The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chiquita
Unhappy

Am I the only umpire not calling a slowpitch ball by where it lands? I am having tons and tons of slack from players that are calling pitchs that I call strikes as "Deep". If the ball crosses the plate within the strike zone, does not touch the plate, not excessive speed, and mets 6'-12', I am calling it a strike. Am I wrong?
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

You are not wrong.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 03:25pm
softball_junky

Thumbs up

No you are not. Sometimes they want to stand in the front of the box and complain the ball is over their head. They have to adjust, you do not. Keep calling it and tell them to stop complaining and swing the bat.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chiquita
Am I the only umpire not calling a slowpitch ball by where it lands? I am having tons and tons of slack from players that are calling pitchs that I call strikes as "Deep". If the ball crosses the plate within the strike zone, does not touch the plate, not excessive speed, and mets 6'-12', I am calling it a strike. Am I wrong?
Nope. I call probably the truest strike zone around here and yes, I do take some grief, but they are still strikes and the batter knows to swing or sit down. I also refuse to use their terminology (deep).
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

They often ask me, 'Was that deep?'...I reply 'It was high'. I get a funny look, but after awhile they catch on. A ball close to 12' drops in a spot, then one close to 6' hits the same spot...the first one is a ball, the second is a strike...I catch a little grief, I explain again that the strike zone is not determined by where the ball drops as long as it goes over part of the plate and doesn't touch it. Unless of couorse I do one of those weird leagues that has the 'Strike Mat' (which I hate and so do most players), in which case all I have to do is make sure the height and speed are ok on the pitch and see if it hits the mat. Makes calling balls and strikes easy, but actually takes away part of the strike zone on the sides, but adds some if the pitcher throws a 11-12' pitch to the back of the mat - especially on some of the shorter batters....I am subtly suggesting that the players complain about using the mat and ask their leagues to let the umpire make the call.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

I hear you, chiquita. I've been out for the last 19 years, and this is a huge problem for me right now. Am doing my best to follow the rule book to the tee, but there seem to be a lot of misimpressions in my local P&R league about what the strike zone actually is. I catch a lot of heat; but we all know that goes with the territory. You are right on the money.

The myths about the strike zone amaze me. I even had one catcher tell me that any ball that lands more than 18" behind the plate can't possibly be a strike. (Some of these conversations get hilarious, fast ... they'll swear it's in the rule book!) Sometimes I think my leg is getting pulled; but I know better.

I'm fortunate enough to have a couple of very experienced guys in my league decent enough to take their time to work with me on this.

Even though the umpire's manual says not to call "low", "high", "inside", "outside", "tall", "deep" (and all those other adjectives we could use to describe why a ball is a ball); I see just about every ump in my league doing it. It seems there's an expectation on the part of pitchers of automatic feedback. Having pitched, I can relate, but the official "book" says not to do this.

How does everybody else handle this?
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Thanks

Thanks for everyones input. I thought I was losing my mind. I do not give commentary or feedback after pitches. If they ask why it was a "ball", i always say "Because it was not in the strike zone." If the pitcher or batter continues to argue, I give them 5 seconds to continue or they get a ball/strike called automatically.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by noobie

Even though the umpire's manual says not to call "low", "high", "inside", "outside", "tall", "deep" (and all those other adjectives we could use to describe why a ball is a ball); I see just about every ump in my league doing it. It seems there's an expectation on the part of pitchers of automatic feedback. Having pitched, I can relate, but the official "book" says not to do this.
If they want to announce a game, they should get a microphone.
Quote:

How does everybody else handle this?
I call a true strike zone. If I have anything to say about the pitch, it's quietly between the catcher and myself. Eventually, the catcher will call the game for you if they are smart. Yeah, yeah, I know
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

What few slow pitch games I've done, I call pitches strikes if they're in the strike zone. Who care where they land (except for on the plate)?

In the SP league where I play, every umpire adds their little commentary to just about every ball call- high, low, outside, etc. This makes my skin crawl!

The guy last night was the worst. Not only "high", "low", whatever on every ball, but he would step up and place his foot in the spot the ball landed, I guess to show everyone the pitch was "deep" or "outside".

On some pitches that tailed outside, he would even use his hands to mimic the path of the ball, showing a sweeping curve while announcing "outside"!

To make things even more irritating, I was the pitcher for this game. I had to really bite my tongue, but I made no comments on the stupid mechanics, nor did I question any pitch calls made throughout the entire game.

I really wanted to say, "Who cares where the heck the darn ball lands! We're not playing "mat ball"! Just call the freakin' strike zone!". But, this guy seemed to be in a cranky mood from the get-go, and I really didn't want tick him off any more than he seemed to already be.

By-and-large, the umpires in our city slow pitch league are marginal, at best.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 02:27pm
softball_junky

I call a strike or ball. If they do ask I tell them inside/outside and I do use deep. If I say deep they act like they understand.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by softball_junky
...I do use deep. If I say deep they act like they understand.
I've never called a slow pitch game. But I'm curious. If you use "deep" what do you mean by it, and how does it relate to the strike zone?
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Tom,
That is a good question!
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by softball_junky
...I do use deep. If I say deep they act like they understand.
I've never called a slow pitch game. But I'm curious. If you use "deep" what do you mean by it, and how does it relate to the strike zone?
Some of the vernacular on the SP diamond is not necessarily by the book but has become accepted (if not expected) by many SP players. Describing a pitch as being "deep" simple refers to the position or flight path as it relates to the batter's box.

Likewise, the following words or phrases are quite commonplace in SP or at least understood by the masses:
  • flat (illegal pitch)
  • short (dirt in front of plate)
  • deep (deep in the batter's box)
  • dish (ball hit the plate)
  • gottabee (has to be fair ball)

Its always fun to work a game in a league where the players don't usually get an experienced, trained, mechanically proficient, and knowledgeable umpire. Yes, it takes about 1 inning for everyone to figure out that I am the real deal (as if the ground rules meeting wasn't enough) but its amazing how much fun we all have. I do not control the game but I am in control and never in an arrogant way.

I work hard at being a good umpire, I respect the rules and adhere to the mechanics and I am proud of my efforts.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

i think we ALL understand what the terms mean. the question i think impled that were it lands in relationship with the batters box doesnt matter.
Old Sat Jun 18, 2005, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chiquita
i think we ALL understand what the terms mean. the question i think impled that were it lands in relationship with the batters box doesnt matter.
Exactly.