The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   This Weekend was Brutal (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/21041-weekend-brutal.html)

Blu_IN Mon Jun 27, 2005 01:01am

Wow, it was insanely hot out this weekend in Northern Indiana. Pretty sure we topped 100+ including the heat index both Saturday and Sunday. I have no clue how you Southern umpires can deal with this heat routinely. Got some tips for us Northerners that don't have to really deal with heat that much?

Just this weekend I became a big fan of those neck thingies with the pouchs of water you can throw in the cooler. It was incredible how well they worked.

azbigdawg Mon Jun 27, 2005 02:14am

drink water.

Steve M Mon Jun 27, 2005 03:40am

We had the same thing in Pa this weekend - and we had one guy who went down because he was not taking care of himself. Lots of water & gator-ade kinds of drinks, nothing carbonated, ... Make sure you have several uniform changes - putting on dry clothes will cool you down some. I also keep some lotion in the cooler - putting cold lotion on arms, face, & neck really cools things off, as does wiping off with a cold & wet towel. And, know when you've done all that you should. I took myself out of the final & the "if" game because I would not have been able to do either game justice - 9 games in 2 days of 95+ temps with close to 90% humidity was about all I could handle.

hitdawg23 Mon Jun 27, 2005 03:42am

water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water
water water water water water water water water water

I forgot to tell you that I did 20 games total Friday-Saturday-Sunday temps between 90-95 each day!!!!!!!! So I know you need water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water water

[Edited by hitdawg23 on Jun 27th, 2005 at 10:42 PM]

Duke Mon Jun 27, 2005 08:45am

We had the same thing up here in Maine for the states. Push 100 on Sat and mid 90's on Sunday. I called 7 games between Sat and Sun. Water, gatorade and cold towels did the trick. Lots of sun block.
I figure it gave me a taste of things to come in August when I head to Georgia for the 18U's for the week.

mcrowder Mon Jun 27, 2005 09:13am

100 WITH the heat index? Try it without the head index. :)

Everyone keeps telling you water. But you probably already go between games for water. It's important that you find a way to make water available between innings. Heat stroke or Heat Exhaustion can come on quick. A big thermos with a strap, with water and ICE, tied to the screen to keep it off the ground is what I do. Just a little bit between every half inning, or even DURING a very long inning, makes all the difference. The crushed ice in the water helps more than just water.

Plus I'll grab a gatorade between games.

Also - watch out for your catchers, especially at lower levels. These coaches don't know what they're going through, and the kids don't know enough to say something in the middle of an inning. If you're wanting water during an inning, they are too. Make sure they get it.

Worked a tourney a few weeks ago (it was over 100 and no wind at all) where we were even letting the coach bring water to the pitchers during innings, as long as they didn't coach.

SRW Mon Jun 27, 2005 09:47am

Check the weather report beforehand...

If you know it's gonna be hot on your tournament days, start hydrating yourself about 3 days ahead of time. For hot days, I use the following schedule:

3 days before: 1/2 gallon of water
2 days before: 1/2 to 3/4 gallon
1 day before: 3/4 to 1 gallon. No alcoholic drinks.

During tournaments, I make sure to get one bottle of water (12 oz) in before my first game, then I take one to the field. One or two bottles during each game, and usually a gatoraid/sports drink inbetween games. It's important that you keep your electrolytes up too, so make sure you have a few sports drinks during the day.

I find that the Safeway or Costco bottled water fits nicely into the chain link fence.

Also, make sure you get something to eat around lunch time. (one park here in the Seattle area has a guy who makes awesome cheesesteak sandwiches - half off for umpires! I can never resist temptation! ;) )

John Robertson Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:06am

It was brutally hot in southern Ontario too. I had the misfortune of working the plate in a game that began at 11:45 a.m. on Saturday. I brought a canteen of water that I consumed before the game. Luckily it was a fast-moving game. I got words of encouragement from both teams' coaches. Comments like, "Hang in there, Blue! Only two more innings left!" I wondered too how umpires in Georgia, Louisiana, etc. could cope with these conditions on a regular basis. You guys must be superhuman.

[Edited by John Robertson on Jun 27th, 2005 at 11:18 AM]

Steve M Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:32am

That's a good point - drink during the game not just before & after. I'll take 1-3 bottles of water with me to the field & stick them in some shade, maybe even a dugout. I'll take a small drink every half inning - but it still comes out faster than it goes in.......

5 sport ref Mon Jun 27, 2005 02:43pm

I called games this past weekend in a tournament in Northern Illinois. Yes, it was hot, between 96 and 98 degrees each day. Myself and 5 other umps wound up each calling 16 games over three days, with 6 games in a row on Sunday. We all agreed that this was better than calling one game in 35 degree weather early in the high school season. The major problem that we had was the infields were crushed limestone that reflected the heat back up. It had to be at least 10 degrees warmer in the infield compared to the outfield.

FUBLUE Mon Jun 27, 2005 05:03pm

Almost lost me this weekend

I only worked 4 on saturday and almost overheated.

Being big, and knowing I sweat a lot, I drank 1 20 oz gatorade and 2 20oz water before the games.

Drank 4 or 5, or me, 20oz water during games.

At least one gatorade and one water between games.

dumped water down back to cool off during plate games...had cold down with ice on my neck between games.

Sunday worked one game at 8:00AM...and it was close...but I was stupid and only had 3 bottles of water during that game.

Try to stay away from soda and beer (sigh) at least the day before the tourney, and don't usually drink during the tourney...but look out afterwards!

My only key is know your body and it's signs...it will tell you what it needs.

Steve M Mon Jun 27, 2005 08:27pm

FUBlue said "My only key is know your body and it's signs...it will tell you what it needs."

When you've done all that should be done and avoided all that should be avoided - sum it all up with 'what he said.'

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Mon Jun 27, 2005 08:34pm

For those who get Poland Spring in their area,they make a 'baby' 8 oz. bottle that fits very nicely with your extra ball in the old ASA ball bag with the elastic (keeps the ball cool too!). Two or three of those during innings,plus water & G-ade inbetween....on the bases frozen bottles by the fence..anyone ever try to FREEZE G-ade? I remember actually trying that once...thats when I found out that G-ade may be liquid...but sure aint water... :D

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Mon Jun 27, 2005 08:40pm

And just FYI, I learned the hard way,as I actually found myself clinging to a backstop once...lucky a real life EMT was playing the game,and got me all opened up -this was back when we wore Elbeco shirts....how did we ever survive THAT?? At least the mesh shirts BREATHE,and let some of the moisture evaporate...one other thing I do is sort of break the dress code,and wear some kind of heavy printed white t shirt underneath...that absorbs a LOT better than regular FOTL undershirts.

U_of_I_Blue Mon Jun 27, 2005 09:08pm

I didn't used to think that Underamor shirts could possibly actually work to help keep you cool. I went out and spent the 20 bucks on one before the beginning of the summer just to try out a little bit. I now love it. Helps keep the moisture away from your skin. You may end up with your outer shirt just looking like you fell in a lake (save a nice big dry spot on the front where your chest protector was), but man does it seem to keep me cooler. And any breeze that blows, feels 5x as good as it does with just a cotton undershirt. Never again will I wear a cotton undershirt.

-Josh