skinny guy compared to a lot of you (I'm 160# )so you may need to adjust the levels up for your body size and the weekend temperature.

Another thing I could recommend is daily cardio work. Take a fast walk around your block after dinner or something to get your body moving and heart rate pumping.

Also, stretch out... not just game day, but all the time. When you're at the office, home, wherever: stretch every hour... push a wall, flex the quads, toes on stairs, etc. It'll help your overall stamina when you're working those 8-12 game weekends.

Disclaimer: I'm a civil engineer, not a physical trainer.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
For those who get Poland Spring in their area,they make a 'baby' 8 oz. bottle that fits very nicely with your extra ball in the old ASA ball bag with the elastic (keeps the ball cool too!). Two or three of those during innings,plus water & G-ade inbetween....on the bases frozen bottles by the fence..anyone ever try to FREEZE G-ade? I remember actually trying that once...thats when I found out that G-ade may be liquid...but sure aint water...
Water does not need to be cold to be effective. Sure it is easier to drink, but you are not in a beach chair. Even warm water consumed in large quantities will keep your internal cooling system working.

Don't just take sips throughout the game/day. Can you say chug-a-lug?

Just this past Saturday here in Georgia, during my third game of the day and second game behind the plate back-to-back, one of the parents commented how I didn't look hot. It was hot. I told him he didn't look so hot himself...(thank Yogi)
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

I've found that if I "chug-a-lug", I get cramps. Small drinks every 10 minutes or so seems to work better for me. Of course... your mileage may vary.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I've found that if I "chug-a-lug", I get cramps. Small drinks every 10 minutes or so seems to work better for me. Of course... your mileage may vary.
Fair enough, my point is to drink as much as you can as quickly as you can and still be comfortable. It's water in the belly, not going down the throat that will keep you on your feet.

Speaking of mileage...make sure you know where the nearest rest rooms are...
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo

Speaking of mileage...make sure you know where the nearest rest rooms are...
This is how I know if I am drinking enough...If I don't have to pee...I'm not drinking enough!
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

"This is how I know if I am drinking enough...If I don't have to pee...I'm not drinking enough!"

yup, there's another one - what he said.
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

UA shirts rule........They are worth every penny the Mrs. and I have spent on them.

FU....No BEER!!!!!!!!! I guess we won't be working any more then
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Food for thought: there was an article posted on this board recently but I don't know which sport it was under about over-hydrating and it's effects on thinning your blood.
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
over-hydrating
Isn't that called drowning?
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Food for thought: there was an article posted on this board recently but I don't know which sport it was under about over-hydrating and it's effects on thinning your blood.
Twas another board; http://eteamz.active.com/fastpitch/b...cfm?id=1329595

Here is link to article;

http://www.momsteam.com/alpha/featur...idelines.shtml
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Quote:
Twas another board; http://eteamz.active.com/fastpitch/b...cfm?id=1329595

Here is link to article;

http://www.momsteam.com/alpha/featur...idelines.shtml
Please don't confuse me with someone who goes to eteams.
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

I go to eteamz, I can use the comic relief from the posters in there.