The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 77
Re: Check the weather report beforehand...

Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
If you know it's gonna be hot on your tournament days, start hydrating yourself about 3 days ahead of time. For hot days, I use the following schedule:

3 days before: 1/2 gallon of water
2 days before: 1/2 to 3/4 gallon
1 day before: 3/4 to 1 gallon. No alcoholic drinks.

Thanks, thats the type of stuff I am looking for. I always have water out there with me but I was looking for some tricks other then just more water and gatorade.

I used to be able to handle heat with no problems, I guess I am just getting fatter and older. Was thinking about heading down to SC in a month to work for a week straight but I'm just not sure. I am so out of shape for these hot summer weekends. I worked 12 total this weekend and that last plate game was just terrible. It was still very passable and I'm sure the common person didn't think anything of it, but personally I know it wasn't even close to what I expect from myself out there.

__________________
Blu
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
I didn't used to think that Underamor shirts could possibly actually work to help keep you cool. I went out and spent the 20 bucks on one before the beginning of the summer just to try out a little bit. -Josh
Wal-Mart sell dry-wear from Starter. 9 buck and it works as good as the name brand.

Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 8,154
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
For those who get Poland Spring in their area,they make a 'baby' 8 oz. bottle that fits very nicely with your extra ball in the old ASA ball bag with the elastic (keeps the ball cool too!).
An old whiskey flask would fit better. You could even keep it in your back pocket!
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:43am
SRW SRW is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 1,342
Re: Re: Check the weather report beforehand...

Quote:
Originally posted by Blu_IN
Quote:
Originally posted by SRW
If you know it's gonna be hot on your tournament days, start hydrating yourself about 3 days ahead of time. For hot days, I use the following schedule:

3 days before: 1/2 gallon of water
2 days before: 1/2 to 3/4 gallon
1 day before: 3/4 to 1 gallon. No alcoholic drinks.

Thanks, thats the type of stuff I am looking for. I always have water out there with me but I was looking for some tricks other then just more water and gatorade.

I used to be able to handle heat with no problems, I guess I am just getting fatter and older. Was thinking about heading down to SC in a month to work for a week straight but I'm just not sure. I am so out of shape for these hot summer weekends. I worked 12 total this weekend and that last plate game was just terrible. It was still very passable and I'm sure the common person didn't think anything of it, but personally I know it wasn't even close to what I expect from myself out there.

Blu_IN:
Just remember: "Hot" to me up here in Seattle is 65+ and overcast. Also, I'm a skinny guy compared to a lot of you (I'm 160# )so you may need to adjust the levels up for your body size and the weekend temperature.

Another thing I could recommend is daily cardio work. Take a fast walk around your block after dinner or something to get your body moving and heart rate pumping.

Also, stretch out... not just game day, but all the time. When you're at the office, home, wherever: stretch every hour... push a wall, flex the quads, toes on stairs, etc. It'll help your overall stamina when you're working those 8-12 game weekends.

Disclaimer: I'm a civil engineer, not a physical trainer.
__________________
We see with our eyes. Fans and parents see with their hearts.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
For those who get Poland Spring in their area,they make a 'baby' 8 oz. bottle that fits very nicely with your extra ball in the old ASA ball bag with the elastic (keeps the ball cool too!). Two or three of those during innings,plus water & G-ade inbetween....on the bases frozen bottles by the fence..anyone ever try to FREEZE G-ade? I remember actually trying that once...thats when I found out that G-ade may be liquid...but sure aint water...
Water does not need to be cold to be effective. Sure it is easier to drink, but you are not in a beach chair. Even warm water consumed in large quantities will keep your internal cooling system working.

Don't just take sips throughout the game/day. Can you say chug-a-lug?

Just this past Saturday here in Georgia, during my third game of the day and second game behind the plate back-to-back, one of the parents commented how I didn't look hot. It was hot. I told him he didn't look so hot himself...(thank Yogi)
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 09:49am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Little Elm, TX (NW Dallas)
Posts: 4,047
I've found that if I "chug-a-lug", I get cramps. Small drinks every 10 minutes or so seems to work better for me. Of course... your mileage may vary.
__________________
"Many baseball fans look upon an umpire as a sort of necessary evil to the luxury of baseball, like the odor that follows an automobile." - Hall of Fame Pitcher Christy Mathewson
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 859
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
I've found that if I "chug-a-lug", I get cramps. Small drinks every 10 minutes or so seems to work better for me. Of course... your mileage may vary.
Fair enough, my point is to drink as much as you can as quickly as you can and still be comfortable. It's water in the belly, not going down the throat that will keep you on your feet.

Speaking of mileage...make sure you know where the nearest rest rooms are...
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally posted by tcannizzo

Speaking of mileage...make sure you know where the nearest rest rooms are...
This is how I know if I am drinking enough...If I don't have to pee...I'm not drinking enough!
__________________
It's what you learn after you think you know it all that's important!
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: north central Pa
Posts: 2,360
"This is how I know if I am drinking enough...If I don't have to pee...I'm not drinking enough!"

yup, there's another one - what he said.
__________________
Steve M
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 298
UA shirts rule........They are worth every penny the Mrs. and I have spent on them.

FU....No BEER!!!!!!!!! I guess we won't be working any more then
__________________
We Don't Look for Problems.....They find Us.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 07:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,592
Food for thought: there was an article posted on this board recently but I don't know which sport it was under about over-hydrating and it's effects on thinning your blood.
__________________
Do you ever feel like your stuff strutted off without you?
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 8,154
Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
over-hydrating
Isn't that called drowning?
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jun 29, 2005, 10:53am
JEL JEL is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Food for thought: there was an article posted on this board recently but I don't know which sport it was under about over-hydrating and it's effects on thinning your blood.
Twas another board; http://eteamz.active.com/fastpitch/b...cfm?id=1329595


Here is link to article;

http://www.momsteam.com/alpha/featur...idelines.shtml
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 07:31am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,592
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Food for thought: there was an article posted on this board recently but I don't know which sport it was under about over-hydrating and it's effects on thinning your blood.
Twas another board; http://eteamz.active.com/fastpitch/b...cfm?id=1329595


Here is link to article;

http://www.momsteam.com/alpha/featur...idelines.shtml
Please don't confuse me with someone who goes to eteams.
__________________
Do you ever feel like your stuff strutted off without you?
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 440
I go to eteamz, I can use the comic relief from the posters in there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1